Bradford Injury bad for us

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
We don't play OU this year, but we do the next two years. Now their QB for next year will have some seasoning and experience. Lets hope Colt McCoy does not go down as well.

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008

Some fans in the past have made the point that we need to win in our non-OK/UT years to recruit well. I've been optimistic in thinking that at least when we start the next rotation both of those teams will be starting new quarterbacks. Now, due to Sam Bradford's injury, OK will have a more seasoned qb next year when we play them, thus negating a very important advantage. Additionally, I would also hope that Colt McCoy stays healthy, thus keeping any UT backups from getting quality playing time in preparation for next season when they play ISU.

Stay with me camera guy.

CraigSimpson

Dec 26, 2008
I don't think an injury to a quarterback on a team we don't play is going to have much impact on us--his year or in the future.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Could this possibly result in the Big 12 not getting 2 teams in the BCS and then if we ended up with a 6-6 record there not being enough bowl games for us to go to?

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
I don't think an injury to a quarterback on a team we don't play is going to have much impact on us--his year or in the future.

According to your logic, experience does not make a player better. I couldn't disagree more. Not only will this make their backup qb better prepared for next year, it is also the most important position on the field.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
You don't think McCoy's or Bradford's backup would get experience in mop up rolls this year when they are ahead by 30?

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
You don't think McCoy's or Bradford's backup would get experience in mop up rolls this year when they are ahead by 30?

Certainly, but there is a big difference between mop up duty and starting games against a fresh defense. The possibility is out there that Bradford might be out for the OU game. I would rather not have there backup get that kind of experience.

Maybe the title of this thread is throwing people off by seeming negative. All that I am saying is that all teams on Oklahoma's schedule next year would be better off with Bradford being healthy. Sorry if you can't get with that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I see what you're saying. The OU backup looked ok, and surely will be better off with experience under his belt, but he sure looked like he didn't want to be there at all. I was surprised at that. My initial impression is that he may or may not be the starter next year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Here's a new BCS cluster****....OU runs the rest of the table and we're full of 11-1 teams again.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
According to your logic, experience does not make a player better. I couldn't disagree more. Not only will this make their backup qb better prepared for next year, it is also the most important position on the field.

You don't know how it plays out. Maybe a guy gets experience and gets injured. Maybe his experience is playing terribly, and they have to play musical quarterbacks until they find somebody, who then doesn't get a whole lot of experience.

Too many unknowns here to say that this is bad for us. Just take it a little bit at a time. Enjoy the rivalry week, then look at Kent State and the road streak (hopefully ending), then Army.............

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was going to say that the main reason it's "bad for us" is that now OU isn't going to be in the BCS Title game, and bring us our share of that thick wad of cash.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I don't honestly think it hurts OU that terribly much. He's out probably 2-4 weeks. If you look at OU's schedule, they have Idaho State, Tulsa, then a week off and then Miami, which Bradford could be back for. Then they have Baylor before they go play Texas. Bradford will almost certainly be back for that game, and it's not like Oklahoma doesn't have some talent there at QB. Their backups could probably start at most schools.

As far as it being bad for us, we don't play them until they are halfway through next season, and whoever is QB at that point will have played Florida State, Cincinnati, Air Force and Texas before getting to us. I'm pretty sure that's enough of a warm up to not have to worry too much about us.

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
You don't know how it plays out. Maybe a guy gets experience and gets injured. Maybe his experience is playing terribly, and they have to play musical quarterbacks until they find somebody, who then doesn't get a whole lot of experience.

Too many unknowns here to say that this is bad for us. Just take it a little bit at a time. Enjoy the rivalry week, then look at Kent State and the road streak (hopefully ending), then Army.............

If my name were Leonard Johnson or Austin Arnaud, then yes, I would be taking it one game at a time. Since I'm not, and because much of what we do here is deal in hypotheticals, I am going to think about things of future significance.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Lack of experience didn't hurt Gabbert too much yesterday against the Illini. OU will have a good QB step in next year, and he will likely play well against us, regardless of how much experience he has.