Here's to the fans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Iowa State Fans are incredible. They are the best and most loyal fans in the world. When I signed on last night and the game began, I checkedc out the crowd and I was impressed. Here's a team that went 2-10 last year with obvous weaknesses apparent before the game and they are opening against a MV conference opponent on a thursday night and they get almost 49,000 in attendance? Unbelievable! I venture to say there is not another school anywhere that could duplicate that feat, given our football tradition and recent performance. Iowa State is an amazing place because of the fans. They are great, and my hat is off to those 49,000 wonderful nuts.

Way to go, Cyclones!!!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Very true. I know I was a little disappointed in the crowd involvement in another thread, but I was SHOCKED and impressed at the crowd last night. I can't remember an opener when there weren't empty spaces at the edges of the stands, it was encouraging to say the least. Now just make some noise when you get there!!

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
thats why if we could string together a few years with 7, 8, or 9 wins it would be incredible. ISU is a sleeping giant

Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
thats why if we could string together a few years with 7, 8, or 9 wins it would be incredible. ISU is a sleeping giant

Yeah, we are.

Revkah and I were talking about this before the game, while it was becoming apparent that the crowd was going to be really good.

I don't think anyone in the country turns out like that for a team with our recent history. None.

If CPR can turn this into the program you're talking about, the excitement here goes off the charts. Selling out that 2-level renovation in the endzone wouldn't be an issue at all.

This place would go crazy!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
South Carolina used to have 70k+ even when they sucked out loud. Other than them though I've never heard anything quite like it.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
We got parked at 4 p.m. Still lots of room in the lot then. I was thinking, maybe 40k in the stands. Steadily the cars and fans kept coming. By the time we walked to the stadium, the donor lots on the north side were full. Maybe 42-43k. Got to the stadium, upper corners on east side pretty sparse, yep, about 43k. But noticed the crowd waiting to get through the gates on the south end. Just after kick off, the place was pretty well packed. Dang, I'm thinking 50k, and we almost did it. Starting at 7 I think was a big factor. Gave folks a little extra time to get there. But really, everyone pat themselves on the back. From a 2-10 team that lots of time looked worse than that, playing a FCS (or whatever) school, regardless of their tradition, on a week night, folks, we had a great crowd.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State Fans are incredible. They are the best and most loyal fans in the world. When I signed on last night and the game began, I checkedc out the crowd and I was impressed. Here's a team that went 2-10 last year with obvous weaknesses apparent before the game and they are opening against a MV conference opponent on a thursday night and they get almost 49,000 in attendance? Unbelievable! I venture to say there is not another school anywhere that could duplicate that feat, given our football tradition and recent performance. Iowa State is an amazing place because of the fans. They are great, and my hat is off to those 49,000 wonderful nuts.

Way to go, Cyclones!!!

This is why I don't understand giving up this great atmosphere and support at JT for the game in Kansas City. Ticket sales aren't going that great for it, and K-State is selling half of what we are.
A half-empty Arrowhead vs. 50,000+ at Jack Trice? I don't get it...

Reactions: cyingreen

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This is why I don't understand giving up this great atmosphere and support at JT for the game in Kansas City. Ticket sales aren't going that great for it, and K-State is selling half of what we are.

$$$$$$$$$

jsheajr

Jul 20, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Not only the enthusiasm of the fans, but the fun, welcoming environment should also be applauded. I attended the game last night with my wife and 13-month old daughter. It was the first College Football game for either of them and my first ISU game. Everyone we came into contact with from the fans in the parking lot and in the stands to Cy, the band, cheerleaders, ISU employees, etc. was awesome! People got a huge kick out my daughter in her little ISU outfit and she enjoyed interacting with them. We quickly made friends with everyone around us, including Wally, an engaging and intelligent NDSU fan who was sitting in front of us. So, a HUGE thank you goes out to ISU and its fans. As my wife said when we were leaving, "we are unquestionably Iowa State fans for life now!"

Reactions: aauummm

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Not only the enthusiasm of the fans, but the fun, welcoming environment should also be applauded. I attended the game last night with my wife and 13-month old daughter. It was the first College Football game for either of them and my first ISU game. Everyone we came into contact with from the fans in the parking lot and in the stands to Cy, the band, cheerleaders, ISU employees, etc. was awesome! People got a huge kick out my daughter in her little ISU outfit and she enjoyed interacting with them. We quickly made friends with everyone around us, including Wally, an engaging and intelligent NDSU fan who was sitting in front of us. So, a HUGE thank you goes out to ISU and its fans. As my wife said when we were leaving, "we are unquestionably Iowa State fans for life now!"
:yes: Nice!!!! :biggrin:

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I remember the Insight.com bowl. The pre-qame party was in a pretty good sized place that was also a micro-brewery about 30 yards from the BOB. The Cyclone fans ran the place out of beer! A brewery! The crowd looked like a home game. Solid red. What a blast!

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Very true. I know I was a little disappointed in the crowd involvement in another thread, but I was SHOCKED and impressed at the crowd last night. I can't remember an opener when there weren't empty spaces at the edges of the stands, it was encouraging to say the least. Now just make some noise when you get there!!

The crowd was great is numbers but that was not a loud crowd. The hard part is getting the numbers now we need to work on the noise and excitement level.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Kinda poo-poos that stuff about the Thursday night game leading to poor attendance, eh? And for the "it was paid attendance that inflated it!" folks. The stadium was rather full.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If CPR can turn this into the program you're talking about, the excitement here goes off the charts. Selling out that 2-level renovation in the endzone wouldn't be an issue at all.

All of this is more reason to get r done--and to have it be a substantial expansion at the same time.

You do realize that there are two games at Arrowhead, versus one at Jack Trice? The guarantees mean we break even. If Cyclone (or Wildcat) fans swarm the place either year (or both), we come out ahead.

Frankly, I can't see Arrowhead being "half-empty" in either case.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I couldn't believe it when they announced over the intercom that it was the highest season opener since '87. I also dont know of a better team to open the season with. There were 3 NDSU fans sitting in front of us. Such great people, had great knowledge of there team but not arrigant. These guys can come back anytime!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Frankly, I can't see Arrowhead being "half-empty" in either case.

You must work in ISU sports information.
You do realize that K-State fans have very low interest in this game, judging from ticket sales?
You do realize that football fans in KC have almost no interest in this game, judging from ticket sales?
You do realize that Arrowhead seats almost 80,000?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You must work in ISU sports information.
Is that your response for everyone who disagrees with you?

You do realize that K-State fans have very low interest in this game, judging from ticket sales?
You do realize that football fans in KC have almost no interest in this game, judging from ticket sales?
Funny, neither of those reflect what has been posted here in the last week--one reference being that K-State fans are excited that Snyder is back, the other being that more tickets are still available in our sections than the KSU sections.

Do you just make this junk up? Like, just because you feel like it?

You do realize that Arrowhead seats almost 80,000?
Duh. That's why the guarantees mean that we'll at least break even. I'd expect at least 50-60K--and let you do the math--if it isn't too challenging.