Interesting Stats

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I know that stats tell us little after only one game, especially when that game is against a lower division school; still, the majority of schools played a lower division schools last week and it is nice to see some decent stats.

Offense..........National Rank
First Down.......13
Rushing..........35
Passing..........39
Total............36
Scoring..........38
Pass Efficiency..50
3rd conversion...27
RedZone..........1
Interceptions....1
Fumbles..........84
Sacks............31
Tackles for loss.49

Defense..........National Rank
Rushing..........92
Passing..........50
Total............83
Scoring..........52
Turnover margin..43
Interceptions....30
Pass Efficiency..61
Sacks............11
Tackles for loss.22
3rd conversion...55
RedZone..........30
FirstDowns.......39

Special Teams....National Rank
Net punting......11
Punt return......58
Kick return......22
Punt return D....1
Kick return D....11
Brandtner........4
Mahoney..........14

Other............National Rank
Penalities.......1
Penalized yards..3

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I like the red zone, the penalties, and the fact that the defense isn't listed in the 100's in any category.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
How about this national rankings comparison after week 1?

ISU / IOWA

Scoring Offense 38th / 79th
Scoring Defense 52d / 50th
TO Margin 43d / 78th

IMO, these are the three most important stats for handicapping. This is a very interesting comparison in light of who the opponents were.

VERY INTERESTING..........................................

Last edited:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
ISU rushing def. 92nd..........that is alarming based on who they played.

Not really. Is it good? No! But I wouldn't say it's alarming.

We finished ranked 95th last year in rush D and started off letting SDSU rush for 180 yards in a game. It is partly the type of team we faced and it is partly the fact that we are bad against the run. Bad news is, our rushing D is going to continue to look bad as we face Iowa and Army soon, not to mention that KentSt and KansasSt have solid running attacks.

I'm encouraged at some of the other stats, like passing D. Last year we were 116 out of 119 in pass D and so far we are 50th this year.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
We are also tied for #1 in the country in wins.

Stats after one week don't mean a whole lot, IMO.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
ISU rushing def. 92nd..........that is alarming based on who they played.

Not really when we play a team that primarily runs the football. It's not good by any means, but they wanted to pound it out on the ground. I know it's not reality, but take two runs away and we are a lot better. If we correct those little mistakes we should be OK.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
O, and hopefully we can stay where we are in sacks, that would be huge in this conference.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
How about this national rankings comparison after week 1?

ISU / IOWA

Scoring Offense 38th / 79th
Scoring Defense 52d / 50th
TO Margin 43d / 78th

IMO, these are the three most important stats for handicapping. This is a very interesting comparison in light of who the opponents were.

VERY INTERESTING..........................................

I can't imagine anyone would honestly want to bet this game. The way both teams performed in week 1 and with weather possibly being not the greatest, I'd rather bet USC/Ohio State then this one.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Not really. Is it good? No! But I wouldn't say it's alarming.

We finished ranked 95th last year in rush D and started off letting SDSU rush for 180 yards in a game. It is partly the type of team we faced and it is partly the fact that we are bad against the run. Bad news is, our rushing D is going to continue to look bad as we face Iowa and Army soon, not to mention that KentSt and KansasSt have solid running attacks.

I'm encouraged at some of the other stats, like passing D. Last year we were 116 out of 119 in pass D and so far we are 50th this year.

We will see about Kansas St. They have a long way to go to get back in the swing of things.

That said, at the end of the day the scoreboard wins all arguments so I could not care less if we gave up a lot of yards on the ground and walked away victorious.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron