Red Light/Speeding Camera's coming to Cedar Rapids

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Stop lights and 55 mph+ speed zones do not mix very well, IMO. I hate those kind of roads.

And I hate red light/speeding cameras even more. That's what police officers are for.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
They have them where I live. Trust me. They suck. they usually place them in areas where there is a sub-standard roadway design or condition ensuring the cameras pay for themselves.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I swear they changed the lights to garner more tickets from these on Hickman in Clive.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
here in albuquerque, the photo enforced lights were found to have shorter yellow lights by up to 3 seconds shorter, thus causing more infractions and generating more money to the company. I know europe uses this stuff, and I agree that london should use cameras for arresting hoodlums, but this computer generated citation is BS.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
Anyone in CR that can test and see how long the yellow at a camera enforced light is compared to a non camera intersection should try and let us know!

I must say that going 6 over and downhill was my first red light camera infraction, and it ****** me off because I didnt know they were for speeding too.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah, a lot of instances where the yellow light time is manipulated to generate revenue.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I got busted by a red light camera for turning right on a red without fully coming to a stop. It was right after the light for my direction changed to red. I appealed and the officer let me off.

I don't mind them. Red light running (and the accidents caused by it) are terrible around here. Not enough money to pay cops...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
As soon as the speed cameras go up in Des Moines (it's been approved), I will be removing my front license plate.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As soon as the speed cameras go up in Des Moines (it's been approved), I will be removing my front license plate.

Theyre going to go forward with that? The idea of putting them on 235 pisses me off since the limits are set WAY too low on there. really theres not much reason it should drop below 65, now that we have more and wider lanes.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Theyre going to go forward with that? The idea of putting them on 235 pisses me off since the limits are set WAY too low on there. really theres not much reason it should drop below 65, now that we have more and wider lanes.

Where on 235 would they put them? It would have to be around downtown where the shoulders narrow and there isn't room to pull someone over.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The red light cams don't bother me, I've seen a few near accidents from people trying to beat the light that should have just stopped. But using those cams to catch speeders ticks me off. What I wonder is what kind of speed range will trigger a ticket? Right now the red light cams they have a bit of liency with what a red light is. If you are in the intersection when the light is yellow they let it go if it turns red but if you blow a stone cold red you get a ticket. Same with right on red, if you make a reasonable attempt to stop before turning right on red they let it go but if you just roll right through without stopping its a ticket. So what gets a ticket, 5mph over, 10, or just 1 or 2 over?

What sucks even more that in this state of economy with budgets being cut you can bet that they aren't giving many warnings out for things anymore because a ticket is money they won't have in the funds and tickets costing around $80 or so add up quickly.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yep. The traffic patrols (especially on 235) are there for 1. revenue generation and 2. public safety. In that order.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron