Ben Brust

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Meh, if he committed to ISU, this thread would be full of the following:

"I heard he had high interest from teams like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Florida."

"He was battling injuries, but before that he was really blowing up on the recruiting front."

"I spoke with somebody close to him, and Stanford, Virginia, and Wisconsin were very close to offering, but cooled off once we got involved."

Seriously. Every recruit Iowa is looking at, has looked at, or will look at is somehow horrible in the eyes of ISU fans. Yet, a 3 star recruit that commits to the Clones barely missed the cut at being a 5 star, and is of superior talent.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
We know, he sucks. Terrible decision for the young man. If only he'd chosen to go to ISU.

Hawk fans should really listen to the clones right now because what is happening in Iowa City is the same thing that has been going on at ISU. Mac just recently has admitted he underestimated the need for talent and with that realization by Mac has come some better players.

If the Hawks want to go through 3+ agonizing years, fine, but don't say we didn't warn you. I'm sure Lick is a fine coach, but I don't think he realizes the talent needed to play at this level and I really don't know why hawk fans defend so after watching us for the past few years.

Reactions: CyDude16

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

"I heard he had high interest from teams like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Florida."

"He was battling injuries, but before that he was really blowing up on the recruiting front."

"I spoke with somebody close to him, and Stanford, Virginia, and Wisconsin were very close to offering, but cooled off once we got involved."

Seriously. Every recruit Iowa is looking at, has looked at, or will look at is somehow horrible in the eyes of ISU fans. Yet, a 3 star recruit that commits to the Clones barely missed the cut at being a 5 star, and is of superior talent.

There are some shreds of truth embedded in this post. However, I think most Hawk fans would admit that the perceived talent that Lick is bringing in is less than stellar. IMO, his only chance to compete with guys like that is to have a great system, which he does. It's my thought, though, that he will only get over the hump by recruiting better guys than what's been had recently.

Heck, I once knew a guy named SouthernHawk on here that I bet would agree.:wink:

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
if illinois did not want him,why would the cyclones waste a schollie on him?????

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
There are some shreds of truth embedded in this post. However, I think most Hawk fans would admit that the perceived talent that Lick is bringing in is less than stellar. IMO, his only chance to compete with guys like that is to have a great system, which he does. It's my thought, though, that he will only get over the hump by recruiting better guys than what's been had recently.

Heck, I once knew a guy named SouthernHawk on here that I bet would agree.:wink:

SouthernHawk told me to tell you that he does indeed agree. He and I are pretty tight. :)

I also agree, the talent is indeed lacking for most part. However, these posts about how horrible Iowa's recruits are, when in fact they aren't that bad. They're good role players. However, I would like to see more of what ISU has been able to accomplish - a stud player that the team can build around.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seriously. Every recruit Iowa is looking at, has looked at, or will look at is somehow horrible in the eyes of ISU fans.
Not just in the eyes of Cyclone fans. Or did you miss the whole "no stars" thing?

I give credit where credit is due. And all of the interesting players on Iowa's recruiting list are committted elsewhere. The fact is that Lickliter is recruiting Butler type talent--which isn't going to work year in and year out in the Big Ten.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Not just in the eyes of Cyclone fans. Or did you miss the whole "no stars" thing?

I give credit where credit is due. And all of the interesting players on Iowa's recruiting list are committted elsewhere. The fact is that Lickliter is recruiting Butler type talent--which isn't going to work year in and year out in the Big Ten.

He's a 3 star on scout.com, and he's an 83 on ESPN.

Ben Brust - College Basketball Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

Scout.com: Ben Brust Profile

Rivals hasn't evaluated him yet. Or did you miss that?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Your sour grapes routine is getting real old. Geez.....

Face it.... kids that don't even get a recruiting rank from the recruiting sites think hawk basketball sucks. Get over it. :biglaugh:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Completely agree! I think most fan bases do it for their recruits though but since ISU has signed a lot of average players the last 3 years we are the king at making excuses for incoming recruits.

IMO Brust will be a solid player. He will never be a go to scorer but can be solid especially in Todd's system.

Smart choice on his part as he will have little to no competition for the starting PG position if that is where they chose to put him. I think for Iowa to be successful this kid needs to be a SG though

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Rivals hasn't evaluated him yet. Or did you miss that?
Apparently you're confusing "Not Rated" with "Not Yet Rated". Though I'm sure that since he's committed to Iowa, Rivals will probably slap a couple of stars on him...

And by the way, it was a Hawk fan who originally said "he sucks", not a Cyclone. What I said was "unremarkable"...or something like that.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Apparently you're confusing "Not Rated" with "Not Yet Rated". Though I'm sure that since he's committed to Iowa, Rivals will probably slap a couple of stars on him...

And by the way, it was a Hawk fan who originally said "he sucks", not a Cyclone. What I said was "unremarkable"...or something like that.

I don't care if a Hawk fan says he sucks, or an ISU fan says he's unremarkable. The fact is, he hasn't stepped on the court yet, and he has another year of HS basketball yet to play, and somehow he's been branded mediocre by people simply because he's not raking in the big time offers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't care if a Hawk fan says he sucks, or an ISU fan says he's unremarkable. The fact is, he hasn't stepped on the court yet, and he has another year of HS basketball yet to play, and somehow he's been branded mediocre by people simply because he's not raking in the big time offers.
No, he's branded mediocere because he's known, and not raking in the offers. If Iowa's biggest competition was Northwestern...well, they don't exactly focus on great athletes either, do they?

A player who no one has heard of, who hasn't got any other offers (like Gilstrap a year ago), that's a different matter.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

Bingo. This explains my first post in this thread.