Kent St. To Start Freshman QB

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
This has "Brad Smith gets hurt so bring in that little known backup" written all over it.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I would pressure him all night...make them go to a max-protection and narrow his options down when he has to pass.

LJ will shut down one guy and hopefully KB can take care of the other guy.

The key to this will be to stop the run and score a lot of points so that they are forced to pass. If they can run, then we are screwed...

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
wow, kid got a 4.43 GPA?

Well, I is uh athulete too and my gpa be up in teh 4.8..:jimlad:

In all actuality, it probably means that he took honors courses or ap courses or something of the sort in high school. Many high schools will make an A in one of those course worth 5 or 6 rather than the standard 4 due to the increased difficulty and homework load.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
This has "Brad Smith gets hurt so bring in that little known backup" written all over it.

The difference being that we spent all week preparing for Brad Smith and not the backup (although I'd presume some time is spent on the backup QB to cover the bases). I'm sure this week with the QB in question since Monday or before we have been preparing for all the QB's.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There are also some school districts across the nation that grade on a 5.0 scale instead of the 4.0 that we're more familiar with.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Bring 5 or six all night and make sure we are jamming the receivers at the line. This kid should be horrified if we do it correctly. The problem will occur if we can not effectively slow down the routes and let guys slip open. Let Sims ball hawk and hopefully get another couple picks. To me, this SHOULD be close to a shut out without Jarvis. It won't be, but it should.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Wow, he played on a team in HS that didn't punt their last 20 games of his career.

I read an article on that coach and his philosophy of not punting several years ago. Mathematically it made sense but I'm not sure I buy into it. If memory serves me that team's 4th down conversion was well above average. The author attributed that to better play calling on 3rd down because you’re not always going for 1st down marker.