Wild Volleyball fans

sandee

Aug 30, 2006
The conference is looking into OU volleyball fans and officials are sidelined following "hexing" of Nebraska servers in Norman last week. Some people take their VB very seriously. OU and ISU are vying for third in the conference. This is a possible, but, very difficult win this week. Possibly OU will reign in the fans or they won't be quite so excited about the Cyclones.

HuskerExtra.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - Volleyball

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Gee worst we ever did was sing our Fight Song behind Nebraska's bench during their time out :rolleyes:

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I still don't understand what happened in Norman- they had the NU server "surrounded"? Were they on the court, or not? If not, then how the hell is it different from any other conference match? Hell, I yell piercingly insulting (yet tasteful!) things at visiting players while they serve, but I do it from the front row of seating, not from 2 feet away. And what is this "hexing" thing? What scary hand motions could possibly be made that would have a seasoned conference officiator and a collegiate player complaining/scared? Sheesh. This sounds like another round of, "Everybody's acting like a moron".

Reactions: Haverhill

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I really hope the lower bowl of Hilton is full against Nebby this year.

There will be people in the balcony for this one, possibly challenging the state of Iowa record for VB.

*Nebraska fans who can't normally get in to NU home matches will flock to Ames.
*Both teams should be in the top 12 and vying for the #2 spot in the Big 12.
*It's a home football Saturday, so if the word gets out in the tailgate lots, they may be able to draw from the football crowd (who might need to take 2 hours away from the booze by that point, depending on kickoff time).

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Oh if nebraska is going to complain about heckling and loudness, then they won't appreciate coming to ames this year, as well as texas. My buddies and I have some words to exchange with the players and coaches of each school. Nebraska fans were ****** to us at lincoln.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
I'm all about the hexing, but I think our Cyclone Hexing powers are strong - even from our seats so there is no need to do the traditional hand holding circle around the opposing server.

I look forward to making it to the meet - unless we have a barn raising that day.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I love the ISU Nebby matchup...i won vegas tickets last time...perfect timing for the football game the following season.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
It is curious that the officials of the game were removed from the Big 12 list. Cook has been around a long time and is well respected. These factors make me believe there was something a little out of the ordinary going on.

jsheajr

Jul 20, 2009
Kansas City, MO
My wife and I watched the OU-Nebraska match last week and the behavior of some of the OU student-athletes and students was certainly over-the-top. The Nebraska servers barely had enough room to move their arms to make the serve. My wife and I both thought it was unsportsmanlike and commented about it while watching the match. Good to see the big 12 look into it.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
My wife and I watched the OU-Nebraska match last week and the behavior of some of the OU student-athletes and students was certainly over-the-top. The Nebraska servers barely had enough room to move their arms to make the serve. My wife and I both thought it was unsportsmanlike and commented about it while watching the match. Good to see the big 12 look into it.

Where the heck was the NU coach?? He/she should have been all over the officials.

jsheajr

Jul 20, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Where the heck was the NU coach?? He/she should have been all over the officials.
Good point. I realize that you can't see everything that's going on when watching an event on television so, maybe he was getting on the officials but they didn't show anything of that nature. The commentators on ESPNU didn't seem bothered by it either. They pointed out that some of the hecklers were OU Women's Basketball players and that was about it.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

did you read the article?

Cook, the coach, was in danger of violating B12 rules for his comments on the officials being removed from the Big 12. I would say he probably did about all he could do, and reporting unsportsmanlike conduct and making waves in the Big 12 headquarters on another school should is not something any coach "wants" to do.

What is most saddening is that this conduct was done by other OU athletes, who should be reprimanded in some way for their behavior.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

It was in the fourth set, I think, when several OU hoops players, sitting in the front row of the bleachers on the baseline, began standing right behind a Nebraska player who was serving in the match. The cameras showed them taunting, dancing, screaming and doing whatever they could to throw off the Husker -- Tara Mueller in particular -- trying to serve.

Uhh... what's the problem? Did the OU fans come onto the court? Doesn't sound like it. If you get that close to the opposing fans, you should expect a bit of taunting. Maybe the NU players should just suck it up and move on.

When I played basketball in high school, many small schools had bleachers practically touching the sidelines. If you were inbounding the ball near the student section, you expected to get tripped, grabbed, whatever after throwing the ball in. I don't remember crying about it though.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Uhh... what's the problem? Did the OU fans come onto the court? Doesn't sound like it. If you get that close to the opposing fans, you should expect a bit of taunting. Maybe the NU players should just suck it up and move on.

When I played basketball in high school, many small schools had bleachers practically touching the sidelines. If you were inbounding the ball near the student section, you expected to get tripped, grabbed, whatever after throwing the ball in. I don't remember crying about it though.

I watched the match in its entirety. The yound ladies from OU's basketball team were indeed on the floor, and they stood literally inches from the person serving screaming into their ears. It is wrong, but what is amazing, is that it is Nebraska crying foul. My daughter played in that arena twice during her career, and you couldn't have more obnoxious fans if you wanted. I think it is awesome that they are being beaten on a regular basis.

Good luck Christy and your Cylones the balance of the year. For those of you that don't follow volleyball anymore than as a novice, let me tell you for a fact that this team has the potential to play in the Final Four. They are one of the best coached teams in America.