Why this team will not make the NCAA tournament

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Here are 3 very major reasons why this team wont make it if they dont change these things.

-Free throws, they shot 54% last night vs a ND team that did nothing but foul because they knew we couldnt make them. What do you thing Duke Texas and Kansas will do? They have enough depth that they can foul the crap out of us.

-Open looks- We give away way to many open shots. last 3 games I have seen several wide open looks other teams have gotten and its pathetic. I mean atleast put a hand in their face and play some help defense.

-Streaky shooting, If they dont learn how to shoot the 3 ball more consistantly they could be in trouble. Last night their shooting looked awful in the first have to a very un-impressive North Dakota team.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
bobbummer.jpg

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Before posting this, you should do a little research. This team shoots:

-49.4% from the field, good for 20th in the nation.
-43.3% from the 3 pt line, good for 4th in the nation.
-64% from the FT line, most would agree this needs attention.

I agree with you about the defense, it needs work but it isn't horrible.

With the time off since the Iowa game, the team has gotten better. And with another long layout, I expect some of the defensive issues and free throw shooting to get a lot of attention.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I know a lot of you want to put your earmuffs on when having to hear or read about anything negative about our basketball team.

BUT, this guy's post is accurate. Our free throw shooting is terrible, and I've seen nothing to indicate it will get better. Our defense is suspect at times. We've still seen long streaks where it seems we can't buy a bucket. If these things don't improve, we won't make it to .500 or better in conference play and we will be lucky to make it to the NIT.

Reactions: CyGuy33

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
Here are 3 very major reasons why this team wont make it if they dont change.

3. Northern Iowa

2. Northwestern

1. California

We need a .500 Big XII record to make it.

A 7-9 might make it as long as we beat Houston, ND State, and win a game in KC. A win over Duke would go along way... 7-9 with the above wins in the 3 remaining non conference would make us a lock.

Last edited:

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Before posting this, you should do a little research. This team shoots:

-49.4% from the field, good for 20th in the nation.
-43.3% from the 3 pt line, good for 4th in the nation.
-64% from the FT line, most would agree this needs attention.

I agree with you about the defense, it needs work but it isn't horrible.

With the time off since the Iowa game, the team has gotten better. And with another long layout, I expect some of the defensive issues and free throw shooting to get a lot of attention.

3 pt shooting has gone down the last few games is what I am saying. Lucca has made 3 of his last 12. Craig is the only one i see shooting good from the 3 pt line.

And as far as shooting goes we go on to many dry spouts and high powered teams will be able to take advantage of those dry spells. North Dakota was shooting terrible as well otherwise we could have seen a much different game.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
3. Northern Iowa

2. Northwestern

1. Oregon State

A 7-9 might make it as long as we beat Houston, ND State, and win a game in KC. A win over Duke would go along way... 7-9 with the above wins in the 3 remaining non conference would make us a lock.

Huh? Have you paid attention to our schedule this year, or are you still stuck in the past? :confused:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
3. Northern Iowa

2. Northwestern

1. Oregon State

A 7-9 might make it as long as we beat Houston, ND State, and win a game in the Tournament. A win over Duke would go along way... 7-9 with the above wins in the 3 remaining non conference would make us a lock.

What does Oregon State have to do with anything? The main reason they wont make it, and I have been saying this for weeks now...mental toughness. This is why ISU came out sluggish last night, and the main reason for their 3 losses.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I know a lot of you want to put your earmuffs on when having to hear or read about anything negative about our basketball team.

BUT, this guy's post is accurate. Our free throw shooting is terrible, and I've seen nothing to indicate it will get better. Our defense is suspect at times. We've still seen long streaks where it seems we can't buy a bucket. If these things don't improve, we won't make it to .500 or better in conference play and we will be lucky to make it to the NIT.

You just described every college team in the country. Everyone is like that. Defense is getting better and it will be fine, one thing Greg is good at is being a defensive coach. Offense is another question. Now the free throws, that is a real concern.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Beleive it or not DG is the problem on the free throw line. He has major trouble there. It's a very low percentage for a point guard. Also if he can hit that kick out 3 on a constant basis. That would be huge for ISU. They would have to come out on guard it opening up the middle more. Kind of like Jacy Holloway could do his senor year.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Beleive it or not DG is the problem on the free throw line. He has major trouble there. It's a very low percentage for a point guard. Also if he can hit that kick out 3 on a constant basis. That would be huge for ISU. They would have to come out on guard it opening up the middle more. Kind of like Jacy Holloway could do his senor year.

Last night on the intentional foul dendy missed both of his free throws, colvin airballed one last night, everyone shoots terrible free throws. As much as this team gets to the line they should be shooting a lot higher percentage.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Jeeesh! Apparently some people are never satisfied. Now I know where all of those whiny little kids that i remember being around ten to twenty years ago have gone to.

Lighten up - If you are constantly looking around for things to complain about, you are in for a miserable life.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Jeeesh! Apparently some people are never satisfied. Now I know where all of those whiny little kids that i remember being around ten to twenty years ago have gone to.

Lighten up - If you are constantly looking around for things to complain about, you are in for a miserable life.

Its not like im pointing out that they are not a good team or not talented. The difference between a good team and a great team is defense and free throws. The coaching staff should be taking care of this but i have yet to have seen any improvement

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

This is more critical than many other of our ft shooters. In close games the teams that can get it to the PG and have him shoot 80%+ are far better off. I suppose we can manage if we have anybody shooting a good percentage at that point but its tougher if that player can't handle the ball well and avoid steals. I don't know why this is such a problem but I hope Mac fixes it somehow. We have proven that we can beat teams we should beat easily, even if we don't mash them as much as some here would like. We have also proven that we are not tough in close games and poor FT shooting will only make this harder to change.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Yes, DG has always been inconsistent (read: bad) at free throws, but he is not the entire problem. It's a team problem.

I agree with you about his 3-pt shooting though. If he can keep hitting a few of those, it would help free up the middle even more. He was 3-5 last night. It would be nice for him to be about 35-40% on average from 3-pt range, which seems reasonable given his ability (and he is 6-15, 40% for the season right now).

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Its not like im pointing out that they are not a good team or not talented. The difference between a good team and a great team is defense and free throws. The coaching staff should be taking care of this but i have yet to have seen any improvement

I'm not sure what about our defense you're upset about. I think last night was the best game defensively we've seen all year (as it should have been). Last night UND shot, what, 28% from the floor? Our defense drove our offense last night, which is what this team will have to do to be successful.

And free throws are not an overnight fix. Nor is this something the team can spend time in organized practices on during the season. The guys need to utilize the new practice facility and work on their mechanics on their own time.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Yes, DG has always been inconsistent (read: bad) at free throws, but he is not the entire problem. It's a team problem.

I agree with you about his 3-pt shooting though. If he can keep hitting a few of those, it would help free up the middle even more. He was 3-5 last night. It would be nice for him to be about 35-40% on average from 3-pt range, which seems reasonable given his ability (and he is 6-15, 40% for the season right now).

Everyone is shooting terrible free throws, if the game came down to us making 2 free throws to win it the only person i could trust on that line right now would be craig.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
I get so tired of reading down the list of threads and seeing these types of things! :confused::no::nah:

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I'm not sure what about our defense you're upset about. I think last night was the best game defensively we've seen all year (as it should have been). Last night UND shot, what, 28% from the floor? Our defense drove our offense last night, which is what this team will have to do to be successful.

And free throws are not an overnight fix. Nor is this something the team can spend time in organized practices on during the season. The guys need to utilize the new practice facility and work on their mechanics on their own time.

My problem with the defense is that they give to many easy buckets and open shots. One of these games we are going to play some one that can hit these open shots that we are leaving. North Dakota is not a good example that team hasnt shot well all season regardless of the defense.