Big XII heading south?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I dont like it. I don't like that state getting one more advantage in the league.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
One one hand, I don't want it to be moved to Texas permanently. A trip to KC (every other year) is much more convienient for the North teams.

One the other hand, I'd be happy to see ISU playing in a Big 12 title game no matter where it was held.

Reactions: cyfanatic

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
No way. I'm sure that's probably one of the most amazing venues in all of sports.....but it's also a ridiculous advantage for the already stacked South. Bring Texas or OK up to KC and let them play the North teams in the snow and ice every other year....

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
What has the attendance at Arrowhead been like compared to Reliant stadium? I am sure Jerry Jones is giving them a sweet deal to have in Dallas, but it would practically be a home game for Oklahoma and Texas.

The team that needs to speak up is Nebraska, they are (were) the powerhouse of the North and Tom Osborne still carries respect the football world. ISU doesn't carry much weight in this discussion since they have not been a championship game.

I do like the game being in KC every other year as it gives the northern schools an advantage of being use to playing in the cold. But I can see it being played in teh South, in a weather controled dome to ensure that the best team is winning not just the best team that can play well in snow.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
It should alternate between Arrowhead and the new Cowboy Stadium. This would be a tremendous slap in the face to the six teams in the North. I understand the appeal and the draw, but KC has a first class venue with an excellent bar and restaurant scene as well as plenty of hotel space to go around. I'm adamantly opposed to moving these type of games to southern, warmer locations and that goes for bowl games as well. I think the idea of having a bowl game at Yankee Stadium is great idea, and I'd love to see some of these struggling bowls moved to more northern cities.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I dont like it. I don't like that state getting one more advantage in the league.

This. What a crock of ****. I am sorry but part of college football is being able to play a game outdoors late in the year when its cold and the weather is unpredictable. It's already bad enough that Texas and Oklahoma will never play a November road game against a North Division team because its too cold for them. Does every decision that the Big XII conference makes have to cater specifically to Texas & Oklahoma?

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
It should alternate between Arrowhead and the new Cowboy Stadium. This would be a tremendous slap in the face to the six teams in the North. I understand the appeal and the draw, but KC has a first class venue with an excellent bar and restaurant scene as well as plenty of hotel space to go around. I'm adamantly opposed to moving these type of games to southern, warmer locations and that goes for bowl games as well. I think the idea of having a bowl game at Yankee Stadium is great idea, and I'd love to see some of these struggling bowls moved to more northern cities.

I agree with this. It's ok to play a football game in the cold. Fans will still show up.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Amen. Look at the attendance at some of these bowl games and it is pathetic. I actually sat and watched the 1st quarter of the PapaJohns bowl game a few years back and it literally looked like there was 1,000 people at that game. The announcers kept having to explain that the side of the field opposite of the cameras was empty because all of the fans were sitting on the side behind the cameras..... Yeah Right. :skeptical:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Distance to Arlington, TX (miles)-
North
ISU: 789
NEB: 644
MIZZOU:684
KU: 526
KSU: 525
COL: 906
AVG: 592

South
UT: 203
TTU: 329
A&M: 189
BU: 102
OU: 196
OSU: 276
AVG: 216

Distance to Kansas City, MO:
North
ISU: 229
NEB: 206
MIZZOU:120
KU: 50
KSU: 130
COL: 628
AVG: 227

South
UT: 739
TTU: 732
A&M: 725
BU: 638
OU: 373
OSU: 317
AVG: 587

Looks pretty fair to me. CU gets screwed no matter where the B12 Champs are held and the OK schools pretty much split the difference.

Cat4ISU

Oct 11, 2008
Spencer, IA
I agree, this is a load. I think MORE bowl/championship games should be played in the North. The South already has the season schedule in their pocket by not playing games in the North when there is a remote chance of being below 50 degrees. If you don't think people will show up...ever heard of Lambeau? Soldier Field?

Doesn't Texas have enough teams to have their own conference? + Oklahoma.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
IF the football championship moves to Dallas permanently, would an acceptable trade off be moving the basketball tournament permanently to KC?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Another reason I want to see the original Big 8 tell the 4 Texas teams to "**** off". We let them in and now they think they own the place...

The former Big 8 schools need the Big 12 schools more than the Texas schools need the North.

If the old Big 8 existed today, say hello to watching games on the CBS College Sports network.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The former Big 8 schools need the Big 12 schools more than the Texas schools need the North.

If the old Big 8 existed today, say hello to watching games on the CBS College Sports network.

Do you mean the Big 8 schools needed the Texas schools more so than the Texas schools needed the Big 8 schools? Perhaps, but the SWC died for a reason, and those four on their own would be worse off than the Big 8 on its own. They needed each other, and people need to stop thinking in terms of Big 8 vs the Texas schools. Really it is about the South and North agreeing about what is best for the conference as a whole. The South is where the money is...the wealthier the Big 12 is the better for all. Now what should be discussed is having revenue sharing similar to the Big 10.