Get Motivated Seminar - DSM

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Went yesterday in DSM....thought it was pretty good. Good speakers...

C. Powell - Great!
Laura Bush - not so much...kinda blah
Terry Bradshaw - Outstanding!
Phil Towns - question below
Rudy G. - OK
Zig Ziglar - Dissapointing

...and a few more.

A lot of it was a big sales pitch...particularly Phil Towns and his investing strategies.

Anyone do this or heard of it? Thousands were signing up...

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I heard from someone that attended that Terry Bradshaw said that he hated the Hawkeyes because they didn't write him back. He wrote the FB Department that he wanted to walk on, he would pay his own way from Louisiana just to try out.....since he was born in Iowa. They never replied to him......went to La Tech....and the rest is history.

Apparantly the crowd was very taken-aback from this knowledge.

PS
Iowa still sucks.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
All I know is that I had a heck of a time getting to work yesterday! :wink: Sounds like a great line-up though. I had no idea all of those people were coming.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Phil Town's strategies are solid. However, he makes it easier than it looks, of course. The tool he was pitching really makes things easier on investing. His book, which I would encourage anyone interested to read, explains all of it in greater detail without pitching products. In fact, the book was written before investools tailored their product to his strategies, so it leans more to free sites.

Bwalk

Mar 21, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I attended also and thought Colin Powell was excellent. A lot funnier than I envisioned. Seemed to me that Zig Ziglar would have been good before his fall but it was just weird yesterday. Bradshaw and James Smith were my favorites. I did sign up for the Phil Town endorsed seminar in case it was a good deal but after going home and researching it further, I cancelled. Seems like it may work for some people but it basically looked like timing the market which is not recommended by most financial gurus. Overall I enjoyed the speakers but didn't necessarily find them all that motivating, more like story telling sessions.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I thought Belluzo had some good sound advice. Powell obviously had some great stories and lessons learned.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
I was there as well, Bradshaw was awesome, and I agree, Colin Powell was much more laid back than I ever envisioned. Laura Bush was interesting, but she just read from her ******. Felt bad for Zig Ziglar, he was good but is clearly not completely all there anymore. Tamara Lowe who organizes these with her husband came across as very insincere to me, and then she was just trying to pitch her book.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Tamara Lowe who organizes these with her husband came across as very insincere to me, and then she was just trying to pitch her book.

Agree 100%. I pretty much hated her entire bit. I thought her little "God rap" was terrible. She had a captive audience and just was pushing an agenda, in my honest opinion.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I had a chance to go to it and turned it down. Only people of interest to me were Powell and Zigler.

I heard Zigler had a stroke recently, and that some think it's painful to watch him now. That one of his children had to go up on stage and get him going. Did this happen here, too?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I heard Zigler had a stroke recently, and that some think it's painful to watch him now. That one of his children had to go up on stage and get him going. Did this happen here, too?

His daughter said that he fell down the stairs in March 2007. Yes, she had to lead him on stage and basically prompt all of his answers. They mixed it with a lot of video too. I thought it was pretty sad. I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like his son is leading the company now. So, they pretty much need the Zig Ziglar personality to keep the company afloat. I could be wrong though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Went yesterday in DSM....thought it was pretty good. Good speakers...

C. Powell - Great!
Laura Bush - not so much...kinda blah
Terry Bradshaw - Outstanding!
Phil Towns - question below
Rudy G. - OK
Zig Ziglar - Dissapointing

...and a few more.

A lot of it was a big sales pitch...particularly Phil Towns and his investing strategies.

Anyone do this or heard of it? Thousands were signing up...

I heard Phil Towne speak a couple years ago, and it was very interesting, but I did not sign up. I did buy his book (Rule #1) and read it, and started investing on Scottrade. Unfortunately, I really didn't follow the system, so I don't know if it would have worked or not. It does give you a good idea about the different indicators and what they mean.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron