Where were the mismatches?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I was surprised, that besides DL, NU was not really anything but marginally better at any position than ISU, including the coaching staffs. If healthy and on a neutral field, I think ISU beats NU 50% of the time. NU is not very good (great Dline though).
However, with RS freshmen at QB and RB, it helped to force 8 (or 7) TO's, and have players skilled enough not to turn it over.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I was surprised, that besides DL, NU was not really anything but marginally better at any position than ISU, including the coaching staffs. If healthy and on a neutral field, I think ISU beats NU 50% of the time. NU is not very good (great Dline though).
However, with RS freshmen at QB and RB, it helped to force 8 (or 7) TO's, and have players skilled enough not to turn it over.

Their coach is by far a 'grosser' gum chewer.

Reactions: Cyfan322

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Dude the to margin was 8-0 and we won by 2

Our offense was bad

You say that as an indictment against ISU. NU is so bad they turn it over 8 times. Our offense was not good, but that is a combo of NU's strong DLine and ISU playing a RS freshmen QB and RB, both back-ups....and yet we have no TO's.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Tom Herman and the boys did a decent job, the D played great and expect them to keep it up. Herman's hands were kinda cuffed with no arnaud, no arob and a freshman starting his first collegiate game on the road in Lincoln and with Schwartz who I like and can really run down hill but is not busting huge runs left and right. If Herman goes out there and has JT throw the more dangerous throws we could possibly have a 35-9 ballgame and we're all singing a different tune. With what we had on the field AT this time we did well. Bigger than the 8 turnovers for Nebraska the 0 by us on the road was more important. I feel we turn it over twice or maybe even once we lose this game. We did what we had to do and good teams win the road games like what we just did.

TyForCy

Sep 6, 2009
Tom Herman and the boys did a decent job, the D played great and expect them to keep it up. Herman's hands were kinda cuffed with no arnaud, no arob and a freshman starting his first collegiate game on the road in Lincoln and with Schwartz who I like and can really run down hill but is not busting huge runs left and right. If Herman goes out there and has JT throw the more dangerous throws we could possibly have a 35-9 ballgame and we're all singing a different tune. With what we had on the field AT this time we did well. Bigger than the 8 turnovers for Nebraska the 0 by us on the road was more important. I feel we turn it over twice or maybe even once we lose this game. We did what we had to do and good teams win the road games like what we just did.

And we needed every single one of those turnovers to win. it doesnt matter how "bad" our offense played, our defense had all the big plays. now lets turn 'em loose on TA&M. Go CYCLONES!!

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Dude the to margin was 8-0 and we won by 2

Our offense was bad

I would quibble with that. Our offense was LIMITED, not bad. Our offensive line was terrific. Tiller played within himself and Schwartz protected the ball. They tried to take only enough risks to eke out a win, and it worked. Had NU scored again, you would have no doubt seen a little more risk taking on offense until we regained the lead.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think this is pretty simple...we kept our offensive gameplan simple because we had a lead. If Nebraska would have scored a touchdown and we would have gone down by 5, I think you would have seen them open up the playbook for Tiller a little more. With a lead, and a young quarterback who very easily could have made a mistake, there was no sense in doing anything but running the ball up the gut until the proved they could score.

If they would have scored, I think you would have seen them throw the ball more. Because they did not score after the first touchdown, there was really no need to.

Help Support Us

Become a patron