Neighbor's Dog Problem

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I have a neighbor that lives across the street and down a house. They have 2 pit bull type mix dogs. These dogs are continuously running around our neighborhood, unleashed, coming on different properties, doing their thing, etc.

The first time, I went over and told them their animal was ******* and ******** around our kids sandbox, picnic table. They said ok, sorry. I thought ok, no big deal. The next time, I was in the back yard raking leaves, and one of them came through the gate, growled and stared at me. So I smacked it with my rake. (prob not the smartest thing to do)

I called animal control, they said to call them when the animals are out. Lots of good that does, the dogs are back in by the time they get there. Today I was shoveling with my 5 and 2 yr old and 7 month old basset. The basset was leashed, the kids were not.

The smaller one came over, was going after my dog, I hit it with my shovel and it went back and stood on the sidewalk. What's the next step? Police? They have been there 4 times in the last yr for multiple things. Mostly disputes between the couple. Once 9 police cars showed up. Shows you what kind of people they are. It did make for an interesting Fri night though.

Should I go renegade and put a pellet in their legs the next time they venture over? Try and trap them in the garage? Bowl of antifreeze on their trail? Call the A Team?

Any thoughts.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
i think you were on to something with the shovel to the side of the head.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I assume you are concerned for the safety of your children and Basset, because these dogs are unfriendly at best. I would call the police so if there is a record of you complaining. Not sure if they are going to do much unless you tell them that the dogs went after your kids, they make take the dogs away. However if the dogs attack your dog or kid - you could sue the police for not doing anything.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I assume you are concerned for the safety of your children and Basset, because these dogs are unfriendly at best. I would call the police so if there is a record of you complaining. Not sure if they are going to do much unless you tell them that the dogs went after your kids, they make take the dogs away. However if the dogs attack your dog or kid - you could sue the police for not doing anything.

I am concerned for the kids and my own dog. I called again tonight. They have record of me calling before. I hope the owner of the house sells it soon instead of renting to these losers.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I am concerned for the kids and my own dog. I called again tonight. They have record of me calling before. I hope the owner of the house sells it soon instead of renting to these losers.

call the owner of the house and express your concerns and he will start to think about his liability.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

if it is a rental property, call the landlord.....first they may not be able to have that type of animial in the house or the landlord i am guessing he has some liability of the renters if their dog attacks somone, since he owns the property.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
if it is a rental property, call the landlord.....first they may not be able to have that type of animial in the house or the landlord i am guessing he has some liability of the renters if their dog attacks somone, since he owns the property.

that's one thing we haven't done. good idea.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
I'd agree with this. Legal channels will take for ever and lawyer costs a lot. Who do you know on your city council. They also could be liable letting this go on.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Just follow the system, and it will work.
Call the police, animal control every time you see it.
Call the landlord, be polite, but explain you are reporting it, and if there is a problem since he has been notified you will hold all responsiible
If in your yard feel free to protect as needed, but forget the crap about the antifreeze.
Just do what you need to do, correctly.