if you could time travel back 15 years ago

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I thought that Baylor was shoved down the Big 12's throat and they didn't have a choice. I thought that originally, Arkansas was tabbed for the Big 12 south, but the state of Texas made some power play to get Baylor in the mix. Could be wrong, though. I have nothing to back that up. Just something that I heard.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Baylor has been pretty good at all of the Olympic sports... I'm sure if you asked any of the Texas schools they would rather have kept TCU, Houston, and Rice then just added the Oklahoma schools and Nebraska.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I thought that Baylor was shoved down the Big 12's throat and they didn't have a choice. I thought that originally, Arkansas was tabbed for the Big 12 south, but the state of Texas made some power play to get Baylor in the mix. Could be wrong, though. I have nothing to back that up. Just something that I heard.

The governor of Texas at the time, Mom (the CEO of Mom's Friendly Robot Corporation), was a graduate of Baylor. She threatened robotic doom on the state of Texas if Baylor was not allowed in.

80697_512x288_generated__qgxMaKQXn0uhWmKHOal2aA.jpg

Reactions: tim_redd

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The governor of Texas at the time, Mom (the CEO of Mom's Friendly Robot Corporation), was a graduate of Baylor. She threatened robotic doom on the state of Texas if Baylor was not allowed in.

80697_512x288_generated__qgxMaKQXn0uhWmKHOal2aA.jpg

What smells like freaking porpoise hork?

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I would still have taken Baylor. Texas and Texas A&M were obvious. In a 12 team league, Texas Tech was the third logical choice. Then it was between Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, and Rice for the last spot because Arkansas was already in the SEC. Rice was too small. SMU was still feeling the effects of the death penalty. Between the other three, I believe Baylor had the best football record over the previous 10-15 years. They had only had fewer than six wins a couple times in the previous ten years.

As for hindsight, TCU is great now, but who's to say it would have been as easy getting to this point if they had to compete in the Big 12 South when they were trying to build their program up? And even today, I think Baylor averages more people at games than TCU, or at least it's pretty close.

CJDelmonico

Aug 23, 2009
I would still have taken Baylor. Texas and Texas A&M were obvious. In a 12 team league, Texas Tech was the third logical choice. Then it was between Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, and Rice for the last spot because Arkansas was already in the SEC. Rice was too small. SMU was still feeling the effects of the death penalty. Between the other three, I believe Baylor had the best football record over the previous 10-15 years. They had only had fewer than six wins a couple times in the previous ten years.

As for hindsight, TCU is great now, but who's to say it would have been as easy getting to this point if they had to compete in the Big 12 South when they were trying to build their program up? And even today, I think Baylor averages more people at games than TCU, or at least it's pretty close.

Man people have short memories. The Big XII South was complete crap the first 4 years of the Big XII.

In 1996 when the league was formed, Oklahoma was beyond bad, Texas was very average save for one big upset, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Baylor were awful. aTm was the best overall program in the South until 2000.

The North was where the power of the conference was located. Nebraska was in the midst of a 60-3 run that included 3 national titles, Colorado and Kansas State were top 10 programs, and Mizzou had 2 good bowl years in 97-98. The conference was a mirror image of what it's been the past few years.

It's not like the South has always dominated, and it's not like Texas and OU have always dominated, either. They just have been in an "up" cycle while the traditional North powers have been in a "down" cycle. The momentum is slowly starting to shift back the other way with NU, MU, and KU. It remains to be seen what Rhoads will do, as well as KSU and CU with a new coach next year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is based closer to location, but what if you had

Texas
Tech
A&M
Oklahoma
Okie State
Baylor
TCU
Rice
Houston
Arkansas

Then you had

Missouri
Nebraska
Iowa State
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

And then you had

Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Purdue
Penn State
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Pittsburg

I know there are a million things wrong with doing it, but it's fun to think of!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Would they even have to play basketball or would the championship just go to them every year without playing? But I get what you are doing.

There are other teams that definitely could have challenged them over the last 15 years... ISU, Wisconsin, Illinois..

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Would they even have to play basketball or would the championship just go to them every year without playing? But I get what you are doing.

that's one of the million things wrong with it.....tho Iowa State would overcome them :D

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
15 years ago MN had a good bb program as well. Granted, all of the players had someone paid to go to class for them, but the teams were solid.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
would you put TCU over Baylor in the Big 12?

Heck no I wouldn't. Thinking back to some of the debates about Mac, I remember seeing a stat that like 60% of his Big 12 wins were against Baylor and KU. If we replace Baylor with TCU, who actually turned out to be a solid program, those "glory" years may not have happened. Take out a couple Baylor games and we may have ended up short a couple of bowl games.

..... Of course that may have also prevented all these we never should have fired Mac threads.... in that case, maybe we should have taken TCU.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I would go back 17 years and convince Arkansas and LSU that the SEC has no future. Then convince them to join a new league called the Big 12 and leave out Baylor/Tech/& TCU

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
:jimlad:If we could go back 15 years I bet Urban Meyer would have been available and we could have gotten him away from his little guy position to come here. Just a thought.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Would have convinced the Big 10 that Hayden Fry and Iowa was on it's last leg and that ISU could trade places with Iowa in the Big 10.

We would have won a couple Big 10 Championships and played in the Rose Bowl with that easy schedule.:jimlad:

Last edited: