"Avatar" getting rave reviews.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I guess, it just looked like a new-Star Wars-esque CGI orgy to me, but maybe I'll have to check it out. I'd normally wait for DVD on something I'm shaky on, but this one probably is better on a big screen.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
man, it just doesn't look that good to me in the previews. Am I the only one?

I agree, in the previews I saw it looked terrible, like one of the new star wars movies, just a bunch of gigantic CGI battle scenes. I have read several things saying hollywood insiders are in awe of it and that its going to be groundbreaking. Not sure which to think at this point but I guess its worth a look on the big screen?

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I'm definitely not over-excited to see it. Seems like a perfect dollar theatre movie, if I still lived in Ames.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I have absolutely no desire to see this.

There have got to be plenty of directors who do a great movie and follow it up with a dud. Titanic was huge for a reason. I don't see this one following.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm definitely not over-excited to see it. Seems like a perfect dollar theatre movie, if I still lived in Ames.

I miss that place. That is one of the top five things I miss about Ames. It just so nice having somewhere to go that was cheap on a weekend when you had nothing going on.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I'll admit, I'm a little intrigued by it, mainly because I have absolutely no clue what's going on in those previews. Is it supposed to be another planet or something or are they just avatars that go out and fight? I really haven't looked into it.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Its about sigoureny weaver fighting other worldly beings. something seems vaguely familiar about that.

Sigourney-Weaver-in-Alien-001.jpg

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Does she operate a giant robotic body suit?

I'm almost positive I saw giant robotic body suits in the previews.

On a slightly different note, what do people think of the new 3D trend? Looks like it's here to stay for awhile. I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping it would just be a passing gimmick/fad.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'll admit, I'm a little intrigued by it, mainly because I have absolutely no clue what's going on in those previews. Is it supposed to be another planet or something or are they just avatars that go out and fight? I really haven't looked into it.

I'm also pretty intrigued. I didn't think much of it the first couple times I saw the preview, but I go to the movies a lot for my job and have seen the in theater preview like 10 times. About the 6th time it got me kind of hooked.