Bears play by play guy a Clone

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I like Joniak. I think he does a pretty good job.

I like him too, as a Bears and Clone fan. Just never heard him give any love to ISU on the air, or even a mention. Then again, being a NFL play by play guy it's probably tough to work crappy ISU football teams in the conversation.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
It used to come up every so often on the broadcasts that he was a ISU grad. I can't get the signal for the radio play by play since they switched from WGN to WBBM, so I haven't heard him for a few years. I believe he broadcast the Cyclone games on the student radio station while he was in school.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
None. They were on 1150am for awhile but they weren't on the radio in Des Moines last season. Was hoping kxno would pick them up this year but they went with the vikings instead.

So the Chiefs, Viks and Packers? are in Des M but no Bears, what gives?

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

I think they are in 4th place in popularity among those choices, but not by much. I think Orton starting helped get them on the radio here.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Jeff is a proud clone. He lived on the same dorm floor ( Friley, Niles House).

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Anybody know anything about him? Does he actually claim us and support the university or was it just a place to go to school. I'd think the alumni association and possibly football program would like to keep on his good side, for donations at the very least.

WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather - Jeff Joniak

Interesting. I didn't know that. I absolutely love the Bears' radio crew. Joniak is solid, and Thayer and Zaidman really round out the team well. Thayer is one of the best color guys I've ever listened to. His ability to break down a play in great detail the moment it happens is facinating to listen to. You rarely get level of analysis on TV with the aid of a telestrator.

As for the Bears' local radio coverage, the word 'pathetic' comes to mind. I was surprised when KXNO didn't pick them up simply because it seemed like the logical business decision. They would have had a monopoly on that market in the Des Moines metro as you can't pick up the game anywhere on the AM dial. You have to be at a computer so you can get the streaming audio through KBBM's website.

Obviously the Vikings have a lot of fans in the area, but I'm guessing KXNO doesn't have a monopoly on the radio dial and you can tune into the broadcast on more than one station from the DM metro.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My dad went an interviewed him as an alumni last year. Said it was a blast to meet him and see the Bears facility.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Because I don't think Des Moines is this big "Chicago sports town" that some people like to think it is. As it stands, if it weren't for the fact that the Cubs' AAA team was located in Des Moines and the fact that the vast majority of the games are on WGN (making the Cubs more of a national team), and if it wasn't for the fact that the Bulls for so long were the only NBA team in the upper-Midwest (obviously the T-wolves changed that over the last 20 years), I'm not sure there would be such a big Cubs or Bulls following in Des Moines, as Des Moines is much closer to both KC and Minneapolis/St Paul.