I hope the players believe more than the fans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I still see a lot, probably the majority, of Clone fans thinking ISU has little or no hope of beating Iowa unless the Clones play an super good game.:confused:

I just don't get it. Yes, ISU has it's issues, but Iowa was very, very, very lucky to beat UNI on their home field. Now suddenly we are to believe that UNI is USC in different colors. UNI is good, for their division, but there is no way that the number 20 team in the country should need to block 2 FG attempts at the end of a game to hold on. It isn't like Iowa had 5 turnovers more than UNI, they were just plain outplayed for most of the game. UNI was using their 3rd string running back and he did some real damage. If ARob isn't better than the UNI 3rd string RB, then there is something very wrong with the ISU program.

The bottom line is the Hawks are just not that good. Stanzi has to ability to play horrible for long stretches of games. Their defense, while being good, is not as amazing as the media would like us to think.

Reactions: Minnyclone

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Don't count me as one who doesn't think we have a chance. I think we have a VERY good chance of winning on Saturday.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Are you nuts? It'll be a very even game, with the clones eventually winning by a touchdown.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
In the kicked in the nuts syndrome - and we're tired or reaching for an icepack

It's this. ^

I think most are cautiously optimistic, but this series is always so up in the air.

What matters is that the players and the coaches know they can beat Iowa. As fans, what we can do is provide a home environment similar to the 2005 games against Iowa and Colorado.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The feeling I have is most ISU fans think we do have a chance. It is outsiders who dont think we do. its Iowa fans that are making excuses for the UNI game.

CB21

Mar 13, 2009
Sioux Falls
I very much believe we have a good shot this Saturday. Then again it wouldn't suprise me to see Iowa have a completely different game than they just did against UNI.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It's this. ^

I think most are cautiously optimistic, but this series is always so up in the air.

What matters is that the players and the coaches know they can beat Iowa. As fans, what we can do is provide a home environment similar to the 2005 games against Iowa and Colorado.

How is that? There can't be many holdovers left from the 2007 team, and it's a brand new coaching staff.

Similarly, Iowa's coaches know that they can beat Iowa State.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think most people believe it's going to be a competitive game. I believe you're just misinterpreting people not thinking we're going to run away with it after the UNI game.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
How is that? There can't be many holdovers left from the 2007 team, and it's a brand new coaching staff.

What in the hell are you talking about?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I very much believe we have a good shot this Saturday. Then again it wouldn't suprise me to see Iowa have a completely different game than they just did against UNI.

You can bet there were some folks getting their ***** chewed in film session today. Iowa has a lot of stuff to correct on offense, but getting Calloway, Vandervelde and Ferentz back should help.

There was more than one poster here who noted that a team improves more between week 1 and 2 than any other point in the year. However, it seems that there is a certain segment of folks here who think that the same thing doesn't apply to Iowa.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
What in the hell are you talking about?

2007 was the last time ISU beat Iowa, and there can't be many folks on this years team that were on that year's team. The only one I can think of is Rashawn Parker,

This being the new coaching staff's first game against Iowa...they haven't beaten Iowa yet. Maybe I took your post a bit too literally?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am concerned that Austen continues to look like radar at his receivers. He needs to look off the defenders much more. I thought he would be better art that by now. I expect the middle of the field for rushing will be plugged and we will need to pass outside more.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
2007 was the last time ISU beat Iowa, and there can't be many folks on this years team that were on that year's team. The only one I can think of is Rashawn Parker,

This being the new coaching staff's first game against Iowa...they haven't beaten Iowa yet. Maybe I took your post a bit too literally?

Or any other junior or senior that has spent the two previous years here.

I guarantee you both the players and coaches have enough confidence in their abilities to believe they can beat Iowa. If they didn't, they shouldn't be playing here.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI

all they had to do was watch the game against UNI.

btw.... Alexander Robinson, Derrick Catlett, Ben Laamak, Reggie Stephens, Mike Brandtner, Allen Bell, Jesse Smith, Fred Garrin, Bailey Johnson, Mike O'Connell, Josh Raven, James Smith, Chris Lyle, Brian Ekwelundu, Zac Sandvig, Marquis Hamilton, Rashawn Parker, and Devin McDowell would beg to differ with you. All of them played against Iowa in 2007 and all of them are still on the team and many are major contributers.

cyman1189

Aug 11, 2008
Akron, OH
after the NDSU game i will admit i was nervous.... after watching the UNI-EIU game. i think we SHOULD win

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Or any other junior or senior that has spent the two previous years here.

I guarantee you both the players and coaches have enough confidence in their abilities to believe they can beat Iowa. If they didn't, they shouldn't be playing here.

Fair point, but I don't know who those players are, and some of those guys are probably JUCO players.

You could say the same thing for both coaching staff and both teams. Nothing earth shattering there.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006

You make it sound like it was 10 years ago. :rolleyes:

The fact is, we have been exchanging home-team wins for the past several years, and I expect that trend to continue until next year. :yes: