Many Great Players Go To..

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Duke and North Carolina. Many are on the national spotlight every week. Here's the thing though: Almost everyone on Duke and North Carolina are great. You sign with them because you're great, but everyone else who signs with them is usually just as good as you (well not always, but usually). Harrison is an extremely good basketball player at this point in his life, but he should realize there's going to be guys he has to compete with on the same team that are just as good as him.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying that I have seen a lot of great players at Duke and UNC not get their shot to play much just purely because of the competition level even though they're very good players. If they would have gone to a "smaller" program (i.e. let's say a Michigan for example) they would have definitely started and who knows: Maybe would have gone to the NBA.

I just hope he realizes that just because he signs with a Duke or UNC, doesn't mean he's automatically a starter. They are good academic schools and he is obviously a fairly intelligent young man, but I just hope he realizes this.

Hopefully we're all happy at 3 tomorrow though!

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
If I was Hb and read this board, I would go somewhere other than ISU. You guys are out of control with the obsession.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
He would start at any school in the country.

This. People need to stop saying "he's just going to be another player at ___, but a legend at ISU". This kid is going to be good where ever he decides to play. He works hard as it is and is only going to improve, and hopefully that is with coach Mac.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
If I was Hb and read this board, I would go somewhere other than ISU. You guys are out of control with the obsession.

Yeah? Maybe you should check out other schools' boards too. Actually, Barnes was or maybe still is the #4 most searched on Bing. Duke and UNC fans are just as crazy

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
This. People need to stop saying "he's just going to be another player at ___, but a legend at ISU". This kid is going to be good where ever he decides to play. He works hard as it is and is only going to improve, and hopefully that is with coach Mac.

I never said he'd be a legend at ISU. I just said I hope he keeps working his *** off to ensure he'd do well at whatever school he goes to and not get into a trap of a certain psychological mindset.

The future isn't made up. We play games for a reason.

Cyismybird

Oct 17, 2009
Even though he may start, I think that there is going to be a lot more competition for playing time at Duke or UNC. Along with this comes a lot more high pressure environment to produce. Can't really have an off day there. I honestly think any of his final 6 choices will get him to the same point in the NBA. Also I don't put a lot of stock in past history of UNC or Duke. That really doesn't do anything for HB now. He would be just another cog in their machine.

If he came to ISU, he would be the face of a major D1 university. Pollard/Marketing would have a hay day with him. Every kid/adult would want an autograph. Billboards of him everywhere. Plenty of time on ESPN with the strength of the Big 12. And I still think he gets to the NBA.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Keep in mind that every highly ranked player is not an automatic success at a big school. Look back at Josh McRoberts....also ranked #2 in the nation....and he didn't blow the doors off of anyone at Duke right away.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
The kid has a 4.0 GPA

First of all, I know he's intelligent. I referenced it a few times before. However, I wouldn't get into the slippery slope of thinking someone who is very intelligent makes the best "decision" out of a list of choices 100 percent of the time.

The only thing I will say is, if he doesn't come to ISU, definitely not the end of the world even if it would be cool. No matter where he goes, I hope he kills in the league and hope he makes the best decisions available to him at the time.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Keep in mind that every highly ranked player is not an automatic success at a big school. Look back at Josh McRoberts....also ranked #2 in the nation....and he didn't blow the doors off of anyone at Duke right away.

Exactly. People think it's a done deal. You still have to do the work no matter where you go or else you'll be in for a big surprise, even if your skill and potential is ultimately higher than everyone else's.

gags12

Jul 15, 2008
Duke and North Carolina. Many are on the national spotlight every week. Here's the thing though: Almost everyone on Duke and North Carolina are great. You sign with them because you're great, but everyone else who signs with them is usually just as good as you (well not always, but usually). Harrison is an extremely good basketball player at this point in his life, but he should realize there's going to be guys he has to compete with on the same team that are just as good as him.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying that I have seen a lot of great players at Duke and UNC not get their shot to play much just purely because of the competition level even though they're very good players. If they would have gone to a "smaller" program (i.e. let's say a Michigan for example) they would have definitely started and who knows: Maybe would have gone to the NBA.

I just hope he realizes that just because he signs with a Duke or UNC, doesn't mean he's automatically a starter. They are good academic schools and he is obviously a fairly intelligent young man, but I just hope he realizes this.

Hopefully we're all happy at 3 tomorrow though!

What you described is often looked at by recruits as a very good thing. The opportunity to play with and compete against elite players every day in practice can help the development of a young prospect. If you're good enough, and Harrison Barnes clearly is, you'll stick out even with elite players around you like he would have at Duke or UNC.

Jason Williams was deciding between going to Rutgers or going to Duke and he was dead set on Rutgers. His mom asked him: "Which would you rather be: a king among paupers or a king among kings?" The rest in that case is obviously history.

And I'm not saying that ISU is Rutgers because it's clearly a step above at least, but a lot of elite kids like Harrison Barnes relish competition, they don't shy away from it. That's what makes them the best of the best.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
What you described is often looked at by recruits as a very good thing. The opportunity to play with and compete against elite players every day in practice can help the development of a young prospect. If you're good enough, and Harrison Barnes clearly is, you'll stick out even with elite players around you like he would have at Duke or UNC.

Jason Williams was deciding between going to Rutgers or going to Duke and he was dead set on Rutgers. His mom asked him: "Which would you rather be: a king among paupers or a king among kings?" The rest in that case is obviously history.

And I'm not saying that ISU is Rutgers because it's clearly a step above at least, but a lot of elite kids like Harrison Barnes relish competition, they don't shy away from it. That's what makes them the best of the best.

Oh yeah, definitely true. You have to have confidence above everything. Some of them think "I am going to the NBA" automatically, which I think ..well although the chances of that happening are much better than a lot of other schools through Duke/UNC, it's not always true.

He'll be big time no matter where he goes though.

Cyismybird

Oct 17, 2009

ISU has some pretty good competition. Although when the season starts, the competition becomes other teams you play too. The Big 12 has some pretty good competition to make him better. Still think he gets to the NBA with any of his choices.

gags12

Jul 15, 2008
ISU has some pretty good competition. Although when the season starts, the competition becomes other teams you play too. The Big 12 has some pretty good competition to make him better. Still think he gets to the NBA with any of his choices.

I wasn't saying that ISU doesn't have other quality players or that Harrison wouldn't develop quite well at ISU (I think he is going to be an awesome NBA player where ever he goes because of his talent and incredible work ethic), just refuting the idea that joining elite talent would be something that isn't appealing to a player like Barnes.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I wasn't saying that ISU doesn't have other quality players or that Harrison wouldn't develop quite well at ISU (I think he is going to be an awesome NBA player where ever he goes because of his talent and incredible work ethic), just refuting the idea that joining elite talent would be something that isn't appealing to a player like Barnes.

I wasn't aware I ever said it wouldn't be appealing to him. Something being appealing to you, and realizing you still have to work for your spot are two totally different things.

I got hired by a company very difficult to get hired into. That didn't mean I stopped trying as hard.

gags12

Jul 15, 2008
I wasn't aware I ever said it wouldn't be appealing to him. Something being appealing to you, and realizing you still have to work for your spot are two totally different things.

I got hired by a company very difficult to get hired into. That didn't mean I stopped trying as hard.

I apologize then because I must have mis-interpreted your original post in this thread. I thought your ultimate point was that ISU might be a better option than Duke or UNC because nothing at either of those two Universities is guaranteed to him.

I was just saying that sometimes the lack of a guarantee, whether it be a guarantee to be the star or even just a starter, can be appealing to recruits because they thrive on the type of competition and ultra-competitive environment they will find at those schools.

I think we can all agree that every school on his list offers positive things that are unique and ultimately his destination will be based on which positive things he values the most.