Interesting Basketball Story out of Iowa City

Status
Not open for further replies.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Pretty true....will be interesting for their basketball team.

Iowa City, IA (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Johnson County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Iowa Hawkeyes, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Reactions: Cyfan322

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
alcohol_hangover1.jpg

Reactions: kilgore_trout

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Well, it's not like this doesn't happen in johnson county (or iowa).

I didn't make this joke up though, don't worry.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I dunno. Experiencing it and seeing it as real has a way of making such things not terribly funny.

I used to work with juvenile delinquents as well as shelter children. Believe me when I say, child abuse isn't funny. With that said, this is a joke with no realism behind it. It's okay to laugh.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Yeah, same here. I'm sure the other people love "git er done" jokes instead of ones where you build up to the punchline.
this joke fails because of the content not the buildup. child abuse just doesn't tweak my funnybone for some reason.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I used to work with juvenile delinquents as well as shelter children. Believe me when I say, child abuse isn't funny. With that said, this is a joke with no realism behind it. It's okay to laugh.
It's a joke in poor taste. There are things that shouldn't be made into a joke lest they be taken lightly. Rape, murder, abuse, and molestation are at the top of that list. At least in my own opinion.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Dang, I think we need to have a CF trip to the bar - some of y'all need to lighten up and enjoy some humor in life!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Well... I did get this joke but dissing ISU's Football team right before the Iowa vs ISU game.

Wow.. flipped to the Iowa game.. The band takes up the biggest area of seats in one section, and yet it looked like not all of them showed up.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Dang, I think we need to have a CF trip to the bar - some of y'all need to lighten up and enjoy some humor in life!
I'll just become more belligerent about it. I just don't find the humor in it because I feel that it's a gravely serious issue. Sorry to damper the mood.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
The first time I heard this joke I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur.

Yes I stole that from Step Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.