I thought that the Towers were being demolished

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Facilities website has them investing $1.5M in fire and smoke detection for Wallace and Wilson. And, another $250k for re-opening Wilson. Weren't those two buildings scheduled for demolition?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
DoR needed the room a few years back, so they reopened Wallace. Wilson has been used for housing camps, etc. for awhile. I don't know if they plan to use Wilson to house students in the future as well.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I believe they are opening Wilson for students. I think I heard a rumor about that last year.
On another note, I had a friend that lived in Wallace this past year. I went to visit him a few times and I was actually rather surprised by the place. Its really not that much different than MWL. It doesn't have as nice of stuff b/c of demand but it wasn't the dump that I thought it would be.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The previously closed one had been in use by some of the departments for faculty offices last year. Looks like they won't be doing that again

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I lived in Wilson my freshman year, and Larch my soph. Not much difference between the two.

That walk down Welch in Dec-Feb could really suck, however.

Not sure why there was a rush to implode them. If it's reopening, I'm guessing it wasn't structurally unsound or anything.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The previously closed one had been in use by some of the departments for faculty offices last year. Looks like they won't be doing that again

Yeah, that would be the Statistics Dept. The Snedecor Hall renovation was completed earlier this summer.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I lived in both Knapp and Storms. Weird that they are gone. Glad the other 2 are still around. i'd like to show the kids the old stomping grounds this fall.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm betting that the asbestos removal costs for those 2 buildings would be pretty high before they'd also have to pay to implode them on top of that. Both those buildings you could not have hanging lofts in because of the asbestos in the ceilings.

Acording to this: News Service: Iowa State University it cost roughly $3 mil to implode Storms and Knapp and that was back in 2005. Wallace and Wilson were in much better shape than those 2 were so I'm guessing cost wise it is more economically feasible to keep them open and up to date than to destroy them and have to also pay for replacement costs for new construction as well.

I was glad I was able to witness it because this is pretty close to where I was and it was a heck of a show to watch:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4C9SHNzysw]YouTube - Iowa State: Knapp & Storms Hall Implosion[/ame]

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I had a hanging loft in both Knapp/Storms. At least I think it was hanging. It was about 3' from the ceiling, I know that. It was cramped (and dangerous)on certain occassions.:smile:

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I used to live in Wilson and had a room on the south end that had a very nice view of the Towers' beach to the south :biggrin:

That made the long winter treks north to campus a bit more bearable.

The loft discussion brought back many memories.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No way I would want to live out there. Too far from campus and I've heard they stick all the foreigners in them.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Only in the winter did it suck. But it kinda made you feel like you were "off campus". My floor was pretty much all Amercans. In fact, not sure there was a foreigner at all in the whole place - that I can recall. Back then, Hamilton (??) Hall was the exchange dorm.

Only thing that really sucked was we averaged about 2+ fire alarms per week.

I had a hanging loft in both Knapp/Storms. At least I think it was hanging. It was about 3' from the ceiling, I know that. It was cramped (and dangerous)on certain occassions.:smile:

It also took about a month go gain confidence that the damn thing would hold you. I recall putting the thing together and got it up - and thought to myself "no freaking way..."

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

You could in Knapp and Storms but not Wallace and Wilson.

I lived in Storms for not quite 2 years. Was not too thrilled when I heard Towers was my first RA assignment because they were known as the party buildings on campus but they grew on me enough that I re-upped for a 2nd year before transferring to another building the final year I did the RA gig. I was pretty fortunate to have one of the more well-behaved floors in Towers but I will admit the weekend on-calls could really suck some nights. There were a few nights that I could tell were going to be eventul ones when I did my first set of rounds at 7pm that I would just call DPS ahead of time and tell them they might as well do 2am quiet hour rounds with me that night because I was not in the mood to mess with drunken idiots.

Other than the ocassional idiots and the weeks where some dbag would pull the fire alarm at 3am every other night Towers was a pretty unique place. I think it was better suited for the non-1st year students because if you came in with an established set of study habits all the extra stuff going on out there wouldn't get you easily distracted. I think if I had lived out there my freshman year I would have been in some big trouble academically. Thankfully I was on a floor in RCA where there wasn't maybe 10 freshmen on the entire floor of around 50 or so the upper classmen kinda kept you in line at times and set good examples of when it was time to party and when it was time to get serious about doing some schoolwork.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I didn't think it was all that bad. Only in the winter did it suck. But it kinda made you feel like you were "off campus". My floor was pretty much all Amercans. In fact, not sure there was a foreigner at all in the whole place - that I can recall. Back then, Hamilton (??) Hall was the exchange dorm.

Only thing that really sucked was we averaged about 2+ fire alarms per week.

It also took about a month go gain confidence that the damn thing would hold you. I recall putting the thing together and got it up - and thought to myself "no freaking way..."

I just rode CyRide on the really cold days.

Yeah, I had one of those floors where they had continous housing meaning you were allowed to stay through all the breaks which meant more international students. There were a few that kept to themselves that you hardly ever saw come out of their rooms, some that really need to take a shower, but the worst of them all was the 1 American kid that was the biggest slob on the floor that when he opened his door you could smell the odor 1/2 way down the hall. One time he found a carton of milk in the fridge that was like 3 months old that was causing some of the smell but it was mostly because he just needed to shower more than once or twice a week.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I just rode CyRide on the really cold days.

Lines were too damn long. And you just stood outside waiting for the bus anyway. Translated - I was too cheap to buy the pass.

There was nothing to save you getting down Welch to about T-Galaxy. But from there you learned pretty fast how to building hop and get out of the cold. :yes: