Ron Maly disses 2010 MBB

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Who peed in his Cheerios? I'm fine with people doubting us, but this goes a bit far. Does he not know how we are poised to be much improved?

The way I look at it, anyone who mentions Iowa State's men's basketball team and the 2010 NCAA tournament in the same breath has been spending far too much time in the tailgate area before the Cyclones' football games, slurping far too many bloody marys in the third tent. The Cyclones and their fans had better be realistic and concentrate on having a record over .500 before talking about the Big Dance. They'd better learn to beat Drake first. Greg McDermott hasn't even done that yet as Iowa State's coach. The Cyclones have lost their last three games to Drake. And McDermott hasn't yet had a winning season in Ames--going 15-16, 14-18 and 15-17. At some places, those are records that bring the wolf to the door. You know what? I don't think the wolf is that far away. Big Dance? Dream on, Cyclones. First, you'd better worry about winning at the Knapp Center in Des Moines and Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence.

ronald wesley maly

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Who is this guy? He should be important before I care.

Edit: I just clicked the link. Why does a Brittish man from Cedar Rapids care about ISU?

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Save your self the time....

Try and find something he says GOOD about ISU.

(waits)

Now you know his modus operandi when it comes to ISU.

heck - the rant today is that JP changes the start time of OUR game so he could watch Wisconsin/Iowa. Maly is worthless. He lives in his own little black and gold universe.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
He kind of echos my concerns as well. While I think ISU will be much better than last year, I think some ISU fans are completely over hyping this season/expectations. The Big 12 is going to be vastly improved, as will the Cyclones, but I feel some are over hyping based of the addition of Gilstrap and Colvin, as well as the development of last years players over the off season, none of which has been proven on the court yet.

Reactions: fcmc

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Does he have a point? Yes.

Do I care? No.

Honestly, I should - but I'm buying the hype on this team...fully aware it may come back to bite me.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Like I said, I'm fine with doubters, but this seemed over the top. It makes him look uneducated about the team, as it's almost universally agreed (even by non-Clones) that we'll be improved.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
He used to be a sports reporter, IIRC.

Edit: For the DM Register...39 years.

Wow. He's so good, I've never even heard of him. Funny how he tries to dismiss us, though. In all seriousness, the guy needs to find a tooth brush.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
FWIW, a long while back I had stumbled upon some of his old articles/blogs. Was interesting to read some of his predictions after things had played out.

IIRC, the guy has been pretty accurate.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
He's got a point about worrying about beating teams like Drake first... but then saying that we should be worrying about beating KU in Lawrence before talking about the NCAA Tourney?? Umm... if we do that, I think we'll be talking about more than just getting into the Dance... :yes:

My point is, I'm not going to relate beating KU to getting into the NCAA's. KU is going to be extremely tough this year.

Reactions: ianoconnor

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
He's got a point about worrying about beating teams like Drake first... but then saying that we should be worrying about beating KU in Lawrence before talking about the NCAA Tourney?? Umm... if we do that, I think we'll be talking about more than just getting into the Dance... :yes:

I thought that was odd, too. Doesn't every team in the Big 12 have to worry about winning in Lawrence?

I agree that he has some points, and that we haven't done anything yet, but I just thought some obvious bias was thrown into that paragraph.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
They change the rules at Lawrence. How the hell are we supposed to win there?

Someone related to Mac must have kissed Ron's wife.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I wish this off-season would have been quiet, kind of like before the 99-00 season(I hope Gilstrap makes contributions close to what Tinsley did his first year with all the hype going around)...but that's what msg boards are for. I think a lot of people are going to be giving their hopes up with these high expectations. I can see a bit of a struggle early on b/c I think this team will try to force a lot of things, but they should settle in by conference play.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I resent that statement, not because he dissed the basketball team, but because I tailgate in the 3rd tent every week and know one of the guys that helps put that on and furthermore, he makes one helluva Bloody Mary.

Reactions: ianoconnor