new commit 2010

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Write up on her on Hoopgurlz

Summer 08: Cal Swish guard Kelsey Harris from Brea, Calif., showed why she is so highly regarded in her state. She supplied a huge spark for the Swish when defenses were designed to take away the team's primary offensive weapon, Christina Marinacci. Harris showed deadly three-point shooting accuracy and the confidence to pull the trigger when given even the slightest big of space. Her quick release allowed her to score 18 first half points in one game. She knew she was hot, sprinted the floor in transition, and spotted up early before the defense could find her. The 5-10 Brea High School star does more than shoot the ball, she has a strong fundamental base and is a very good passer. Both her high school and her club team run plenty of offensive sets and she excels in that environment. Her athleticism is adequate but proving she can stay in front of the elite players at her position may hang out there a bit. People questioned that about another Brea star in years past, Jeannette Pohlen, and she proved that there is more to defending than raw quickness.

Nike Skills May 08: Kelsey Harris is a big, strong combo guard with wing size and point guard vision. She is a very good passer and is strong with the ball when she goes to score herself. She found herself matched up with quicker players at times, but Harris is a smart player who gives enough space to players she knows can get by her. She might be one of the big sleepers in the 2010 class like former Brea star Jeanette Pohlen (Stanford) was in 2007. Like Pohlen, she will do more than just try to score.

Kelsey Harris - College Basketball Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
THe only thing I would not like if I was a womens basketball fan is that fact that it says quicker players she had to give some space to. I think Iowa State women need some athletic upgrades.
I think with some minor athletic upgrades they could win a National Title at some point.
Just my thought as an outsider. Otherwise good catch by Bill.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
West coast guards never pan out at ISU... </sarcasm>

That summer 08 evaluation just screams Iowa State. Welcome aboard!

We all loved our west coast guards Wilson and Medders and if Harris can compete like they could we will be in good shape for years to come.

I feel most positive about whoever did the initial recruiting and got her to visit 2x and commit this weekend, not an easy thing to do.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Her Brea team beat national #2 Mater Dei in the CA Div II state semifinals. How big was that? Look at this.

USA U16 Roster:
Jordan Adams (Mater Dei H.S. / Irvine, Calif.)
Cierra Burdick (South Mecklenburg H.S. / Mathews, N.C.)
Justine Hartman (Brea Olinda H.S. / Brea, Calif.)
Betnijah Laney (Smyrna H.S. / Clayton, Del.)
Ariel Massengale (Bolingbrook H.S. / Bolingbrook, Ill.)
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (Mater Dei H.S. / Anaheim, Calif.)
Alexia Standish (Colleyville Heritage H.S. / Colleyville, Texas)
Breanna Stewart (Cicero-North Syracuse H.S. / North Syracuse, N.Y.)
Kiah Stokes (Linn Mar H.S. / Marion, Iowa)
Morgan Tuck (Bolingbrook H.S. / Bolingbrook, Ill.)
Alexyz Vaioletama (Mater Dei H.S. / Fountain Valley, Calif.)
Elizabeth Williams (Princess Anne H.S. / Virginia Beach, Va.)

Notice that one of Harris' teammates made the U16 squad as well.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
West coast guards never pan out at ISU... </sarcasm>

That summer 08 evaluation just screams Iowa State. Welcome aboard!
I was thinking the same thing. She sounds like a gal that is good fit for our system and should find a spot in the rotation when she gets here.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Today is the first day for WBB in-home and school visits - lasts until Oct. 6. I imagine the town of Huxley and Ballard High School might draw a few visitors starting today...

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The three 2010 players I know are considering ISU are Hallie Christofferson (6-3 P, Exira IA), Vicky McIntyre (6-6 P, Omaha Marian NE), and Ariel Thomas (5-7 PG, Sacramento, CA). I think ISU has offered Christofferson and McIntyre. I don't know if Thomas has been offered, but she's highly regarded so it wouldn't surprise me.

The nice thing about having 8 scholarships open next season (one of which is for Harris) is you can offer more aggressively than you otherwise might. Fennelly's probably looking to sign 4 or 5 but he can extend offers to more than that without risking too many players committing.

Last edited:

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
With the newest group, I believe the low end of the "range" of players being considered has increased. Some players who were being tracked before may not be on the board now.

Toby4ISU

May 26, 2009
I've heard 50 / 50 with Christofferson. I also heard that she may visit in September. We need to get her, Kiah Stokes and Taylor Greenfield to visit on the same day. Those 3 could take us to the final four !! GO STATE

4cyt

Jun 19, 2006
I've heard 50 / 50 with Christofferson. I also heard that she may visit in September. We need to get her, Kiah Stokes and Taylor Greenfield to visit on the same day. Those 3 could take us to the final four !! GO STATE

Stokes and Greenfield are only juniors so they can not visit until next year.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

Any idea who the other 50 is?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron