Donations - What's your big picture?

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
To compliment the Grassley thread:
Does your contribution to ISU decrease your other charitable gifts?

Your church? I'm sure we all do 10% here.
American Cancer Society?
American Heart Assoc.?
Local Dollars for Scholars?
Girl Scout Cookies (don't try and deduct that one!)

Where do your priorities lie?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My ISU contributions don't do anything to my family's contributions. We give what we can to a variety of charities, and if we increase our NCC donation, it's not like we'll just cut off the ARL or something.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I still donate to Toys for Tots
JDRF
and United Way

With two kids I have less and less.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
We give money where we participate. What we decide to do at Iowa State does not have any impact on what we do at church or any other contribution.

When I think about it, I probably go to more Iowa State events in a year than I do church! No wonder my wife is always mad at me!!!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm good for $1,500 to ISU (although I tell

my wife its only $500) and we give (with her consent since I'm a veteran) to the USO ($500) and to the Wounded Warrior Project ($1,000).

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I've donated the same to the red cross that I've donated to the NCC, but the amount is not large. In the future, I could honestly see myself donating more to the NCC than anything else - mainly to get better football seats.

Just being honest, and I can live with that.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
I've donated the same to the red cross that I've donated to the NCC, but the amount is not large. In the future, I could honestly see myself donating more to the NCC than anything else - mainly to get better football seats. Just being honest, and I can live with that.

I can totally understand that. I feel that way also, but get the "guilties" about not increasing donations to charities that can really make a difference....Ronald McDonald House. Last Wish Foundation. Kidney Foundation, etc.
Wife's parents died young and we contribute to Heart and Cancer in their honor. We give to a local school for troubled youth. Church and yes, NCC. It's an ethical dilemma that each has to answer for themselves. No right or wrong way to do it.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I can totally understand that. I feel that way also, but get the "guilties" about not increasing donations to charities that can really make a difference....Ronald McDonald House. Last Wish Foundation. Kidney Foundation, etc.
Wife's parents died young and we contribute to Heart and Cancer in their honor. We give to a local school for troubled youth. Church and yes, NCC. It's an ethical dilemma that each has to answer for themselves. No right or wrong way to do it.

I hear what you mean. Sometimes I get the "guilties" as you put it about not donating, but I also realize I am a college student who only has $300 or less to his name at any given time. When I graduate, I plan on donating to the NCC, but at the same time, I don't know how much (maybe $20/month or so). I try and do what I can, but with my projected income and debts when I graduate, as well as starting up an IRA; it's going to be some tricky financing. However, if I still live on less than $200/month like I do now, it should be a little easier. :wink0st:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I hear what you mean. Sometimes I get the "guilties" as you put it about not donating, but I also realize I am a college student who only has $300 or less to his name at any given time. When I graduate, I plan on donating to the NCC, but at the same time, I don't know how much (maybe $20/month or so). I try and do what I can, but with my projected income and debts when I graduate, as well as starting up an IRA; it's going to be some tricky financing. However, if I still live on less than $200/month like I do now, it should be a little easier. :wink0st:

Don't be guilted into the NCC, I joined once I got my feet under me. Spend your $$ on a downpayment for a house and get yourself on solid financial ground before you worry about football tickets. You have to have perspective. I think I was 28 before I joined the NCC.

The one thing I will never give any money to is the ISU foundation. Man they are annoying...

Hi I am sally (with an indian accent), I am a member of (whatever your major was), do you remember (insert main building of said major).... UGH, I know they are not even in that major... They annoy me to no end.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Don't be guilted into the NCC,

I was referring to the "guilties" about churches, MS foundation, ADA, etc. I'm going to have to play it by ear anyway. I really don't know what my financial situation will be right after college, so I'm doing quite a bit by ear as it is. I fly by the seat of my pants baby! Whoo!

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
If you're a college student none of this thread really applies to you. You've got no money. [this is where I would insert one of those stupid smiley faces that everybody likes to use, except I don't know how]

I think the NCC runs all their money through The Foundation.
Don't forget ISU alumni dues.

Some charities are probably more deserving than others, this thread was supposed to draw theory to the top.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Sorry Jerry, I just thought I'd throw my two cents in there. I was basing it off of what I'd do if I had money/time. However, I really don't have much of either. Oh well, sorry about that I guess....

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Sorry Jerry, I just thought I'd throw my two cents in there. I was basing it off of what I'd do if I had money/time. However, I really don't have much of either. Oh well, sorry about that I guess....

From the amount of time it seems you spend on this message board, I would bet you have plenty of time.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
Something you can do for most charities that you can't for NCC is donate your time as well as funds. You can participate in sponsored events or man man the phones for a funds drive. That way you can involve more people than just yourself and your family.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Don't be guilted into the NCC, I joined once I got my feet under me. Spend your $$ on a downpayment for a house and get yourself on solid financial ground before you worry about football tickets. You have to have perspective. I think I was 28 before I joined the NCC.

Agreed 100%. Although if you are an alum, the Varsity tickets with a minimum donation are only $250. You can get 2 for $450. That's a great deal and if you can, I would take advantage of that deal.

As for the ISU Foundation, I have a crap load of student loans to payback. The ISU Foundation won't see $1 from me until those are paid off.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I know I don't donate as much as I want or probably should but I'm trying to get my post-college debts paid off first. The credit cards were easy, the car hurt a little more, and the student loans are going to hurt for awhile.