Any Physics genius' on this board?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I need help with a problem for my AP online class, my teacher is a bigger idiot than Pacman Jones, and can't teach to save her life:
A cannonball is fired from a cliff 140 m high downward at an angle of 27 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If the cannon's muzzle velocity is 34 m/s, what is the cannon ball's speed when it hits the ground?
Any help would be appreciated. You don't necessarily have to do it for me, but just show me which equations to use, and which variables mean what.
Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Has resistance been taken out of the problem?

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Things that need to be taken into account include terminal velocity (you would need the mass of the cannon ball), gravity in general (the cannon ball may be traveling almost straight down by the time it gets to the ground)

Personally I would look into projectile motion equations. All projectiles proceed on a curve, you are just starting 60% of the way through the curve.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have nothing to offer this thread in terms of an answer...but what does it say about me that I am curious to see what the answer is? I keep hitting refresh to see if someone has offered an answer...

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Things that need to be taken into account include terminal velocity (you would need the mass of the cannon ball), gravity in general (the cannon ball may be traveling almost straight down by the time it gets to the ground)

Personally I would look into projectile motion equations. All projectiles proceed on a curve, you are just starting 60% of the way through the curve.
That's what I'm trying to do, use the projectile motion equation, but once i plugged all the numbers in, the computer said the answer was wrong, but you get three shots at each problem.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron