MLB: Des Moines Baseball Market

Is Des Moines a Yanks/Sox Market or Cardinals/Cubs Market?

• Yankees/Sox

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Cardinals/Cubs

Votes: 109 92.4%

• Total voters

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I'm listening to Matt and Miller right now and I'm really confused right now. Are we listening to Boston sports radio or Iowa sports radio??

Is this a Boston/Yanks market or a Cardinals/Cubs market??

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Listening to him defend Ortiz and call the list bogus, I'm wondering the same thing. Almost makes me wish Iowa had held their media day on a weekday.

Hey Matt - the vast majority of sports fans in this town don't give a **** about Boston or New York. If we wanted to have Sox/Yanks shoved down our throats, we'd watch ESPN.

Reactions: mj4cy

dmg89

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2008
West Des Moines
Listening to him defend Ortiz and call the list bogus, I'm wondering the same thing. Almost makes me wish Iowa had held their media day on a weekday.

Hey Matt - the vast majority of sports fans in this town don't give a **** about Boston or New York. If we wanted to have Sox/Yanks shoved down our throats, we'd watch ESPN.

Well said.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about Matt's shows. Admittedly somewhat because I hate the Red Sox and I am not a huge MLB fan, but he'll railroad the affiliate team of the station for Red Sox stories all the time.

Granted, this topic was unavoidable, but it'll be part of the show where I turn the dial. I can't believe the blew an entire hour on it...when I left the office at 4 I heard it and when I was done listening to my pager traffic at about 10 to 5 they were still on it. Did it carry into the second hour?

Last edited:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Turn it to Marty. He's been keeping it local.

Not going to happen. I use to listen, but his attacks on CF is the reason I made a personal choice to never listen. Don't forget he was the first and foremost person promoting New England sports. This is the midwest.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Not going to happen. I use to listen, but his attacks on CF is the reason I made a personal choice to never listen. Don't forget he was the first and foremost person promoting New England sports. This is the midwest.

He spent about 30 seconds on Sox v Yanks today. Interview with Pollard at 4:30, etc. Brackins talk today as well. He's been very local since his return.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com

But... but... but... he's the MOUTH of the Midwest......

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
I admit - the Red Sox talk in the Midwest can be rather boring....but the point was the talk about the biggest sports story of the weekend. The Papi press conference was a major turning point for the Union. It was really interesting.

I think we have been very consistent with what Ken and I told you we would be....Flavor of the day radio....what ever is big - we will talk about. Papi was 1st. NFL was 2. Opp. preview was 3rd as we will always do that...then Tiger.

Tomorrow - same...flavor of the day but it won't be Red Sox talk at all. If you realize that this what we would talk about regardless of where my fandom lies - then I think you will understand the point of the show today.

Anyways, I think August is pure torture for us. Football so close - yet preseason is all you talk about. NFL will lead the show tom - Mike Florio at 4:30 and then Iowa St. opp preview at 6.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I'll give you credit for this Matt- I haven't heard you guys talk about horse racing yet... please keep it that way.