MLB: Gardenhire should be manager of the year

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm a bit biased given I'm a Twins fan, but can someone name me a more deserving manager of this award? The guy year in and year out wins with very little bankroll. This year especially with losing Morneau, Neshek, Slowy, and Perkins.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Jim Tracy! The Rockies were left for dead on June 4th (12 games under .500). Since that time only the Yankees have played better.

SSSSState

Oct 29, 2007
He is certainly deserving of the AL award for sure. If they didn't do separate awards however Jim Tracy would win.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Jim Tracy! The Rockies were left for dead on June 4th (12 games under .500). Since that time only the Yankees have played better.

It's not a choice between Tracy and Gardy - the NL and AL each have their own MoYs.

And I might sound biased as well, but I agree with Gardy being AL MoY as well, and there could be a case for him getting it just about every year. There is not another manager in baseball that gets more out of his payroll on a yearly basis than Gardy does with the Twins. Imagine what he could do with Yankees or Red Sox payroll (or, at the very least, a Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, or Mets sized payroll). Hopefully the Twins payroll is able to go up upon entering Target Field next year.

(BTW, yes, I do think Tracy should be NL MoY).

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
It's not a choice between Tracy and Gardy - the NL and AL each have their own MoYs.

And I might sound biased as well, but I agree with Gardy being AL MoY as well, and there could be a case for him getting it just about every year. There is not another manager in baseball that gets more out of his payroll on a yearly basis than Gardy does with the Twins. Imagine what he could do with Yankees or Red Sox payroll (or, at the very least, a Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, or Mets sized payroll). Hopefully the Twins payroll is able to go up upon entering Target Field next year.

(BTW, yes, I do think Tracy should be NL MoY).

What about the marlins they also do very well with little. Not to mention Tampa Bay. I always root for any low payroll team in the playoffs.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I agree that Gardy should be AL manager of the year.

But, Mike Scioscia is very deserving as well. They lost one of their starters to a horrible accident, plus Vlad and Torii have missed significant time. And they won the West going away.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
He should be in the running every year for the job he does with the players he is handed. He should win it this year for the AL, although, call me crazy, but Girardi should be in the mix too for finally getting those egos to all mesh for 103 wins.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I agree about Gardy, but I think it's more about the Twins entire system than just one man when it comes to getting what they do out of their payroll and players.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Their GM and scouting is amazing also. They continually restock their team with guys they've made through their farm system. Every year, same story.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
If they manage to pull it off on Tuesday then I agree, but coming in second place in one of the weakest divisions in baseball isn't anything to write home about.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If they manage to pull it off on Tuesday then I agree, but coming in second place in one of the weakest divisions in baseball isn't anything to write home about.

Well when you have little money to begin with and you lose your top starting pitcher, your best power hitter, your best reliever, your starting 3rd basement, and you still have a chance to win........it goes beyond what division you are in.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What about the marlins they also do very well with little. Not to mention Tampa Bay. I always root for any low payroll team in the playoffs.

While both the Marlins and Rays have also done well with a small payroll, the Rays really didn't put it together until last year, and the Marlins have been up and down - although they have recovered from two catastrophic fire sales very nicely. But they haven't done what the Twins have done - with the exception of 2007, they've been a playoff-caliber team every year since 2001. To be good enough to make the playoffs almost every year for an entire decade without the payroll that the Yankees and Red Sox have to accomplish such a feat is just amazing.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Cuddyer has stepped up huge since JM went down. I think that's the biggest thing I've noticed.

It's why Cuddy is one of my favorite Twins. He doesn't have Morneau's or Mauer's star power, but over the years he's the guy that I've really started wanting at the plate when the game is on the line. For instance, Saturday. When I saw he was coming up after the Twins let the lead go, I really wasn't too worried at all.

I'd just like him to start playing more consistently earlier in the year so he can make an All Star Game one of these years. Hopefully the year that Target Field hosts it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
It's why Cuddy is one of my favorite Twins. He doesn't have Morneau's or Mauer's star power, but over the years he's the guy that I've really started wanting at the plate when the game is on the line. For instance, Saturday. When I saw he was coming up after the Twins let the lead go, I really wasn't too worried at all.

I'd just like him to start playing more consistently earlier in the year so he can make an All Star Game one of these years. Hopefully the year that Target Field hosts it.

I would love to see Clutch make it to the All-Star game. Watching him throw out guys from right field are some of my favorite Twins memories. Hopefully he can keep his hands healthy next year and keep up this power streak he's picked up.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think Girardi will get it, but Mike Scioscia and Gardenhire deserve it more. Had Texas made a push for the playoffs, their manager would've also had a good shot. I almost lean towards Scioscia just beacuse the Twins play in one of the most awful divisions in baseball and only finished 10 or 11 over .500.

Tracy should have the NL MoY and it shouldn't even be close.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think Girardi will get it, but Mike Scioscia and Gardenhire deserve it more. Had Texas made a push for the playoffs, their manager would've also had a good shot. I almost lean towards Scioscia just beacuse the Twins play in one of the most awful divisions in baseball and only finished 10 or 11 over .500.

It really saddened me the way the Rangers faded down the stretch. Nolan Ryan has really turned that organization around by focusing on the pitching (read the ESPN the Mag article - it was quite interesting). It's just too bad they faded down the stretch. I also have no problems with Scioscia winning either. I just would have a problem with Francona or Girardi winning it - with those size payrolls they should be winning.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I agree on giving it to Gardy. When Morneau went down I figured it was game over. But they've held this thing together and really done well.

The (much maligned) front office deserves some credit too. Where would the Twins be right now without Orlando Cabara at short and Rousch coming out of the bullpen? Two good in season moves that cost them next to nothing but have really paid dividends.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I don't see how Giradi deserves it. With the Yankees' money, they SHOULD be winning a 100 games a year.