Fan Support Unchecked at ISU Wrestling Kickoff Dinner

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
AMES, Iowa – More than 300 Iowa State wrestling supporters came out to see the new Cyclone coaching staff and wrestling team Thursday night at the Cyclone Wrestling Club’s fourth-annual Preseason Kickoff Dinner at the 7-Flags Event Center in Clive, Iowa. The dinner and auction were made possible through the generosity of all-time Cyclone wrestling great Frank Santana and the backing of the CWC.
Head coach Kevin Jackson and assistant coaches Chris Bono and Yero Washington and ISU wrestling team were on hand to greet fans and help fuel the excitement that is building for the 2009-10 season.
Jackson saw the night as the opening spark needed outstanding wrestling season.
“This season is going to be special,â€￾ Jackson said. “It is going to happen with hard work and smart work. Our guys are giving their all right now for one goal. We are going to get after it and have fun. We’re here for one reason and one reason only. That is to win the national championship.â€￾

more

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
our new coach with his current wrestling squad should bring us home a national championship-that will help his recruiting immensely. we have a new sheriff in town!!! ole sanderson will wish he would have stayed in ames instead of going to penn state.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Anyone see the new Wrestling posters. They show the seniors and all the great wrestlers of the past. They left one person off the poster, guess who.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
our new coach with his current wrestling squad should bring us home a national championship-that will help his recruiting immensely. we have a new sheriff in town!!! ole sanderson will wish he would have stayed in ames instead of going to penn state.

Yur rite woodie forget olde sanderson he's OLD NEWS!!!!!!

Go Cyclones wrestle'em into the mat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Anyone see the new Wrestling posters. They show the seniors and all the great wrestlers of the past. They left one person off the poster, guess who.

Wow, I saw a low-res version of the poster, but it got past me that they left Sanderson out of it.

I can see why, but at the same time he IS the best collegiate wrestler of all time. Seems silly to have a poster bragging about "tradition" and not including the only undefeated, 4-time national champ, regardless of what happened with his coaching career.

Is Gable in the poster?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Wow, I saw a low-res version of the poster, but it got past me that they left Sanderson out of it.

I can see why, but at the same time he IS the best collegiate wrestler of all time. Seems silly to have a poster bragging about "tradition" and not including the only undefeated, 4-time national champ, regardless of what happened with his coaching career.

Is Gable in the poster?

I'd have to agree. I haven't seen it (could someone post a pic or link?), but if true that seems really shallow for Iowa State.

If you want to go with that theme - put Cael in there. Maybe they could have avoided that theme altogether for a couple years.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Don't like the idea of leaving him off the poster. He has done just as much for the image of the University as any other athlete we have ever had, maybe more. He went where the money and a novel challenge is, doesn't affect the great years he gave to the school while a student-athlete.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I was at the tailgate tour stop in Cedar Rapids last spring...and I came away very excited after speaking with Coach Jackson! One thought I had after visiting with him and listening to him address those in attendance...Coach Jackson won't back down from any challenge! None! He specifically mentioned the challenge that is located just to the east of Iowa State! He was great!

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'd have to agree. I haven't seen it (could someone post a pic or link?), but if true that seems really shallow for Iowa State.

If you want to go with that theme - put Cael in there. Maybe they could have avoided that theme altogether for a couple years.

kinda like the Yankees not having any pics of Joe Torre around new Yankee Stadium. I haven't seen it either, but how can you not have the greatest collegiate wrestler of all-time not in there.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I have to agree with the decision, leave him off. Transitions like this need to be clean in the short run. In no way shoul Cael be associated with ISU wrestling for the next few years. Eventually they will work him back in, but for now this has to be about the people taking this program forward.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I have to agree with the decision, leave him off. Transitions like this need to be clean in the short run. In no way shoul Cael be associated with ISU wrestling for the next few years. Eventually they will work him back in, but for now this has to be about the people taking this program forward.

its petty, ISU needs to act like the grown up. seperate Cael "ISUs best wrester" from the Cael "who just broke up with us"

the only reason I can possibly see is if Cael somehow has rights to his likeness and would not allow it.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
its petty, ISU needs to act like the grown up. seperate Cael "ISUs best wrester" from the Cael "who just broke up with us"

the only reason I can possibly see is if Cael somehow has rights to his likeness and would not allow it.

It's not petty in any way, shape, or form. It's a basic organizational behavior issue. When you have a change in leadership you make it a clean cut. It's best for the organization. You can't have thoughts/images/other residual of the former leader hanging around. The only people making it personal are the ones upset about it.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
It's not petty in any way, shape, or form. It's a basic organizational behavior issue. When you have a change in leadership you make it a clean cut. It's best for the organization. You can't have thoughts/images/other residual of the former leader hanging around. The only people making it personal are the ones upset about it.

then why put former greats on a wrestling schedule poster?

better to leave it off the table altogether, go with a pic of the new coach and his boys - a lot like football did.

It would be like if the football poster came out Chiz's first year and had all the "ISU coaching greats" and left Mac off ... its just stupid to even put it out there in the first place

has anyone got a link to this poster yet? I may be way off.