Family Guy Episode to NOT be aired... possibly.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
LINK

July 25, 2009

Fox unlikely to air abortion episode of 'Family Guy'

By Steven Zeitchik & James Hibberd

News Corp. paid Seth MacFarlane the ultimate compliment when it made him Twentieth Century Fox TV's $100 million crown jewel. But the "Family Guy" creator wasn't exactly returning the favor at Comic-Con..
At the series' panel Saturday, MacFarlane continued his show's tradition of jibing its host studio and network.
MacFarlane revealed he's producing a controversial episode about abortion for the upcoming season. But he and others on the panel said that Fox was unlikely to air the episode.
"Twentieth Century Fox, as always, allowed us to produce the episode and then said, 'You know what? We're scared to f--king death of this,'" MacFarlane said.

The episode will probably be available on DVD, he added.
A Fox spokesperson said that no decision has yet been made on the matter.
When asked for further comment, MacFarlane emailed a statement: "Clearly my sarcasm doesn’t come across in print. I completely support whatever decision Fox makes. We were allowed to take a crack at this controversial story and that’s enough for me.â€￾
There were few details offered about the content of the episode, but given the show's penchant for political incorrectness -- it has in the past featured a character wearing a McCain/Palin button on an SS uniform, among other flourishes -- it's unlikely Planned Parenthood would use the episode in a PSA anytime soon.
If Fox chooses not to air the episode, it would be the second time in "Family Guy" history the network opted not to telecast the show. In 2000, the episode "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" was rejected by the network, though the show later aired in syndication and was on the show's DVD set.
It's exactly the sort of controversy that's unlikely to wound the hit series, however. Even if the program never airs on broadcast television, envelope-pushing content is the show's specialty and outrage could boost DVD sales if/when the episode is released on home video.
The news comes on the heels of "Family Guy" making history as the first animated series in decades to receive a best comedy series Emmy nomination,
The shows creators continued the anti-Fox theme with a send-up of "The Empire Strikes back" -- the follow-up this season to its fan-favorite "Star Wars" parody -- in which the rolling text at the start of the episode chastised the movie studio for letting George Lucas walk away with merchandising rights to the property.
"Are you listening stockholders?" the text asked. "This is the same company that canceled 'Family Guy' twice. Who's running that joint?"
MacFarlane, who inked a $100 million overall deal with Twentieth Century Fox TV earlier this year, has taken aim at Fox before, particularly Fox News, which he sent up in an episode that had female lead Lois Griffin working at the net.
Panelists didn't reserve their arrows just for their own network, though.
After one too many audience members asked a loopy question, MacFarlane, perhaps recognizing a key part of the show's audience base, quipped. "Is anybody here not stoned?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I think family guy has gone downhill since it started getting "controversial" as the article points out. When the show came out its specialty was hardly "envelope pushing content." The last two or three seasons it started trying to be relevant and have a message, at the same time the writers have become more and more reliant on extended music video style spoofs. If you go back and watch something from the first 4 seasons it was funny without trying to be edgy. I bought the first six seasons on dvd the day they came out, now I don't even bother watching it when it's on.

If you want to watch some decent social dialog in a cartoon you won't beat South Park. Family Guy doesn't come close in that category.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1AhfjW15k"]YouTube - BEST OF QUAGMIRE[/ame]

I tend to agree. "Love thy trophy" is still my favorite episode from.. season two? There was more character development in the early episodes, which to me creates more entertainment value. "Love thy trophy" has the line by Quagmire when he's confronted by the child services worker about this neighbor the Griffins where he replies, "Griffins.. bunch are card carrying commie's if you ask me!.. Alriiiight.. No No it's not alright!". Classic line.

I think family guy has gone downhill since it started getting "controversial" as the article points out. When the show came out its specialty was hardly "envelope pushing content." The last two or three seasons it started trying to be relevant and have a message, at the same time the writers have become more and more reliant on extended music video style spoofs. If you go back and watch something from the first 4 seasons it was funny without trying to be edgy. I bought the first six seasons on dvd the day they came out, now I don't even bother watching it when it's on.

If you want to watch some decent social dialog in a cartoon you won't beat South Park. Family Guy doesn't come close in that category.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Seth MacFarland has to wake up with a smile on his face. The way the show is recently, he only has to come up with 15 minutes of content every week. In a half hour episode, you get two, 4-minute commercial breaks...so you only have to come up with 22 minutes of actual content. Since just about every episode of Family Guy has one or more spoofs of movies that are no less than just an animated version of the real thing (MacFarland just has to animate something that's already written) then they just have to come up with 15 minutes of actual content/storyline.

This guy got $100 milllion for that? I suppose it's all about viewership. I stopped watching new episodes about a year and a half ago. Honestly, the South Park spoof of Family Guy made me realize how dumb some of the stuff from that show really is. I still love the old episodes though!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Seth MacFarland has to wake up with a smile on his face. The way the show is recently, he only has to come up with 15 minutes of content every week. In a half hour episode, you get two, 4-minute commercial breaks...so you only have to come up with 22 minutes of actual content. Since just about every episode of Family Guy has one or more spoofs of movies that are no less than just an animated version of the real thing (MacFarland just has to animate something that's already written) then they just have to come up with 15 minutes of actual content/storyline.

This guy got $100 milllion for that? I suppose it's all about viewership. I stopped watching new episodes about a year and a half ago. Honestly, the South Park spoof of Family Guy made me realize how dumb some of the stuff from that show really is. I still love the old episodes though!

I disagree. I think the show is pure comic genius. Maybe it just really clicks with my sense of humor. IDK. Some of the stuff is funny like fart jokes and some of the stuff is funny only if you are current on political and cultural news. Good stuff.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The South Park send off of Family Guy was hilarious because it's completely on the money. However, I still enjoy Family Guy (not near as much as South Park) mostly because of the characters. The plots are ridiculous, but some of the character interactions (particularly between Brian and Stewie) are hilarious.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006

Agreed. South Park is funny when it doesn't try to be Family Guy and Family Guy is funny when it doesn't try to be South Park.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
The plots are ridiculous, but some of the character interactions (particularly between Brian and Stewie) are hilarious.

Yeah but I prefered it when Stewie wasn't a flaming homo, was hell bent on killing Louis and there was more rivalry between Stewie and Brian

Road to Rhoad Island and Road to Europe are classic examples of what their interaction should be like :yes:

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
The South Park send off of Family Guy was hilarious because it's completely on the money. However, I still enjoy Family Guy (not near as much as South Park) mostly because of the characters. The plots are ridiculous, but some of the character interactions (particularly between Brian and Stewie) are hilarious.

Family guy is funnier than ever. South Park couldn't hold a bucket of **** to family guy. It takes the South Park guys like 2 days to make an episode. It takes family guy about 6 months. I know it takes more than longevity of creating an episode to make a show funny but I just prefer Family Guy more. Never got into South Park, always thought it was lame with the exception of a few episodes.

Last edited:

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I agree Family Guy loses some of its luster when they try to get too preachy, much as The Simpsons has. I'll never completely give up on The Simpsons as it still makes me laugh at least once an episode and it remains my favorite show of all time. I'll probably never completely give up on Family Guy either, but I agree, they should leave the political commentary to South Park.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I think the difference between South Park and Family Guy is when South Park does a political episode Park and Stone insert their take on the subject while in Family Guy they just make fun of everybody.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Family Guy is totally wacky and crazy. But it appeals to my sense of humor. If I want something more serious, but just as funny, I'll watch Futurama.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
I think the difference between South Park and Family Guy is when South Park does a political episode Park and Stone insert their take on the subject while in Family Guy they just make fun of everybody.
Yeah South Park never makes fun of anyone.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
This is just a ploy by seth and fox. They make their money on dvd sales. What better way to get attention and pub to buy the dvd?