fun fact about our alma mater

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Don't forget about two other ISU economics grads that went on to international leadership: John Garang, former VP of Sudan and leader of the PLA (who tragically died a few years back early in his vice presidency), and Lee Teng-hui, who was a long-time president of Taiwan.

See folks, that's what a degree from Iowa State can get you.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Don't forget about two other ISU economics grads that went on to international leadership: John Garang, former VP of Sudan and leader of the PLA (who tragically died a few years back early in his vice presidency), and Lee Teng-hui, who was a long-time president of Taiwan.

See folks, that's what a degree from Iowa State can get you.

Also started the Sudan/Darfur conflict/civil war. Now you've all learned two things today.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Awesome! We have a guy who started one of the bloodiest conflicts of the new millenium, a guy who may be involved in some major election fraud, AND our university helped enrich uranium for the atomic bomb? I didn't realize ISU stood for International Strife University. I'm a little worried that I'm going to turn 30 and suddenly decide to invade Canada.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Awesome! We have a guy who started one of the bloodiest conflicts of the new millenium, a guy who may be involved in some major election fraud, AND our university helped enrich uranium for the atomic bomb? I didn't realize ISU stood for International Strife University. I'm a little worried that I'm going to turn 30 and suddenly decide to invade Canada.

Do it:yes:

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Dr. Olivia Muchena did Anthropology PhD work at ISU. She is fairly senior in Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe regime, and was part of the whole land reform issue there (forceably removing large, primarily white farmers, under the idea of giving the land back to indigenous folks, but with large questions on how some ended up with land)

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site

Why do you think we get kicked in the balls so much? Karma's a *****.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I still think the coolest fun fact is the founder of Hooters is an ISU grad. Just surprised that considering that they don't have a Hooters in Ames!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He didn't finish did he? Been awhile since I read about it, just don't remember.

They do have family currently attending, or at least did last year. So theres still a chance. But I do forget if it was a relative of him or the other co-founder of Hooters.

Help Support Us

Become a patron