Any update on the headsets?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Here is a question...what if it were NDSU's headsets that didnt work last week...is there a rule for how to handle that for a visiting team?

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Here is a question...what if it were NDSU's headsets that didnt work last week...is there a rule for how to handle that for a visiting team?

Good question - I assume the home team would forego just to make sure there was no question of 'manufacturing an advantage'

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I don't know how it works at ISU, but I'm pretty sure at all other levels, teams bring their own headsets.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Coach Paul called me and ask to borrow my kids Walkee Talkee's. They cost 4 bucks at the dollar store but you can get as far away as the press box to the field and they work.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Jon, saw that one time in a game, usually teams bring their own headgear. In this case, their headgear was not working and thus the home team cannot use headgear either. This prevents any "We didnt know it didnt work" theorys....

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think that the rule states that if any team's headsets don't work then the other team also has to go without.

As for the visiting team headsets, from what I understood the issue wasn't the headsets themselves, which the team brings, but the connection to the booth.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Iowa would be smart to bring faulty headgear. Their offense is simple. Ours is not. Assuming ISU would have to refrain from using theirs.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
hopefully we'll keep the wiring top secret so KF and staff can't infiltrate like last year. cost us the game.
How many times do we have to re-hash this. I highly doubt they were stealing the signal. We wouldn't have had the chances we did if they were. Iowa State lost because we couldn't execute squat inside the red zone.

Didn't realize communication was the problem on Brodell's punt return. Or on Franklin's dropped TD. Or for the missed field goals. Or for the picks we threw.

HankCy

Aug 28, 2009
I thought ISU's wirless headsets didn't work in iowa city last year. May have been a different road game. Luckily they had the backups.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

It is typical as a courtesy that if one sides head sets aren't working then the other team wil voluntarily not use theres. NDSU went ahead and used theirs and Rhoads didn't seem to mind.

If this were to happen during the ISU-iowa game I think you would see both teams do the right thing and not use their head sets.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
It is typical as a courtesy that if one sides head sets aren't working then the other team wil voluntarily not use theres. NDSU went ahead and used theirs and Rhoads didn't seem to mind.

If this were to happen during the ISU-iowa game I think you would see both teams do the right thing and not use their head sets.

Yeah, but how hard is it for Ken O'Keefe to signal in draws on every 3rd down? Honestly.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Yeah, but how hard is it for Ken O'Keefe to signal in draws on every 3rd down? Honestly.

Just saying... I don't think there is any kind of rule stating that if one team's head sets aren't working that the other side can't use theirs. NDSU used theirs last week when ours were out. It's all about doing what is fair and what is right. Most coaches will do the honorable thing unless they coach an FCS team and need every advantage they can get.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I'm envisioning an easel with a big notepad and fat magic marker, like in Win, Lose or Draw. But they have to use stick figures and small words.