Aggie Fanbase

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Watching the Texas @ Texas A&M game, I'm amazed at how energetic the fans are. Certainly the rivalry and the fact this is the only college football game on TV in the nation tonight are factors into the excitement level, but I'm still impressed. Not to mention the fact that A&M is probably the most underrated team in the Big 12. It's enough to make them my 2nd favorite Big 12 team.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I've never really found anything to not like about the Aggies, but I've also had family go to school there so maybe a little biased. Always been treated well even when decked out in ISU gear, the students at the bars and fans in the tailgate lots have always been polite and welcoming before/after the game win or lose.

I think in the A&M-Texas rivalry, A&M is like ISU (ag-heavy, blue collar, right-leaning, perennial underdog in the series) while Texas is like Iowa (business & medicine, liberal, favorite, the more popular "bandwagon" team, etc). Not a shot against Texas or UI, just my observations.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I've always been a fan of A&M as well. If I had to pick a second favorite school in the Big 12 it would probably be them. I'd love to have their tradition and pageantry at football games.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd have to agree with all the statements. Going down for the football game this year I was in shock with how cordial they are. Buy you beers at a bar, stop you while you are walking and tell you to come have a burger, people telling you to drive safe back home. The town, campus, and people were ridiculously hospitable.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Actually A&M was my school of choice coming out of highschool but I backed out late and went to ISU instead. Always have been a cyclone fan, but very much liked their academics and campus as well. I hate cold winters so naturally A&M had an edge at one point =)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
They are still a Texas school and not an original member of the Big 8. I can't like them for those reasons alone.

OSU is my 2nd favorite team in the B12.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I've never really found anything to not like about the Aggies, but I've also had family go to school there so maybe a little biased. Always been treated well even when decked out in ISU gear, the students at the bars and fans in the tailgate lots have always been polite and welcoming before/after the game win or lose.

I think in the A&M-Texas rivalry, A&M is like ISU (ag-heavy, blue collar, right-leaning, perennial underdog in the series) while Texas is like Iowa (business & medicine, liberal, favorite, the more popular "bandwagon" team, etc). Not a shot against Texas or UI, just my observations.

Pretty close observation/comparison, although outside of the AG dept, I don't think Iowa State really leans a certain way politically, the state of Iowa and definitely college campuses have been leaned to the left (not starting anything just an observation myself)

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Walk the campus, the feel very similar, A&M feels like a larger ISU.

Sitting here between and Aggie son rooting for his Alma mater, and an ISU son seeking the TX win fo r best bowl options.

Simply a shoot out.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale

If you followed your politics, you would know that Texas is 100% red.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
The comparison to A&M/TU, as compared ISU/EIU is valid, both in terms of fans, funding, and the schools themselves.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, they are. Texas A&M plays very, very well at home.

Well, they've played only one really decent opponent at home this year - Oklahoma State - and lost to them.
As the announcers just said, the Texas D has been exposed tonight. They just don't look like they belong in a national title game to me.