Outside the Lines Report

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
Anyone see this this morning? It was about these coaching search firms in which the athletic director hires them to find candidates for the vacant coaching position at their school. From the report, it sounds like these fees for this service can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000+.

They showed all the teams logos who have used these services within the last 5 years or something like that, and sure enough I saw Iowa State's.

Just wondering what other people thought about this. I don't know quite how I feel yet. I don't remember hearing anything about this doing our coach searches. All I remember is how everyone was blown away with how quickly and secretly Pollard did his search. Turns out he wasn't the one doing it, in fact, he was paying a decent sum of money to have someone else do his job.....

Anyway, thoughts?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A lot of time they use these services for things like background checks and resume verification.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Anyone see this this morning? It was about these coaching search firms in which the athletic director hires them to find candidates for the vacant coaching position at their school. From the report, it sounds like these fees for this service can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000+.

They showed all the teams logos who have used these services within the last 5 years or something like that, and sure enough I saw Iowa State's.

Just wondering what other people thought about this. I don't know quite how I feel yet. I don't remember hearing anything about this doing our coach searches. All I remember is how everyone was blown away with how quickly and secretly Pollard did his search. Turns out he wasn't the one doing it, in fact, he was paying a decent sum of money to have someone else do his job.....

Anyway, thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it has been well known that Pollard uses these search firms. I'm not too concerned about it as long as we're closer to the $10,000 end and not the $100,000 end.

I hope he didn't use them when getting GMac though. That one shouldn't have required too much searching on his part.

If Rhoads gets us back to bowl games... it was worth every penny IMO.

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
I'm pretty sure it has been well known that Pollard uses these search firms. I'm not too concerned about it as long as we're closer to the $10,000 end and not the $100,000 end.

I hope he didn't use them when getting GMac though. That one shouldn't have required too much searching on his part.

If Rhoads gets us back to bowl games... it was worth every penny IMO.

I didn't realize it was well-known he used these firms. I'm not trying to be a Pollard hater here, I just didn't know.

If I were to guess, I bet we relied on them much more for the Chizik hire than any of our other hires, just because of the lack of ISU ties he had.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I didn't realize it was well-known he used these firms. I'm not trying to be a Pollard hater here, I just didn't know.

If I were to guess, I bet we relied on them much more for the Chizik hire than any of our other hires, just because of the lack of ISU ties he had.

in the business world, you get a refund or stop using their service when they deliver a bad egg to you.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was about to post the same thing, I had no idea this went on.

The description of the search firm's job (indentifying candidates, doing background checks, deciding who would be best fit for the program, ect.) sure sounds alot like an AD's job...

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
A search firm can contact coaches easier than an AD. An AD needs to get permission to talk to a coach. Also the coach can say I haven't been contacted by 'insert school name'.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Standard practices that have been going on for years. Started with Lawyers and Alumni, has now progressed to a independent firms to keep things more on the up and up....

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I thought this was common knowledge.

With JP's hires thus far, I'm betting the firms were used to be the middle man in communication, so that the coaches weren't directly communicating with an AD of another school.

I highly doubt he used one in the MBB coaching search, as McDermott came to him, by all reports.

I'm sure one was used to get Chizik. I'm not certain one was used to get Rhoads. I thought I heard that Rhoads' situation was more like McDermott's, in that he contacted JP directly about the job.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
While I'm not a huge fan of these search firms, the reality is they are best way to conduct a search for major universities.

As someone stated earlier, the search firms allow coaches who are currently employed to let universities with coaching vacancies know they might be interested in the vacancy without making it public. They also allow the university with the vacant position to interview the candidates in private. In short, the search firms protect the confidentiality of the candidates and the AD's.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
in the business world, you get a refund or stop using their service when they deliver a bad egg to you.

I would think that scenario would be more a "buyer beware" type of thing. Seeing as Chiz had never held a head coaching job before, all Pollard had to go on was the information he was given, and ultimately it was his decision to hire Chizik.

Just because Chizik was a "bad egg" doesn't mean that whomever ISU hired to do the searching wasn't doing their jobs.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If I recall, it was the search firm the first time around who told us to stay as far away from Bo Pelini as possible. Does anyone recall this?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I was about to post the same thing, I had no idea this went on.

The description of the search firm's job (indentifying candidates, doing background checks, deciding who would be best fit for the program, ect.) sure sounds alot like an AD's job...

When you are putting the program in the hands of a guy who will have the most direct impact on the financial health of the Athletic Dept you better know damn well what the guy is about and how he matches the program. Using a search firm isn't a bad idea when it comes to football. You are investing millions. Unfortunately like anything else it isn't a 100% risk free deal as we saw with Chizdick. His references were great etc.... but the guy was a snake. That is probably one of the few things that they can't find out for you....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron