Why Do The Vikings Uniforms Look Blue?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I have a HD 1080i TV with HD digital box. I would think by now every team with a Purple uniform outta look Purple - except last night.

Is that because;
a) the ESPN cameras are cheap and cannot differentiate bt blue and purple? or

b) the lighting in the Metrodome does not reflect as purple? Or

c) does my TV just suck?

Sometimes I can see the purple unis and it seems to be when the team plays in natural sunlight as opposed to under the lights.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Probably because the "old school" Vikings jerseys are "bluer" than you remember:

Brett Favre from last night

c70863df-2575-4bef-8d00-df1a0a16422b.jpg

Randy Moss from when he was with the Vikings

1moss0305w.l.jpg

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Probably because the "old school" Vikings jerseys are "bluer" than you remember:

Brett Favre from last night

c70863df-2575-4bef-8d00-df1a0a16422b.jpg

Ah.....thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I saw on my TV.

But there does seem to be a problem with purple vs blue; for example the Lakers, same thing, it looks more blue on my TV.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You probably need to have your TV calibrated. Out of the box,most TVs and monitors have HORRIBLE calibration. They are generally way too bright and have the saturation way too high.

Purple is a tough color anyway since it technically doesn't exist.

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
You probably need to have your TV calibrated. Out of the box,most TVs and monitors have HORRIBLE calibration. They are generally way too bright and have the saturation way too high.

What!?? :confused:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about calibration; the Geek Squad wants $300. I read you can try to do it on your own, with a special DVD and some 'calibrating glasses', but I'm not sure I can trust myself.

Have you had your HDTV calibrated? What do you recommend?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about calibration; the Geek Squad wants $300. I read you can try to do it on your own, with a special DVD and some 'calibrating glasses', but I'm not sure I can trust myself.

Have you had your HDTV calibrated? What do you recommend?

Most DVDs you've got that has the THX logo on the spine come with a calibration program. I always use my copy of The Incredibles to do this, they always play clips from the movie after you're finished and I tend to like using the Pixar-like stuff because you get tons of colors thrown at you.

Otherwise you can buy calibration DVDs that will take you through a more in-depth sequence, but I've been happy with how mine is setup.

Edit: 37" Sharp Aquos LCD for your reference.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Most DVDs you've got that has the THX logo on the spine come with a calibration program. I always use my copy of The Incredibles to do this, they always play clips from the movie after you're finished and I tend to like using the Pixar-like stuff because you get tons of colors thrown at you.

Otherwise you can buy calibration DVDs that will take you through a more in-depth sequence, but I've been happy with how mine is setup.

Edit: 37" Sharp Aquos LCD for your reference.

Yes - I heard certain movie DVD's have the THX calibration procedures. Otherwise, you can buy a THX DVD. Is that easy to do?

Sony Bravia 52" 1080i

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Their uniforms, no matter how good of a TV I've watched them on, have always been more blue on TV than they are in person. I don't know if it's the lighting or just the way the cameras pick up the light and transmit the information. Either way, I'm always taken back a bit when I see them play in person and how "Purple" their uniforms actually are.

The old school aren't as purple as the new ones, but they definitely are more purple than what comes across on TV, no matter how well calibrated it is.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yes - I heard certain movie DVD's have the THX calibration procedures. Otherwise, you can buy a THX DVD. Is that easy to do?

Sony Bravia 52" 1080i

Nope really simple, you just go through a few screens that they have different test patterns setup and have you adjust different settings (Brightness/Contrast/Color Temp etc) until the picture looks like what they describe.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)

Real_Color_Wheel_475.jpg

Yeah I'm not seeing any purple here . . . :jimlad:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Their uniforms, no matter how good of a TV I've watched them on, have always been more blue on TV than they are in person. I don't know if it's the lighting or just the way the cameras pick up the light and transmit the information. Either way, I'm always taken back a bit when I see them play in person and how "Purple" their uniforms actually are.

The old school aren't as purple as the new ones, but they definitely are more purple than what comes across on TV, no matter how well calibrated it is.

Exactly - it really is a huge diff. especially in natural daylight. Same with the Lakers .

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
cfl bulbs in the metrodome

I'm not sure if you're serious, but what about attending a game at the Metrodome? Can't you detect the true colors in person? If so, then it must be the inability of the cheap ESPN camerasty to detect and transmit specific colors.