For the first time in 3 years...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I actually have a bit of hope.

Mistakes made last night? Certainly. However...

- There were not forced passes, I counted 1 - maybe 2.
- Running game - fantabulous. Especially in the 2nd half.
- AA "getting a little help from his friends" down near the goal line, shoving him closer to paydirt.
- Mr. Arnaud, you finally saw your running back streaking down the sidelines and hit him - wasn't that fun?
- Ballzy and effective running the same play in succession, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row. Most demoralizing thing you can do to a team if effective.
- Hamilton is finally showing why he can/should be this team's #1 WR.
- While Army is really one dimensional (running) defense did a solid job. I thought our ends would get spun around alot with the triple O but they held their own
- Much better job tackling, although this still is a big area for improvement
- Biggest play given up was for 30 yards. Biggest run was for a little under 20. I'll take that.
- Brandtner. 'Nuff said.
- "Money" Mahoney!
- No punt drops - yay!
- No turnovers - double yay!
- Responding to Army's scoring drives quickly (except for their early FG). GW drive was the one to start the 2nd half, IMO.

I'm still concerned about these items...

- ARob's what looked to be hammy
- Depth
- AA continuing to take what the defense gives him instead of forcing things
- Herman making run first, pass second. IMO he's still too quick to go to the air for this team, at this time.
- Receives getting separation
- Going 3/11 on 3rd down
- Giving up 100% of the 4th down conversions
- Stupid, idiotic, dumb, moronic, inexcusable personal foul penalties. I was absolutely livid over both, especially the late block on special teams after we had great field position.
- Gotta wrap up on defense, boys
- Still not much pressure on the QB
- Can't miss that gimme FG, Mahoney
- Not being able to put teams away

Before the season, I certainly would have taken a 3-1 start. Now, IMO, we played very poorly in those first 3 games - even though we won two - we certainly did not look good. However, last night we looked much better.

In order for this team to go 4-1 and then get...well...who knows...we MUST make sure this offense runs through ARob first and foremost. And only after the defense is stacking against the run do we look to "air it out". And I've heard the stats about year 1 vs year 2 at Rice for Herman...blah, blah, blah. As long as ARob is here (and we bring back virtually the entire offense, including the line) - this should be a team that seeks to run the ball upwards of 40+ times per game. We hit 43 carries last night and ARob had 21. Recipe for success.

Oddly enough, the defense continues to not slit our throats, which is really the amazing thing. Are they good/dependable? Not yet. But so far, the offense has been more of the problem than our defense - by a mile. Kudos boys.

I was mildly looking forward to our road trips to KC and Lawrence the next two weekends, until last night. IMO, the K-State game is still a toss-up (one we aught to win though) and I think KU is better than we are, but beatable. Both should be fun games and I'm certainly stoked to see 'em in person now.

I just hope the players stay grounded with this 3-1 start (and there is plenty to stay grounded about) and fans realize we probably got one more game this season that causes all of us to go WTF?!?. Still cautious about this team, but for now a good home win cures most ails.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Okay, I am as happy as anyone and I know this board is a lovefest for the Clones today as it usually is after a win or meltdown city after a loss and it feels good to be 3-1...

But, I am very glad to see CPR's reactions to the game, he still knows we really haven't accomplished anything yet and that we have a LONG way to go. I have said it before and I will say it again. Kansas State in arrowhead next week is the most important game of our season, I believe this team needs to show it's a new team that can turn those close losses to close wins.

I'm not trying to take stuff away from the Cyclones right now, but we've beaten NDSU, Kent State, and Army. Yeah it's good to have 3 wins through 4 games having had 3 and 2 win seasons under that idiot that used to be our coach. But I am glad CPR is ready to start preparing the buses for bowl games.

Be happy with the win today Cyclones, but still a lot to prove...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The biggest thing I noticed yesterday was taking care of the ball. I saw one pass where it looked like Austen forced a ball he shouldn't have and that was to Collin Franklin. Austen still needs to work on the whole touch on his passes to the flats. He looks like he has Tarvaris Jackson syndrome. Instead of just throwing the pass to where the receiver can get to it, he tries rifling everything and ends up wide. I'm not saying he should lob it over there, but throwing it 96 if you can't put it somewhere the receiver can get to it doesn't work.

Also, on 3rd and 7, DON'T RUN A 5 YARD SLANT! The receivers and Austen BOTH need to know that.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
The only thing I'm concerned about right now is ARob's injury. He has been by far our best player and to have any chance against KSU we have to have him playing.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The only thing I'm concerned about right now is ARob's injury. He has been by far our best player and to have any chance against KSU we have to have him playing.

or playing less than 100% which is what I'm afraid we will get next week.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I'm waiting to see how we perform against a Big 12 team before I start having hope. Its nice having 3 wins right now, but we could still end up getting clobbered the rest of the way out, especially if A-Rob's injury is a nagging type.

If we thrash K-State next weekend, then I'll start having hope. K-State is not good. Neither are we. But we're going to find out which team is on the upswing next Saturday.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Much hope goes south if ARob is out for any amount of significant time or is slowed quite a bit. The guy is vital to our running game and vastly underutilized in the passing attack.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Much hope goes south if ARob is out for any amount of significant time or is slowed quite a bit. The guy is vital to our running game and vastly underutilized in the passing attack.

It could be a wonderful opportunity for one of the other RBs to step up and grab the opportunity. In particular, the one that hasn't seen the field yet this year...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have hope in the sense that I think we have a long-term coach that can build us into being competitive in the North down the road, but I still only see another 2 wins this year.

We looked good this week but we were playing a pretty bad team in comparison to those that we want to look good against. We didn't beat ourselves last night, which is a great change, but we hardly looked like a team that has much of a chance of hanging within 30 of OU, TX or Okie State. Even in our North, I would say Colorado is the only team we're "better" than, though K-State possibly as well. Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska could all hang 40 on us and I still think our fans far overstate our offensive abilities.

Not being a downer, just realistic. We're a 4-6 win team just as most thought we were coming into the year. That is a great improvement over last year but even if we continue to develop, people better be ready for a big step backwards in total wins the next two years due to the brutal schedules.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Doubling our win total from last year would be a great start into turning this thing around!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have hope in the sense that I think we have a long-term coach that can build us into being competitive in the North down the road, but I still only see another 2 wins this year.

We looked good this week but we were playing a pretty bad team in comparison to those that we want to look good against. We didn't beat ourselves last night, which is a great change, but we hardly looked like a team that has much of a chance of hanging within 30 of OU, TX or Okie State. Even in our North, I would say Colorado is the only team we're "better" than, though K-State possibly as well. Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska could all hang 40 on us and I still think our fans far overstate our offensive abilities.

Not being a downer, just realistic. We're a 4-6 win team just as most thought we were coming into the year. That is a great improvement over last year but even if we continue to develop, people better be ready for a big step backwards in total wins the next two years due to the brutal schedules.

I'm a fairly large Kool-Aid guy, and I don't have any trouble saying that there are 2-3 good, solid potential wins on the schedule. I still see tons of hope just in seeing that things we've all begged to see addressed in our anonymous forum are actually being addressed by our coaches, instead of simply plugging along like nothing was wrong, even while giving up 5000 points per game on the same plays week after week.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Fully agree. There were people in the stands near the end of the game talking bowl opportunities. I didn't interject, just chuckled. Could happen, but not realistic.

IMO, we will have to win a conference road game and the one on a neutral field this coming weekend to do it. Tall task for a program without a conference road win since '05 and not many others in that time span.