Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 to remain as Chevy Caprice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Nice. I've been interested in G8's as well, I'm going to be in the market for a new car soon. I'd still consider a G8 as long as I feel comfortable that I can still get service in the future, and having the car rebadged as a Chevy only increases my comfort level...

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
While I understand the sentiment, you do realize that the government has loaned GM a lot of your tax dollars right? Telling people not to buy is not the optimal strategy for getting them back.

Hahahahaha! We are never going to get them back. The best option is to punish those in charge by not supporting their folly.

Although even I have to admit the new Chevy Camaro looks awesome........

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
This is great news. The G8 is a fantastic machine. I'm glad Lutz is sticking around. He's one of the few 'doers' left in Detroit.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
The best option is for people to buy the best vehicle for their needs. If that happens to be a GM, then they should buy a GM. If others have a problem with that, tell them to go **** themselves.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Really wish they'd call it an Impala and take that name back to it's former greatness. The current version is a travesty.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Im hard to impress when it comes to speed. Not many people are with me when I say the new Camaro is slow either.

I guess so. You have to put it in perspective. It's a fast car when you compare it to other new $30K cars that are still comfortable, reliable, etc. Not everyone wants to drive their kids around in a top fuel dragster that gets 200 feet/gallon and needs to be rebuilt every 3 miles. What new sedan under $40K do you consider fast? I assume none.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
While I understand the sentiment, you do realize that the government has loaned GM a lot of your tax dollars right? Telling people not to buy is not the optimal strategy for getting them back.

The government paid off the legacy cost and gave the company to the Auto Workers Union as a political payoff. Who wants to support that corruption?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Either way, big G8 fans may at least be able to settle on retired police cars.

Yeah, I'm going to buy a used cop car the same day I buy a used taxi or a used rental car... Of course it would have cop motor, cop tires, cop shocks...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think they are just holding back the announcement. I think Bob Lutz just let the cat out of the bag a bit early. They would have to be idiots to cancel this car..