ISU Releases Cyler

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I'm disappointed, but not shocked. I'd hoped Cyler would want to stick it out his last year, but understand wanting to be with his brothers.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
If Sorenson can make 157, he is probably an upgrade to be honest. Dalton Jensen could make 157 too, plus Nate Carr Jr. is there also. Clark was going to red-shirt this year anyway, so Long could get in the lineup.

It sucks to lose these 2 guys, but ISU will be fine.

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
Losing Sanderson is a step back... but the guys behind him could make the national tourney.

But as KJ put it in the DMR that Clark was going to have a tough time making the team at 125 with long and valles(i think thats how you spell it)

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't have a problem with them releasing Cyler as much as I would other members of the team.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I understand transfers and how this is probably what would happen but for one year? If I was in the situation I would probably want to finish what I started. It's a different time I guess.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Yet again, one of our athletic programs bending over for a committed student-athlete.

Incorrect. Wrestling is a sport where you can be really hurt by not releasing a guy who does not want to be there.

Releasing Sanderson is fine. If they put restrictions on Clark then they did the right thing there too.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Who really cares which or how many wrestlers leave Ames and move on to greener pastures....The "real loss" is when you let a coach leave and it leaves your program in a lurch!!!

As usual I blame good old Jamie Pollard!!!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Who really cares which or how many wrestlers leave Ames and move on to greener pastures....The "real loss" is when you let a coach leave and it leaves your program in a lurch!!!

Yeah, we get it. Anyway... back to the topic at hand.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's called taking the high road, and the high road is never easy - that's why it's called the high road.

I understand its the high road, but for 1 year?
Don't forgot that the taxpayers (I'm one of them) probably already were taking the high road when we were paying for his education, food, housing, and for a sport that could lead to a very profitable career for him.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Yeah, and the high road seems to be our constant route. It seems to be a circular road as well.....doesn't get us very far.

I hear you. I get so frustrated with our lack of success that it drives me crazy. But when it's all said and done, the high road is the only thing in life that matters. Unfortunately, there's little glory on the high road.

Not to get off topic, but it brings up an interesting question: Would you rather be the Univ of Memphis and make it to the NCAA basketball finals with a program that has cheated (i.e., low road), or Iowa State University with a program that has lived near the bottom of the Big 12 the last few years because they have refused to give in to the temptation of taking short cuts (e.g., high road)? I would chose the latter.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

Yeah, if only JP could have matched Cael's offer and terms from PSU. Oh wait, Cael never even gave him a chance. Yeah, Jamie is definitely the bad guy here. Pushed Bobby D out early to give Cael the opportunity of a lifetime with no head coaching experience.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron