Email/Exchange Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
One of our users is having trouble reaching an agency. He is getting email undeliverable messages after our exchange server tries and tries. Their admin says its a problem on our end.

In the exchange logs it claims that we are probably blacklisted by their ISP or other intermediary. This makes sense to me since we are able to recieve emails from this agency but we cannot send to them.

Anyone have any other input? Im getting a tad miffed that the admin there is just pointing the finger without bothering to do any work.

We have no problems sending to any other agencies or individuals.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
What is your server IP? I have a pay service I subscribe to I can check the IP against to really make sure it's not listed in any black lists.

You can check if your IP is on a blacklist here (it's not as good as the pay one):
Email Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted

Also make sure your IP reverse lookups to the A record Exchange is reporting itself as. Make sure the A record points to the IP also. Some servers will reject if they don't all match.

If that all checks out you can make some sender records in your DNS. I typically don't, but you can.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah I have used that one. I get OK's on everything but

CSMA
btn_yellow.gif
TIMEOUTERROR, Reponse code=2 0
SOLID
btn_yellow.gif
Spamhaus-ZEN
btn_yellow.gif
TIMEOUT0
SPAMRBL
btn_yellow.gif

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Then it's your IP's reverse record not matching what your SMTP server is reporting.

Or I've seen a few cases where they have lists of what are supposed to be dynamic IP's that DSL or cable systems are handing out to home users and an IP gets on that list.

Or this place uses a private blacklist and you got on it. I've seen that happen a few times because of email content.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ugh, I really dont know what to do. Everything was fine until this group came along.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
apparently we showed up on a blacklist "backscatterer.org" Super.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
apparently we showed up on a blacklist "backscatterer.org" Super.

According to their website, they believe that your Exchange Server is improperly configured.

Backscatterer.org Backscatter

Backscatterer.org Sender Callouts

Backscatterer.org Test IP

Backscatterer.org Contact

They have kind of a harsh attitude, but perhaps there is something not quite right with your server configuration.

A few years back our Exchange Server got on some blacklist. We did have a configuration problem, and once we fixed our server, we got off the list.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We use postini and dont have it configured for outbound services yet. I hope that this will help some once that is up and running. Apparently some places are more anal than others.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Postini outbound will help. Then Postini has to worry about keeping their IP clean not you. Unless they leave your server in the headers and receiving servers filter off that.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Postini outbound will help. Then Postini has to worry about keeping their IP clean not you.

Thats my plan. :smile:

Thanks for you help everyone. Its much appreciated. I hate troubleshooting email issues because there are flaws everywhere and Im just not that versed on it.