Are we paranoid or is the media against us?

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I read a lot of criticism about the announcers during yesterday's UNI game because they kept bringing up the fact that UNI beat ISU two years ago. I thought they were just being paranoid, after all, that was the last time UNI played a BCS school and it was the biggest win in their history. But we do see a lot of ISU history -- bad -- in the media, and very little of the good. Whenver a FCS team challenges a BCS team, the games that get referred to are Appy State at Michigan and UNI at ISU. Whenever there's a coaching scandal -- e.g. Rick Pitino -- the Eustachy photos are never far behind. And the capper is that whenever a #1 or #2 seed gets in trouble early in the NCAA tournament, footage of the Hampton coach running around like a retard gets played over and over. Is it a conspiracy or are we just paranoid?

Reactions: Wesley

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I believe the "color analyst" was Anthony Herron, former Hawk -- who finished his career 1-3 against ISU.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
The thing that should've tipped you off that something was wrong was that the color analyst kept making the comment..."[Enter players name here] grew up wanting to be a hawkeye all of his life. All Iowa kids do."

What got me was the fact that he was making these comments about the UNI players!!!!

I know for a fact that all kids in iowa don't aspire to be hawkeyes.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I think it's easy to pick on Iowa state cause we've been down in the major sports in the last couple years. But I think you are just being paranoid

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Big 10 Network, Big 10 team losing, announcer trying to make FCS opponent look as good as possible. Plus he's a Hawk. All adds up.

I don't think there is a widespread anti-ISU bias however.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Give it a rest. The game was on the Big 10 network, of course the announcers will be pro Iowa.

I would love to see ISU get more props in the media but until we starting winning year in year out, then they will continue to knock on us and make us the butt of their jokes.

CJDelmonico

Aug 23, 2009
I read a lot of criticism about the announcers during yesterday's UNI game because they kept bringing up the fact that UNI beat ISU two years ago. I thought they were just being paranoid, after all, that was the last time UNI played a BCS school and it was the biggest win in their history. But we do see a lot of ISU history -- bad -- in the media, and very little of the good. Whenver a FCS team challenges a BCS team, the games that get referred to are Appy State at Michigan and UNI at ISU. Whenever there's a coaching scandal -- e.g. Rick Pitino -- the Eustachy photos are never far behind. And the capper is that whenever a #1 or #2 seed gets in trouble early in the NCAA tournament, footage of the Hampton coach running around like a retard gets played over and over. Is it a conspiracy or are we just paranoid?

On field futility along with off field scandal tends to give you a poor reputation. Oregon got one big fat lesson in that fact in one game this week. The media isn't ISU's worst enemy, ISU is.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In all fairness what good would they speak of?

This. Larry's fiasco or the Hampton situation are far more memorable then our noted run to to the NIT final, or our Insite.com bowl win, or our most recent run into the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

I just can't see an announcer saying, "this team really reminds me of the '04 Jared Homan led Iowa State team that made it past the first round of the tournament."

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
This. Larry's fiasco or the Hampton situation are far more memorable then our noted run to to the NIT final, or our Insite.com bowl win, or our most recent run into the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

I just can't see an announcer saying, "this team really reminds me of the '04 Jared Homan led Iowa State team that made it past the first round of the tournament."

The Homan-led NCAA team, the Meyer-to-Bates play & Culbertson kick, Brackins' 42 points against Kansas, the Drew Tate knockout play, the win at nationally ranked Kansas in 2005, etc., are all memorable. And in the spirit of coaches acting like lunatics, why do broadcasters still show footage of that Hampton coach? Footage of the UNLV football coach going nuts, falling flat on his face, then keeping his team on the field in a futile protest is much more compelling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron