Ag Business e-mail fiasco

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Anyone else caught in the never ending e-mails?

Info: the ag-business department sent out a mass email to every e-mail address they have. Seems that if anyone replies to this one message, everyone gets included in the reply. In the past 3 days, I have about 50+ messages on my blackberry. It has passed annoying to almost getting comical.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
Yeah, I am getting them as well. I too am getting kind of annoyed by it as well. Not sure if it is because people are continually hitting "Reply To All" or if its just a glitch in the system. . .

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
This has happened several times while I was at ISU between 1999-2003. All Ag Business emails. Somehow they send out a big mass email to everyone on their list, then instead of just hitting reply, they hit reply all...

I noticed the same thing this weekend too... Great idea... But considering how good of an Ag school we are, they sure are completely lost when it comes to emails and messaging.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
we had it for a few business emails as well. if you reply to the list email name like prebus07@ia it would send your email back to everyone including yourself. who ever runs that list needs to fix it.

tiberius

Sep 20, 2006
It is kind of funny when people complain about people replying to all, by replying to all. If everyone just ignored it, it would stop but it doesn't look like they will figure it out.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Sounds like perhaps the person who "owns" the alias in question used it as the sender, so it looks like one person. Yes, that means a respondent could hit reply and it would go to whomever is on that list. Unfortunately, even when people send such messages, they don't realize that replies don't come only to them.

I've been on the receiving end of such. My sympathies.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
It is kind of funny when people complain about people replying to all, by replying to all. If everyone just ignored it, it would stop but it doesn't look like they will figure it out.

Are you sure that it is a reply all issue? can't believe it would go on this long after many messages not to do it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Are you sure that it is a reply all issue? can't believe it would go on this long after many messages not to do it.

Would that be like people starting many similar threads on here (name your topic) because not everyone reads all the messages that came before. As strange as that seems...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
im guessing the original message probably used an ISU listserv, and somehow all replies are being directed to that listserv as well.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I've created a filter that sends everything to [email protected] to just delete it.

I'm an actual Ag Bus alum and don't want to miss anything that later might be intended for me, but hopefully this will prevent clogging my inbox with the e-mails that are now getting a little carried away by clogging e-mails with cursing now . . .

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
im guessing the original message probably used an ISU listserv, and somehow all replies are being directed to that listserv as well.

we have a winner. thats why almost all listservs that i was part of went straight to the trash