Has my Wireless Router bit the dust?

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Ok I am using my neighbors signal to write this message.

I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. I have been having major connectivity problems with it. It is connected to a regular router from my cable provider. All the lights on the cable router are normal and I can connect hardwire to it just fine. When I go to my wireless router it will let me connect to the net work for a bit then all lights go off except the power light. If I unplug it and turn it back on it does the same thing. I switched ethernet cables from the 2 routers as well, so it souldn't be a bad cable.

Any out there that can help me?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I had a problem with my netgear that it suddenly did not recognize my modem connection. I don't know what the issue was but I never got it working again. If you replace it I recommend looking at ASUS routers from Newegg. They look a lot like the netgear but are made to run an open-source interface. I got one with a usb port for printers for pretty cheap. It's been working well for a while now.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Yeah sounds like some sort of bad news in the radio side of things.

My guess is that it's shot.

Or that you have a bad power supply.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
If I unplug it and plug it back in I can get a signal for a few minutes at a time. Then all lights but the power light go off.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It sounds like it's game over. You might want to try doing a hard reset of the unit using the reset button on the back, reconfigure the network, and see if it helps.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If I unplug it and plug it back in I can get a signal for a few minutes at a time. Then all lights but the power light go off.

Sounds like its done. Is it in an area with ventilation or is it packed in with a bunch of other electronics? It could be heat related (either overheating, or damage already done due to heat). If its overheatng, that problem can be corrected, if its damaged due to heat, you can keep that in mind for the next router.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
It sounds like it's game over. You might want to try doing a hard reset of the unit using the reset button on the back, reconfigure the network, and see if it helps.

I don't have any of the original packaging/manual/CD

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Sounds like its done. Is it in an area with ventilation or is it packed in with a bunch of other electronics? It could be heat related (either overheating, or damage already done due to heat). If its overheatng, that problem can be corrected, if its damaged due to heat, you can keep that in mind for the next router.

It's right out in the open. Shouldn't be a heat issue.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
It's right out in the open. Shouldn't be a heat issue.

As long as it isn't sitting on top of anything warm.

I would also make sure that the power adapter itself has a little bit of air, and isn't getting too hot, either. Heat can cause power signals to get pretty dirty (noisy, inconsistent) depending on the circuity, and that can wreak havoc on small voltage devices.

If neither of these is a problem, though, it sounds like your router is done.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
As long as it isn't sitting on top of anything warm.

I would also make sure that the power adapter itself has a little bit of air, and isn't getting too hot, either. Heat can cause power signals to get pretty dirty (noisy, inconsistent) depending on the circuity, and that can wreak havoc on small voltage devices.

If neither of these is a problem, though, it sounds like your router is done.

Everything is all out in the open. Sounds more and more like it could be toast.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I had a Netgear 614. It was a piece of ****. Note the verb had.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Thanks all for the help. Sounds like it has bit the dust. Problem is I live in a 1 horse town and the closest Best Buy is 2 hours away. My options are pretty limited.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I don't have any of the original packaging/manual/CD

You don't need the CD or anything to set up one of these routers.

There are plenty of guides out there for the menus and whatnot to go through on the internal web portal to get it up and running. Just search for your router's model

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks all for the help. Sounds like it has bit the dust. Problem is I live in a 1 horse town and the closest Best Buy is 2 hours away. My options are pretty limited.

Even a one horse town has to have a new Wal-Mart on the edge of town after closing the original one down the street. They carry a decent selection of routers as long as you do your homework ahead of time and don't rely on them for technical advise. In that way they are no different than Best Buy.

If that's not an option, you can get whatever you need online.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
I had a problem with my netgear that it suddenly did not recognize my modem connection. I don't know what the issue was but I never got it working again. If you replace it I recommend looking at ASUS routers from Newegg. They look a lot like the netgear but are made to run an open-source interface. I got one with a usb port for printers for pretty cheap. It's been working well for a while now.

I'll second this. Unless you absolutely need an N router, get the Asus WL-520gU from newegg (probably the one Clonehomer is talking about) and load Tomato ND on it. Once it's set up, it runs super solid, you won't have to mess with it. If you want to use the USB port on the back, get the teddy bear mod version of Tomato.

Last edited:

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Even a one horse town has to have a new Wal-Mart on the edge of town after closing the original one down the street. They carry a decent selection of routers as long as you do your homework ahead of time and don't rely on them for technical advise. In that way they are no different than Best Buy.

If that's not an option, you can get whatever you need online.

Closest Walmart is 50 minutes away.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
If I just use it for browsing the internet and some online poker, do i really need to buy one of those "higher end models" This last one served me well for about 4 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron