John Gruden

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I really like him doing commentary on Monday Night football, but wonder how long before he's a head coach again. He's a lot of fun to listen to and his side line face shots can be really amusing.

He did some great things for the Raiders. Not so much at Tampa, but I still think he's a good coach.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I know he has always been thought of as a perfect Notre Dame coach...but I am just not sure kids would like playing for him...unless he won and won big! He does exhibit a lot of enthusiasm...but can be very critical as well.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
:biglaugh:

FWIW, he can come to Dallas. :)

I actually agree with him. I think he was better with the Raiders. He won a Superbowl with Tony Dungy's players and then stunk it up after Dungy's players left/got old.

At the same time, that Raiders team he left also played in the same Superbowl and has been the laughing stock of the league since then.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I actually agree with him. I think he was better with the Raiders. He won a Superbowl with Tony Dungy's players and then stunk it up after Dungy's players left/got old.

At the same time, that Raiders team he left also played in the same Superbowl and has been the laughing stock of the league since then.

Did Tony win a Super Bowl with those players? No. Gruden did.

Gruden built that Raider team and then the let Callahan/Davis ruin the damn thing. I mean c'mon, you're gonna pin any of the Raider collapse on Gruden? Ha!

Gruden has made mistakes, but that was not one of them.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Did Tony win a Super Bowl with those players? No. Gruden did.

Gruden built that Raider team and then the let Callahan/Davis ruin the damn thing. I mean c'mon, you're gonna pin any of the Raider collapse on Gruden? Ha!

Gruden has made mistakes, but that was not one of them.

I think you misunderstood me on the Oakland thing.

I was giving him credit for building Oakland (which is why I think he did a better job at Oakland than Tampa)

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
He'll get another opportunity somewhere.

Regarding the situation in Buffalo, I don't think it would be smart of them to fire their coach now. None of the high profile coaches who could be interested in taking over a team mid-season, IMO.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
He'll be the new Notre Dame coach at the end of the year. The Irish will even be 9-3 or 8-4 at that point...which in ND terms....."you're fired".....Weis will be gone.

This could very well happen. That is, if Wies doesn't beat USC....then it is a whole new ballgame for him.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames

To me ,he built the Raiders into a legitimate team, and did what Dungy couldn't in winning a Super Bowl. I don't know how much he had to do with drafting and signings in Tampa, but they were still very competitive with him leading them to the playoffs several years when they had a severe lack of talent, which is showing now that he is gone. Not saying hes the best coach in the world, but a very solid NFL coach who I think would be a great fit with the Cowboys even thought I'm not a Cowboys fan.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
What's up with the Notre Dame connection? Did Gruden go to school there?

Gruden does have a connection to Notre Dame. His Dad was an assistant coach under Dan Devine and he did grow up in South Bend at that time. So there is the little 'ol connection to the Domers.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the University of Louisville has serious interest in former Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden.

The Cardinals have bottomed out under Steve Kragthorpe, who replaced Bobby Petrino prior to Petrino's brief Falcons stint. Lombardi notes that Louisville asked Kragthorpe to accept a buy-out last year, but he refused. Gruden will have plenty of opportunities in the NFL next offseason. He seems unlikely to enter the college ranks at any school other than Notre Dame.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron