OU vs Nebraska

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Anybody catch the game last night? Suh looked incredible again last night. I'm still amazed we kept him under relative control when we played them.

Kind of a yawner game other then that. Two good defenses with medicore offenses.

Nebraska can still win the north if they beat K-State I think.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
After watching that game last night I wished we could play OK this season - I have a feeling Landry Jones career as a Sooner will be done at the end of the season.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
After watching that game last night I wished we could play OK this season - I have a feeling Landry Jones career as a Sooner will be done at the end of the season.

Well we have them next 2 year and I do think they graduate quite a few players. I wonder if Bradford will stick around?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

How many points would we score against them? I don't want to play them.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Looking at NU/OU stats at the end of the game it would make you think of a game played on that same field a few weeks ago...

*Both NU and ISU were outgained by at least 125 yards.
*Both forced at least 5 turnovers and had a turnover margin of at least +4.
*Both OU (vs NU) and NU (vs ISU) had plenty of opportunities to score but couldnt get it done.

Myself living in Lincoln i have heard MANY people say that one game was a complete fluke and the other one is a defensive masterpiece. :confused:

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Looking at NU/OU stats at the end of the game it would make you think of a game played on that same field a few weeks ago...

*Both NU and ISU were outgained by at least 125 yards.
*Both forced at least 5 turnovers and had a turnover margin of at least +4.
*Both OU (vs NU) and NU (vs ISU) had plenty of opportunities to score but couldnt get it done.

Myself living in Lincoln i have heard MANY people say that one game was a complete fluke and the other one is a defensive masterpiece. :confused:

You forget -- one was versus a Top 25 team, the other was versus "that one team" that resides a few hundred miles east of Lincoln.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Anybody catch the game last night? Suh looked incredible again last night. I'm still amazed we kept him under relative control when we played them.

Kind of a yawner game other then that. Two good defenses with medicore offenses.

Nebraska can still win the north if they beat K-State I think.

OU was is so banged up on the OL that they were down to a TE and backup tackle trying to play at guard. It's not a surprise that Suh looked especially dominant.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
I'm not sure what I take out of that game last night.

One thing we know for sure is that Nebraska's offense is pathetic, at best. Their touchdown came after an interception was returned to the one yard line. Their field goal came after another interception. This very easily could have been a 3-0 win for Oklahoma. Shawn Watson has to rank as one of the worst offensive coordinators in college football.

Nebraska's defense looked outstanding. Yes, Suh played another incredible game, but a number of other Huskers came up big, too. O'Hanlon, who was criticized by a lot of Nebraska fans after he let the Virginia Tech receiver get behind him in the final minute of the game in Blacksburg, had three picks and a career best 14 tackles (as I recall). Jerod Crick, who plays alongside of Suh also played very well, as did Phillip Dillard. Overall, it appeared to be a very solid defensive performance, especially when you look at Oklahoma's starting field position throughout the game (they spent most of the first half in Nebraska territory after Nebraska's penalties and inept offense kept them backed up near their own goal line).

The thing I can't figure out is that Oklahoma offense. They had no trouble at all moving the football against K-State last Saturday, and especially in the fourth quarter, Landry Jones played lights out. Last night, he played like his lights were out. Oklahoma showed some glimmers of an offense, especially in the third quarter, but Nebraska's defense always seemed to be able to come up with a big play at the right time.

As a nebraska fan, I will say this. Realistically, the Huskers could win out and finish the regular season at 9-3. But I don't think it is too far-fetched to say they also could lose out and end at 6-6. Their defense will keep them in every game they play, but you can smell that offensive stink halfway across the country.

huskerman

Mar 12, 2008
ames
i really do not think that watson is that bad of an OC wingback.

in reality we have waaaayyyy too much youth on the O and if any coach needs to go it is barney cotton. that Oline is what is killing us and it is quite obvious.

watson has had good offenses the last four years, one year does not make him one of the worst OC in the country....

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

in reality we have waaaayyyy too much youth on the O and if any coach needs to go it is barney cotton. that Oline is what is killing us and it is quite obvious.

watson has had good offenses the last four years, one year does not make him one of the worst OC in the country....

We know all about that...:smile:

I never quite figured out why Barney couldn't do more here in Ames and Nebraska. Seems like a hard worker and motivator.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008

Totally disagree with you, huskerman. I have never been a Shawn Watson fan and have never liked his offenses. Yes, they put up impressive numbers over the last few years, but especially in 2007, a lot of those numbers were put up when games were over. Nebraska found themselves behind by 30 and 40 points during the latter part of the Callahan and Nebraska threw the ball on every down, many times playing against second and third team players.

And even when they were scoring points, they were very, very inconsistent. They could go three-and-out on series after series and then "light it up" for a while.

I also would withhold my judgement on Barney Cotton. Barney likes to coach offensive lines that "run downhill." Watson has no idea what he wants his offense to look like, which would have to make it very difficult on an offensive line coach. Is Nebraska going to be a running team first, or a throwing team first? How would any line coach no what he is to teach. Watson doesn't even know what he wants to be when he grows up. If He would ditch this ridiculous "West Spread" (or whatever the sam-hill he wants to call this abomination), insert a fullback and run out of the I-formation, I might be willing to give him a chance. But his half-million play playbook with four and five progressions on every passing play has to go.

As a Nebraska fan, my only hope is that some NAIA team comes calling and Watson takes the call.

Last edited:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Wingback & Huskerman, remember that no one here really cares to see us break down the Husker offensive woes, an ISU message board isn't the place to do it. As great as last night was, all ISU fan has to do is yell "score board".

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
And well, they should, Garn. Iowa State clearly was the better team on the Saturday they played Nebraska and the deserved to win. They prepared well, Paul Rhoades had a very smart and well thought-out game plan and played inspired football. I applaud them and wish the Cyclones nothing but success throughout the remainder of the season.

We are on the Big XII page of the message board however, and I thought as long as we discussed a Big XII team, which Nebraska is, we were okay discussing them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron