KSU Hanging On To Top Rated Class?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
4 Star Dominque Sutton has said that he will be attending KSU in the Fall

Ditto for 5 star Bill Walker

5 Star Beasley has not decided. They may have a chance on keeping him since he is a buddy with Sutton and the team that recruited him will now be coaching KSU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
KSU Recruits

Walker enrolled at KSU in December, so it doesn't make much sense for him to transfer if he plans on being in the NBA draft next June.

I'd be surprised if Beasley doesn't go to KSU also. His connection to KSU wasn't Huggins, but the assistant coach Hill. Beasley was all set to go to UNC-Charlotte because Hill was on their staff. Huggie Bear hired Hill & Beasley was soon on his way to KSU. Like Walker- I'd bet Beasley is on his way to the NBA next June.

KSU really sold itself short in their coaching hire. It would not surprise me if they aren't looking for a new coach in 2 years.

Last edited:

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
KSU really sold itself short in their coaching hire. It would not surprise me if they aren't looking for a new coach in 2 years.

Agree. You can have a top recruiting class but if you don't have an X's and O's coach, you won't go to far. You also still need a coach to develop that talent. You would think you would want either a top, well known assistant or a head coach at a mid major to take over a Big 12 program.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Re: KSU Recruits

They could've at least talked to their old coach at Creighton! I mean Arkansas. No I mean Creighton.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
How fun is it going to be to watch our undertalented well coached team spank their 'talented' withtout a coach team

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
Whitlock and Posnanski in the KC Star have some not very nice things to say about this hire, especially Whitlock:

Jason Whitlock column:
http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/62369.html

Joe Posnanski column:
http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/62368.html

And now there's a story on the Star's home page that Beasley will honor his commitment to KSU because they kept Dalonte Hill there (gave him a promotion even). I don't get it. How can you be the best high school basketball player in the nation and be so tied to some no-name assistant coach that you'd end up in Manhattan, KS?

Last edited:

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
Re: KSU Recruits

I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing. If they were to hire some mid-major coach or an assistant from Florida or where ever, they likely lose their whole recruiting class. And maybe Bill Walker too.

KSU probably got these coaches to work for a song. So in two years, after all these guys go NBA you can fire them with very little monetary damage. And make sure you fire them early, so you get first pickings of the new coaching crop.

At worst, you're setting the program back two years. But in the mean time, ticket sales should still be good at least next year based on the potential of Beasley and Walker. And maybe those kids are good enough to really do something special, even with those chumps coaching them.

It isn't a long term solution and definitely a gamble. But, hell, you're KSU. What have you really got to lose?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
The long-term doesn't look good for KSU but who knows? It is remotely possible that the new coaching cadre will exceed expectations and if that happens watch-out. Stranger things have happened.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Walker & Beasley won't Make the Difference

I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing. If they were to hire some mid-major coach or an assistant from Florida or where ever, they likely lose their whole recruiting class. And maybe Bill Walker too.

KSU probably got these coaches to work for a song. So in two years, after all these guys go NBA you can fire them with very little monetary damage. And make sure you fire them early, so you get first pickings of the new coaching crop.

At worst, you're setting the program back two years. But in the mean time, ticket sales should still be good at least next year based on the potential of Beasley and Walker. And maybe those kids are good enough to really do something special, even with those chumps coaching them.

It isn't a long term solution and definitely a gamble. But, hell, you're KSU. What have you really got to lose?

KSU doesn't have enough talent around Walker & Beasley to make the Wildcats much more than a top 25 team next year. Then what happens? Walker & Beasley bolt for the NBA. Hoskins, Clent ? and the JUCO PG use up their eligibility.

What is KSU left with? A program where the kids know they run the show. A program in rebuilding mode. A program with a coach in over his head.

KSU sold themselves short. Why not take the hit with Walker and Beasley and build for the long-term. Go hire a Barry Hensen, Sutton (ORU), Reggie Theus, etc.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Honestly, what college coaches would be interested in taking over the KSU basketball program?

The "short term" fix may not be all that viable of a plan but the alternatives aren't all that attractive either.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
AJK4St8. Seems like a misguided statement, since our "undertalented well coached" team got their *** kicked twice last year by KSU. Other than hope for some new freshman, I don't really see where we get a reason to assume we will beat KSU next year.

Hawk4Life24

Jun 1, 2006
They will probably have to re-recruit him a little bit. Given the fact they retained the key asst. coach I would be shocked if he left. If he did go to Memphis...wow they would be pretty good next year.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
Re: Walker & Beasley won't Make the Difference

KSU doesn't have enough talent around Walker & Beasley to make the Wildcats much more than a top 25 team next year. Then what happens? Walker & Beasley bolt for the NBA. Hoskins, Clent ? and the JUCO PG use up their eligibility.

What is KSU left with? A program where the kids know they run the show. A program in rebuilding mode. A program with a coach in over his head.

KSU sold themselves short. Why not take the hit with Walker and Beasley and build for the long-term. Go hire a Barry Hensen, Sutton (ORU), Reggie Theus, etc.

To be successful in college basketball you only need two or three NBA players. Surround them with some role players and good coaching (KSU will probably be missing this piece) and you have a team that can make some noise come tournament time. Unless you 90% sure Hensen, Sutton or Theus (assuming they would even go to Manhattan) are a home run, I think it's worth rolling the dice on the team Huggy put together.

If you hire a new coach now, you're rebuilding from scratch anyway. At worst in my scenario, it all blows us, you fire the guys coaching now and start over. If it works out, if all these kids are as good as they are cracked up to be, you have a team that can potentially make an elite 8 run.

In summary: It's a big gamble that might (probably will) all go to hell. But if it works out you can make some noise come March of next year. If you start over from scratch now, you don't even have a chance of making the tournament for at least 3 years. Given the drought that K-State has gone through since Kruger left, I think it's worth the risk.