Director's Cup

ZCyclone

Mar 24, 2009
Ames, IA
So what does the #1 team in this get each year? A traveling trophy (cup-shaped?) with DIRECTOR'S inscribed across its majestic face, and the hallowed previous winners etched into history on its base?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So what does the #1 team in this get each year? A traveling trophy (cup-shaped?) with DIRECTOR'S inscribed across its majestic face, and the hallowed previous winners etched into history on its base?

I don't know, either way it is permanently parked at Stanford. They have won like the last 10

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Here is a interesting graph. Since the Director's Cup is supposed to be a indicator of a programs health, here is how we have done in the director's cup in comparison to our three major sports.

Red= football
Green=MBB
Purple=WBB
Blue=Director's cup

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I know that many on here could care less,

And others of us couldn't care less.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Football and men's basketball are what drive this train. We aren't healthy unless they are healthy.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Here is a interesting graph. Since the Director's Cup is supposed to be a indicator of a programs health, here is how we have done in the director's cup in comparison to our three major sports.

Red= football
Green=MBB
Purple=WBB
Blue=Director's cup

Oh, 2001, how I miss you.

It's great that we are having success in these other sports, but the fact remains that they are not the revenue generators that football and basketball are. Overall success is a good indicator of the athletics program as a whole, but when you get down to it we're only as strong as we are successful in football and basketball. Luckily it seems like we're going to see a turnaround in the next couple of years.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Oh, 2001, how I miss you.

It's great that we are having success in these other sports, but the fact remains that they are not the revenue generators that football and basketball are. Overall success is a good indicator of the athletics program as a whole, but when you get down to it we're only as strong as we are successful in football and basketball. Luckily it seems like we're going to see a turnaround in the next couple of years.

Keep in mind with that graph, that when it says 2001, that would be the 2000 football season. It is based on the end of the academic year.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Football and men's basketball are what drive this train. We aren't healthy unless they are healthy.

I know what you are saying, but for the purpose of this discussion, football has no impact because it is based on rankings and we are never ranked. You can definitely see a correlation between basketball (men's and women's) and our director's cup finish.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

You got that right. Stanford, the annual winner of this Director's Cup, is having to cut $$$ from their athletics budget (and maybe even sports).
Betcha AD Bob Bowlsby would trade the Director's Cup in a second for sold-out football games and major bowl apperances...

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I know what you are saying, but for the purpose of this discussion, football has no impact because it is based on rankings and we are never ranked.

Not just based on rankings...bowl games also are a factor.

Unranked bowl winners get 45 points.
Unranked bowl losers get 25 points.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
we will go down more once spring sports are taken into account.

the count includes all spring sports to date (example: WBB is included). I believe there are only two or three sports still playing. It is also likely we will get more points still from track and field.

Last edited:

SgtPepper

Jan 6, 2009
the count includes all spring sports to date (example: WBB is included). I believe there are only two or three sports still playing. It is also likely we will get more points still from track and field.
softball, baseball, mens golf, womens golf, mens tennis, womens tennis, mens lacrosse, womens lacrosse, mens t&f, womens t&f.

there might be more, but thats a lot of points of which we will not get many.

MohawkCy88

Oct 12, 2008
TKE house

Red= football
Green=MBB
Purple=WBB
Blue=Director's cup

Did you make the graph? If so, I think you need a girlfriend.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
softball, baseball, mens golf, womens golf, mens tennis, womens tennis, mens lacrosse, womens lacrosse, mens t&f, womens t&f.

there might be more, but thats a lot of points of which we will not get many.

Yeah, but allot of those points will be going to schools that are already ahead of us.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
So then why did you pull up a thread that is two days old?

I seriously have to wonder about people who go out of their way to mock others:no:

First, not everyone can spend lots of time every day on all the threads that are interesting. It showed in my listing as latest unread and at the top of that thread for me.

Second, I'm not mocking anyone. I'm just saying that the "director's cup" doesn't much matter to me, and that's why I said what I did.

Third, it brought a bit more discussion to the thread.

Finally, who has the most posts in this thread?

CyWantsAWin

Apr 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Red= football
Green=MBB
Purple=WBB
Blue=Director's cup

I am really surprised that given our success in those three sports in 00-01 that we were not higher.