Hypothetical Situation

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I want to discuss a hypothetical situation due to a recent write-up by Jason Whitlock of the KC Star.

Jayhawks likely will win mediocre Big 12 North - Kansas City Star

Let's say Iowa State were to win the B12 North by actually running the table and finishing with a 9-3 record on the year. This would undoubtedly pit our beloved Cyclones against a National Championship contender, Texas. Do we decline the right to play in the B12 championship game in fear of the stomping the Longhorns may put on us? or Do we play in that game with all the confidence in the world in hopes of knocking off the almighty prowess of Texas?

EDIT* I forgot to mention, that I think it's an absolutely ridiculous thought to decline the invitation to play in the B12 championship game, so please refrain from railing on me thinking that I would actually decline that invite.

Last edited:

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Is this a serious question? Declining to play is not even an option.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Pretty sure that was said tongue-in-cheek, facetiously.

I sure hope he was being facetious.

While I don't agree with declining the invite, I do agree with the point I think he was trying to make in that the North still isn't at the level of the South. There's no argument there.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
The North hasn't won the Big 12 championship game since 2003 (Kansas State) and most of those games haven't been close. But if we make it, we still go. Even if we get smoked by Texas, our bowl position ought to be pretty good.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I know this is Whitlock and not yourself, but I can't think of a time where someone saves face by running away scared.

Very good point, brings up another question.

Which is more embarrassing?

Declining the invite to that game....or......getting stomped by Texas.

You may very well be the laughing stock of the nation if you run away from that game.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If ISU wins the rest of the games, it will deserve to be in the championship, and they will have improve enough during the season to represent the North well. There is a lot of things that need to go right before any of this can happen.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
EDIT* I forgot to mention, that I think it's an absolutely ridiculous thought to decline the invitation to play in the B12 championship game, so please refrain from railing on me thinking that I would actually decline that invite.

In that case, you are forgiven :)

I think the better question is should the Big 12 re-align to non geographic divisions like the ACC? Obviously, ISU shouldn't push for this and the current layout benefits them. I know people will say these things are cyclical and will even out eventually. I think the current North will close the gap eventually, but will play 2nd fiddle to the south in most years.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
Iowa State would lose a lot of fans if we were to do that. Our goal for years has been to represent the North in the B12 title game. Why would you give that up because you have to play Texas? If you win, you go to a BCS game, if you lose you go to a decent bowl game. This isn't even a real question, it's a Jayhawk fan that can't look himself in the mirror right now because his team is underachieving and he is too proud to give praise to a team that deserves it.

Iowa State lost to an Iowa team that is one of the best in the nation; barely lost to a Kansas State team that is leading the North; and almost beat a good Kansas team that should be competing for the North.

If Iowa State wins the North it is because we earned it and if Kansas State wins the North it is because they earned it. Give credit where credit is due. This is 2009, our records in 2008 are irrelevant. We won't know if we can beat Texas until we play them (if Texas is the South champ).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Mark this down. If we make it to the Big 12 Championship game, it will be a game. DO you think for a minute PR would decline a game because we should lose? That's something the old coach may do, but not this guy.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
To run the table and finish 9-3 we would have to beat OSU (arguably the second best team in the south) and will have defeated all of the south opponents we have played. I think if we win the North we will have completely deserved it more than any other team in the North.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron