Players this State has Lost

clone205

Apr 10, 2006
I don't want to make this another HB thread but over the last 10 years we have lost alot of good quality players to out of state programs. I would like to see for once a decision come down to Iowa State and Iowa. Such players are
1999- Collison/ Hinrich- Kansas
2001- McKinney- Creighton
2002- Funk- Creighton
2004- Lillis- Alabany, Binnie- Dayton
2005- Garner- Evansville, Kanaskie (was a former Dowling guy) Middle Tenn. State
2007- Printy- Indiana State
2006- Bohannon- Wisconsin
2008- Gibbs- Gonzaga
2009- Bohannon- Air Force, Hutcheson- Western Michigan
2010- Barnes- UNC, Creekmur- Santa Clara

Just a few players we have lost to out of state teams. Some mid-major players, but had good careers at their respective schools.

clone205

Apr 10, 2006
I didn't name everyone. I just tried to think of the top couple players in each class that I know didn't choose Iowa or Iowa State.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Keep in mind that some of these guys went out of state because they didn't get an offer or a serious offer from in-state.

It's not all "woe is me".

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
The thing that stood out to me on this list was that most of these guys went to mid-major schools. Did we really "lose out" on these players if the next best place for them was a small conference school? Keep in mind that if we had signed even a few of these guys that takes scholarships from guys like Boozer, JVB, Pomlee, etc. And then the Mac haters would be out even stronger complaining that we can't get the big name recruits and all we can get are mid-level Iowa kids.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We did pretty damn well without Hinrich, remember that.

clone205

Apr 10, 2006
The thing that stood out to me on this list was that most of these guys went to mid-major schools. Did we really "lose out" on these players if the next best place for them was a small conference school? Keep in mind that if we had signed even a few of these guys that takes scholarships from guys like Boozer, JVB, Pomlee, etc. And then the Mac haters would be out even stronger complaining that we can't get the big name recruits and all we can get are mid-level Iowa kids.

Yes! Some of these kids were mid-majors. However, no offense to boozer, JVB, Pomlee or kids like Haluska, etc..but Nate Funk, Tyler McKinney, etc..are at a different level than those guys, even if they did play at their mid-majors.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
Technically CU is in Nebraska, but its not like those guys went too far. They are about 10 feet from the Iowa border.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We didn't offer a lot of these guys, so we didn't really lose them. Some we should have offered though.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Technically CU is in Nebraska, but its not like those guys went too far. They are about 10 feet from the Iowa border.

I also don't think of private schools as defined by a state. They usually are either local, regional, or national in status. Creighton would be regional which certainly includes a portion of Iowa.

clone205

Apr 10, 2006
We didn't offer a lot of these guys, so we didn't really lose them. Some we should have offered though.

Good point CloneIce!

In no way, players that go to Creighton is no big deal or is it in anyway part of Iowa. They compete in the same conference against Drake and Northern Iowa so when a player goes there, just like everywhere else, we have lost him to an out-of-state school.