O'Connell fumble recovery near goal line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
It looks like to me, if they refs wouldn't have blown the play dead when Helu fumbled near the goal line that O'Connell would have taken it 100 yards for a touchdown. There was nobody in front of him.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
No way was the runner down...

I am just happy they were man enough to overrule their original call and I'll take the touchback in that situation.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
No kidding, they replayed in slow mo 1000 times. It was clear that it was our ball.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ya, definately a fumble, a shame we didn't get the return but at that point I was just happy with the fumble. A couple years ago that wouldn't have been reviewable. That was a very tough call to make on the field, I couldn't blame them for calling him down.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
They discussed on the radio a bit too, don't even debate whether it was a fumble, of course it was. But I think he could have gone a long way if not 100 for a TD if the whistle hadn't blown. That being said the refs called a great game and the booth got EVERY review right, although the Jake Williams TD review was kind of a head scratcher.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'll take the ball and a touchback any day, and I was just happy that the whistle hadn't blown prior to that.

As far as the Jake Williams touchdown, you can see the ball loose as he was going down, but he got his arm under it and secured it as he hit the ground.