ISU Foundation Student Caller Raises $1 Million

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Good work out of him, brought in a lot of money for the school! Personally, I could never do a job like that, cold-calling and asking people for donations. He's obviously good at what he does, and even if he goes into an unrelated field that will look good to future employers.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I hope he gives me some of that money so I can replace the answering machine tape that was worn out recording 10,000 messages from him.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I hope he gives me some of that money so I can replace the answering machine tape that was worn out recording 10,000 messages from him.

Agreed. What pisses me off is getting those calls 1 year after graduating. I realize every bit helps, but man I have 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans to Iowa State University and you are calling and asking me to donate money? Hmmmmmmmm.......

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
That is an amazing accomplishment! I worked at the foundation making calls for a summer while I was there. It is a difficult job and you are completely drained at the end of your shift...I also felt dirty for getting ppl to give their hard earned money. IMO, universities are similar to the government in that they waste a ton of $. I think one positive of the bad economy is that the universities are now having to be more careful w/ their budgeting. Sadly, I can't bring myself to say no when they call me now because I know how bad the job stinks. :no:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
My name must have come up on the list again this week. I have been getting 1 or 2 calls per night. I know it is them because they are the only place that ever calls that comes up as "No ID" on my caller ID.

I really wouldn't have a problem with them if they just came out and asked me for money. It bugs me that they BS me with the small talk for so long and then they smack you over the head with a request for $500. And yes, they started calling like 2 weeks after I graduated. I have some bills to pay first guys, but nice try.

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Agreed. What [iritates me] is getting those calls 1 year after graduating. I realize every bit helps, but man I have 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans...

They called me and I told them to check the amount of money I paid to ISU for parking tickets and consider that my donation. They stopped calling after that.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I won't give them any money after having to deal with one of their higher up employees at a former job...but good job out of this guy.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
My name must have come up on the list again this week. I have been getting 1 or 2 calls per night. I know it is them because they are the only place that ever calls that comes up as "No ID" on my caller ID.

I really wouldn't have a problem with them if they just came out and asked me for money. It bugs me that they BS me with the small talk for so long and then they smack you over the head with a request for $500. And yes, they started calling like 2 weeks after I graduated. I have some bills to pay first guys, but nice try.

I've experienced this exact same thing. Memo to the foundation, if I say no on Monday, things will not change by Wens, Thurs, or Saturday.

It got so bad (frequent), the last call I took went:
"Hi, is 'Scott' available?"
"Yes, but if this is Iowa State, quit calling!" (Hang up)

I felt horrible, but it began to get ridiculous. One call every 6 months? OK. 4 calls a week? No thanks.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My typical conversation with them: (paraphrased of course)

"Would you like to donate $500 to ISU?"
"I would love too, but can't afford it. I just graduated and have no money."
"ok, what about $350?"
"like I said, I can't afford it at this time."
"ok, what about $250?"
"I am so broke, I'm having trouble buying my groceries. thanks though."
"ok, what about $150?"
"I can't. I won't. I have NO MONEY."
"ok, what about $100?"
"Nope. seriously, I have no money. call me back in a few years when I have a job and all my loans are paid off."
"ok, what about $50?"
....... you get my point. I know they are just following their sales pitch, but its sooo annoying.

But, congrats to that kid. Good Job!!

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House

"ok, what about $350?"
"ok, what about $250?"
"ok, what about $150?"
"ok, what about $100?"
"Nope. seriously, I have no money. call me back in a few years when I have a job and all my loans are paid off."
"ok, what about $50?"
....... you get my point. I know they are just following their sales pitch, but its sooo annoying.

Ok. What about $25?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: ianoconnor

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

"ok, what about $350?"
"ok, what about $250?"
"ok, what about $150?"
"ok, what about $100?"
"ok, what about $50?"

My typical conversation:

"Would you like to donate CLICK"

Honestly I hang up on telemarketers so fast I don't even know if they're calling about ISU, my car warranty expiration, a polictical survey, or to sell Ginsu knives. And I don't care, I hate those callers so much I would electrocute the SOB's through the phone line if I could. Lucky for that kid that I can't. At least, not yet....

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I know that the calls can get annoying, but it is a major fund-raising arm of Iowa State. Don't forget, without their work we would not have Hilton, the Iowa State Center, or Jack Trice, so........keep things in perspective. Just sayin.......

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My typical conversation:

"Would you like to donate CLICK"

Honestly I hang up on telemarketers so fast I don't even know if they're calling about ISU, my car warranty expiration, a polictical survey, or to sell Ginsu knives. And I don't care, I hate those callers so much I would electrocute the SOB's through the phone line if I could. Lucky for that kid that I can't. At least, not yet....
What if the telemarketing was saying this...
"Would you like to donate $1 and then receive $500,000 in return since you would be our 1,000,000th donator???
Man, that would suck.. shouldn't have hung up on them! :jimlad:
Actually, I usually hang up too, but sometimes I just like to hear what they have to say and take up their time. When I worked in telemarketing at Viking Magazine in Ames (sucks), it always ****** my off the most when people would make me take them through my entire sales pitch and then not buy anything. It was a huge waste of my time. People who hung right up on me, were my favorite!

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I, too, worked for the Foundation for a semester. I always got the "yet to give" lists, tons of fun! And the halfway point where everyone who was under-performing got pulled out of the room for a pep-talk, or as I called it halftime! Oh did I loathe that job... Funny thing is, the last month I was there I got the good attitude award and when I quit, one of the supervisors was pushed to try and talk me in to staying...