Talent Compared to Rest of Big XII

ILINHoops

Dec 20, 2009
I believe that ISU has the third most talented team in the Big XII behind Texas and Kansas. Craig Brackins may be the top player in the league. Gilstrap and Garrett could start for just about any program as well and Dendy adds another strong element to the team. Christopherson, Staiger, and Colvin are all good role players and, though he's injured, I still believe that Pomlee will be a very, very good player by the time he leaves Ames. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I believe that ISU has the third most talented team in the Big XII behind Texas and Kansas. Craig Brackins may be the top player in the league. Gilstrap and Garrett could start for just about any program as well and Dendy adds another strong element to the team. Christopherson, Staiger, and Colvin are all good role players and, though he's injured, I still believe that Pomlee will be a very, very good player by the time he leaves Ames. What are everyone else's thoughts?
I wouldn't say we're third but somewhere between 5-8 sounds right. I really disagree with you on Pomlee. What has he shown you that you think that?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We have alot of talent in the frontcourt, but it's guard play that wins games in college basketball and we are still towards the bottom in that category.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009

Not a chance they are the 3rd most talented. If that is the case, they're undefeated right now and likely going to the sweet 16. Think about your statement. Iowa State is 3rd in the conference between the #1 and #2 team in the country? don't get me wrong, I love the Cyclones and think we're going to have a strong year, but we're not that good. If we are #3 in terms of talent, that doesn't say much about the Big 12 and might be the biggest drop-off in talent between the second best and third best team in any conference.

Brackins is undeniably one of the top 5 players in the conference. Gilstrap would start at a lot of these schools but not DG.

Agree with Dendy, SC, Lucca and Colvin, but aren't feeling you on the Pomlee statement.

Spam

May 21, 2008
This is the most talented team in at least the last 4 years. And we may not get a team this talented in the next 4 years. Which is why the 3 game losing streak was so disappointing. Not making the NCAA this year could break ISU bball.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009

We have some talent but there is absolutely no way that Diante Garrett could start for "about any Big 12 Program".

Last edited:

ILINHoops

Dec 20, 2009
I've seen Pomlee play since he was about a sophomore or junior and high school and I've always like his game but questioned when we signed him due to his style of play. At the time we didn't really run much and I've always seen that LA thrived in uptempo systems. But now that we are uptempo I think that if he can get stronger he could have a good future. He runs the floor well, is very athletic, and (with added strength) could be a good finisher around the rim. He needs to work on becoming more active and if he can do that he could cause havoc on the glass and could be a key shotblocker. I think all the tools are there.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
K state has been a surprise. Texas and KU have separated themselves as the elite. 3 through 8 in the conference is debatable. We fit in there somewhere.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
10 days ago people were saying we only had one legit D1 player and now we have the third most talent in the BigXII?

For the record, I disagree with both statements.

This is; however, McD's most talented team, and it isn't really even close

ILINHoops

Dec 20, 2009
We have some talent but there is absolutely no way that Diante Garrett would start for about any Big 12 Program.

DG couldn't start at Kansas but I'd take him over Texas' Balbay and the point guards from CU, Mizzou, Nebraska, TX Tech, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma (assuming Warren's the 2 guard). I'm not saying that ISU is the third best team in the conference but think they are top 3-5 when basing it purely off talent alone.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
KU, Texas, Kstate, OU, Okie State, Baylor and aTm are all more talented than us IMO. Doesn't mean we can't be better than a few of them but the talent is overhyped on this board because of how badly we've been missing it the past 2 seasons.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
We have some talent but there is absolutely no way that Diante Garrett could start for "about any Big 12 Program".

I don't understand the lack of credit for DG. He's first in the conference in assists per game with 6. He has a 3:1 A/T ratio, and he adds nearly 8 points a game. I'll take those numbers from a point guard any time

Reactions: isuno1fan

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
We have alot of talent in the frontcourt, but it's guard play that wins games in college basketball and we are still towards the bottom in that category.

ding ding ding. As much as I like to watch Lucca, him as the #2 is going to limit the success of ISU. His unable to get a shot off the past 3 weeks, he is not a defensive stopper.

DG was a lot more agressive today, typically I am a big DG hater because is lack of aggression - he will need to attack the basket more for ISU to be successful. Gilstrap and Brackins can carry ISU to the middle of the pack of the Big 12, it is going to be DG and Lucca + the bench that decide if this is a Tourney team or not

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand the lack of credit for DG. He's first in the conference in assists per game with 6. He has a 3:1 A/T ratio, and he adds nearly 8 points a game. I'll take those numbers from a point guard any time

I'm CyFever and I support this message.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
DG couldn't start at Kansas but I'd take him over Texas' Balbay and the point guards from CU, Mizzou, Nebraska, TX Tech, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma (assuming Warren's the 2 guard).

I would guess he's around 6-8th in the league. Don't get me wrong, he is very respectable and we can make the tournament with him as a role player but there is no way he's an elite Big 12 point guard like you are implying that could start almost anywhere. We have had major problems when teams have played way off of Diante on Defense showing no respect for his outside shot. It causes us to play 4 on 5. A PG who could nail open threes would be huge for this team. If Diante could finish his drives around the basket he could be a great Big 12 guard, but he hasn't been able to do that consistently at all, and when you combine that with his atrocious outside shot he just isn't there yet. Hopefully he will improve and get there.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I would guess he's around 6-8th in the league. Don't get me wrong, he is very respectable and we can make the tournament with him as a role player but there is no way he's an elite Big 12 point guard like you are implying that could start almost anywhere. We have had major problems when teams have played way off of Diante on Defense showing no respect for his outside shot. It causes us to play 4 on 5. A PG who could nail open threes would be huge for this team. If Diante could finish his drives around the basket he could be a great Big 12 guard, but he hasn't been able to do that consistently at all, and when you combine that with his atrocious outside shot he just isn't there yet. Hopefully he will improve and get there.

I think he's a top half PG with the tempo controlling and ball distribution that he does. I think that he would be a great PG and would improve us immensely if he could either finish at the rim more consistently or hit the open three.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009

I simply said he couldn't start anywhere at PG in the Big 12. I wouldn't say thats not giving him any credit. He has trouble finishing drives at times and his outside shot is very suspect. I love the 6 assists a game but he is shooting 23% on 3's since the start of last year and 65% from the line this year. Good teams are going to start not even guarding him just like UNI and its going to hurt CB and MG. In our three losses he only averaged 7 points 5 assists 2 rebounds and shot 39% from the field and 22% from 3. Hopefully he steps it up and plays like an all big 12 PG. It could happen and I it hope it does but he hasn't been consistent enough yet.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I simply said he couldn't start anywhere at PG in the Big 12. I wouldn't say thats not giving him any credit. He has trouble finishing drives at times and his outside shot is very suspect. I love the 6 assists a game but he is shooting 23% on 3's since the start of last year and 65% from the line this year. Good teams are going to start not even guarding him just like UNI and its going to hurt CB and MG. In our three losses he only averaged 7 points 5 assists 2 rebounds and shot 39% from the field and 22% from 3. Hopefully he steps it up and plays like an all big 12 PG. It could happen and I it hope it does but he hasn't been consistent enough yet.

I guess I didn't necessarily mean you weren't giving him credit. It sounded like you weren't but I understand what you mean now that you've elaborated. It just seems like a lot of people on here have knocked him before and it gripes me. I don't think he will ever be a strong shooter. If he can knock down the 15 foot jumper more consistently I would be thrilled. It's great that he isn't shooting as much this year. With the exception of the UNI game he's taken very few shots, and the ones he does take are usually in the lane. I'm perfectly fine with him going 4/7 from the field every game. You said in our three losses he averaged 7 points and 5 assists. That's close to what he's averaging on the season. That doesn't bother me. As long as his 7 points are a result of him going somewhere around 3/5 or 3/7 from the field and not 3/14; and he doesn't turn the ball over. McD must've told him to shoot more in the UNI game because he was launching up everything. A lot of them were open, but unless there's 4 seconds left on the shot clock or he's been stroking it all game, I think we'd all rather someone else take those shots. I didn't understand why Colvin didn't play more during the UNI game. He can knock down those shots. Garrett is averaging a low percentage, but at least he's not shooting the ball nearly as much this year.

I'm rambling now... end