What will this season be like?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I've read through a bunch of wrestling threads, and I get a lot of positive vibes from those threads and posts concerning the upcoming wrestling season for ISU.

In all honesty, how do most of you knowledgable wrestling fans see this season playing out for the Clones?

If ISU has the lead going into the last day of both the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments, do the Clones keep it?

What kind of statement would you like the ISU team to make in the first ISU-Iowa dual meet?

What will ISU's record be in dual meets?

Which newcomer will make the biggest impact?

DOOBERDAN

Aug 26, 2009
Ames
As was the case for the last three years, I believe that if the guys wrestle to their abillities, they can win the National Championship. They should be able to whoop the Hawks with no problem! I am excited about our new coach, I liked Cael, but wasnt sure he was the right fit, didnt really see him getting our guys to be aggressive out there on the mat. I also really think that is the difference between the Hawks and Clones, Iowa wrestlers always seem to be more aggressive, not necessarily more skilled, but definatly more aggressive. Anyway, we have the potential to win, hopefully we can pull it off.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
The Iowa meet will tell us a lot about who we have. The fire and intensity should be very evident at that point.

I expect Big XII champs and top 2 finish in the country.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
After talking with Coach Jackson this past spring...I expect that our season will be filled with intensity from start to finish! That guy has some fire in him! I hope the team feeds off of his excitement!

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Looking forward to the season. Hopefully we are more aggressive than past years.

Z

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I was just looking at the schedule and we only have five home meets. (not counting the Harold Nichols open). I'd have to look it up to see exactly how many we used to have but the schedule sure has been cut back in recent years.

Edit: I guess I stand corrected. I have a 1985-86 media guide and we only had five home duals. Maybe I am thinking of the 70's but it seemed like at one time we had lots more than that. Or maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful.

Last edited:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
The Iowa meet will tell us a lot about who we have. The fire and intensity should be very evident at that point.

I expect Big XII champs and top 2 finish in the country.

**** that thinking, with the team you have coming back I would expect a national title. You were right there last year, a couple of more wins here and there and things could have been very different last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I dont know about whooping up on the Hawks. Both teams are very deep and and equal in a lot of matches. I like Jackson's intensity and his ability to get his team instilled with it will make or break him. I know call me Captain Obvious.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm still in shock that Cael left. Ending the season in the #1 spot would go a long way in helping me to forget that unfortunate episode.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I'm still in shock that Cael left. Ending the season in the #1 spot would go a long way in helping me to forget that unfortunate episode.
+1

Cael leaving was by far the most unexpected thing I could've thought up for ISU athletics.

As for expectations this year, I expect to be in the hunt for a national championship, as well as another Big 12 championship. This team CAN win a NC, but I am not sure if they will...

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
A lot of ifs still out there, Iowa IS the team to beat. Dual would be cool, tourney more important and we all know theres a big difference between the two.

125 - How good will Long be? Good to see that Tyler couldn't even make the finals of Iowa's wrestle offs, but unless Long was consistently out wrestling him at ISU that doesn't bode well for us. National Tourney we'll have to wait and see, right now it has to be a wash.
133 - Fanthorpe - I think he's better than Dennis, but hasn't wrestled that way. This is a wash for tourney points.
141 - Nick gets us extra tourney points, hopefully a repeat of his brothers senior year and a NC. Big advantage in tourney points over Iowa
149 - Important that Mitch scores as many points as possible in the tourney, Advantage Iowa in tourney points, Mueller goes out an all-american his senior year.
157 - ???? Don't see either team scoring many tourney points - Wash
165 - Reader again I think is better than Morningstar, but again it hasn't worked out that way. Wash for tourney points.
174 - Burk - Huge advantage Iowa in Tourney points.
184 - Ward - Huge advantage Iowa in Tourney points.
197 - Varner - Huge advantage ISU in Tourney points
HWT - Zabriskie - Wash for Tourney points.

I hope that Jacksons fire can in 1 year turn us into an agressive wrestling team and we have a wrestling championship that our wrestlers wrestle above their seeds, don't know the last time we consistently did that.

Remember last year the NC was close because a few of the Iowa wrestlers fell off the map (Falck, Tsirtis and Boershel)

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
A lot of ifs still out there, Iowa IS the team to beat. Dual would be cool, tourney more important and we all know theres a big difference between the two.

125 - How good will Long be? Good to see that Tyler couldn't even make the finals of Iowa's wrestle offs, but unless Long was consistently out wrestling him at ISU that doesn't bode well for us. National Tourney we'll have to wait and see, right now it has to be a wash.
133 - Fanthorpe - I think he's better than Dennis, but hasn't wrestled that way. This is a wash for tourney points.
141 - Nick gets us extra tourney points, hopefully a repeat of his brothers senior year and a NC. Big advantage in tourney points over Iowa
149 - Important that Mitch scores as many points as possible in the tourney, Advantage Iowa in tourney points, Mueller goes out an all-american his senior year.
157 - ???? Don't see either team scoring many tourney points - Wash
165 - Reader again I think is better than Morningstar, but again it hasn't worked out that way. Wash for tourney points.
174 - Burk - Huge advantage Iowa in Tourney points.
184 - Ward - Huge advantage Iowa in Tourney points.
197 - Varner - Huge advantage ISU in Tourney points
HWT - Zabriskie - Wash for Tourney points.

I hope that Jacksons fire can in 1 year turn us into an agressive wrestling team and we have a wrestling championship that our wrestlers wrestle above their seeds, don't know the last time we consistently did that.

Remember last year the NC was close because a few of the Iowa wrestlers fell off the map (Falck, Tsirtis and Boershel)

Clark has to redshirt this year and that is why he wasn't in the wrestle offs.

Also I would say Iowa has a huge advantage and not just an advantage in scoring points at 149. Metcalf will probably score in the 20's while Mueller scores around 8 to 12 if he is an AA, because Metcalf would score 16 just by being a national champ and that doesn't include advancement points or bonus points.

Otherwise I agree, even though I think Marion could surprise some people at 141.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Friday wrestle offs showed McDonough over Clark and Saturday showed McDonough over Krutsinger. I may be wrong but I thought in wrestling you only had to set out a year if the college you were transfering from contested it??

Any whoo, I'll take a wait and see. Big year for both schools with the amount of seniors on both teams. If Jackson is the coach that I think he is, we may finally have enough fire to wrestle above our seeds when it counts. Maybe Iowa will suck it up at the tourney again this year, last year should have been a blowout and ended up being close.

We'll know more after midlands :smile:

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
With 5 great wrestlers (Fanthorpe, Gallick, Reader, Varner, and Z) to go along with 5 that have a lot to prove, it will be interesting. We are definitely in contention for Big 12/NC titles, but we also could be 3rd in the Big 12 and 5th at Nationals. It's a good feeling knowing that we have a good overall team capable of being National Champions.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Friday wrestle offs showed McDonough over Clark and Saturday showed McDonough over Krutsinger. I may be wrong but I thought in wrestling you only had to set out a year if the college you were transfering from contested it??

Any whoo, I'll take a wait and see. Big year for both schools with the amount of seniors on both teams. If Jackson is the coach that I think he is, we may finally have enough fire to wrestle above our seeds when it counts. Maybe Iowa will suck it up at the tourney again this year, last year should have been a blowout and ended up being close.

We'll know more after midlands :smile:

Yes, Clark did wrestle but this is his first year after leaving ISU and he has to sit out this year, he never used his redshirt so he is using it this year so he doesn't lose that year of eligibility. Brands had him in there for the competition and nothing more since he isn't eligible to wrestle this year.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Clark has to redshirt this year and that is why he wasn't in the wrestle offs.

Also I would say Iowa has a huge advantage and not just an advantage in scoring points at 149. Metcalf will probably score in the 20's while Mueller scores around 8 to 12 if he is an AA, because Metcalf would score 16 just by being a national champ and that doesn't include advancement points or bonus points.

Otherwise I agree, even though I think Marion could surprise some people at 141.
Clark did participate in the wrestle offs and lost badly.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I want a national championship as bad as anyone, have been a season ticket holder for a long time. We should compete for it, and I'm optimistic that Jackson can help us turn our ways into a more offensive team.

Not sure he can turn our Douglass / Sanserson legacy of defensive position into offense in one year. Iowa will have to wrestle the tourney below expectations and we'll have to wrestle above. I can tell you that I've followed wrestling for a long time and last year was one of the few that Iowa wrestled below, the bad part is we gave away a NC because we didn't wrestle at or above.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron