Malware Help

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm currently using a laptop (PC) that has (at the least) an adware infection. Not mine, and the owner is in L.A. for a while. I don't want to leave it as is--especially since it keeps rerouting CF. :wink:

Can anyone please suggest a good freeware program I can use to remove adware? I'm hardly a computer expert...:confused:

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Yes, Malwarebytes is good too. However you can't rely on one tool. Malwarebytes has missed things that Spybot S&D found, and vice-versa.

Always run multiple utilities for things like this, as I've yet to find one that's perfect.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hmmm...I keep getting "Explorer cannot display the webpage" for lavasoft and malwarebytes. Is that a bad thing?

Edit: Actually, for all of them. Now I'm pretty sure it might be better to shut down the computer...

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hmmm...I keep getting "Explorer cannot display the webpage" for lavasoft and malwarebytes. Is that a bad thing?

Yeah that means your malware added a hosts entry to try and stop you.

Edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and remove any lines that say malwarebytes.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yeah that means your malware added a hosts entry to try and stop you.

Edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and remove any lines that say malwarebytes.
Thanks. :notworthy: That goes beyond my comfort level with someone else's computer. His brother is an IT guy (almost-anyone hiring?), I'll ask him to take a look.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
Thanks. :notworthy: That goes beyond my comfort level with someone else's computer. His brother is an IT guy (almost-anyone hiring?), I'll ask him to take a look.

Download the program to a flash drive and install it that way.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Download the program to a flash drive and install it that way.
I can try that. Told ya I was a computer illiterate. :biglaugh:

Wait--how do I download the program if I can't get to the website? :wideeyed:

Edit: You're saying download the program to a flash drive after I get the code cleared--I see. Thanks!

Last edited:

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Download the program on a different computer to your flash drive or a CD. Install it from the flash drive or CD. I have cleaned up many computers that were filled with junk by using this method.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron